Kings On Surface

Young Gun

Hi all, went for a bash early this morning. Was on the water at 5.30 with a good mate. Got out through the moorings and BAM schools of kings smashing on the surface. :1prop: OK... stay calm what should i do? I tried everything i had in my tackle box, Plastics, hardbodies, Sluggos, metal spinners, we flicked for over an hour at various school and a big fat 0. :1badmood: We tried around the edges and in the middle but nothing. Could anyone give me any ideas on some tactics or things to try to give me a better chance next time? Or if anyone has any success with getting them on the surface and how did they get them?

Thanks guys, YG :beersmile:

Hi all, went for a bash early this morning. Was on the water at 5.30 with a good mate. Got out through the moorings and BAM schools of kings smashing on the surface. :1prop: OK... stay calm what should i do? I tried everything i had in my tackle box, Plastics, hardbodies, Sluggos, metal spinners, we flicked for over an hour at various school and a big fat 0. :1badmood: We tried around the edges and in the middle but nothing. Could anyone give me any ideas on some tactics or things to try to give me a better chance next time? Or if anyone has any success with getting them on the surface and how did they get them?

Thanks guys, YG :beersmile:

Try a small saltwater fly in blue pilly patern or tiny crome slices and wind quick...

HAHA yeah mate, ive got a 6yr old bro and sister * twins * and to satisfy them is basically impossible. Yeah i saw some guys having a flick on their fly rods, didn't seem like any luck. I thought i was going to at least get a hit. :mad3: I actually think i hit a few on the head but still no takers. Any particular size/color sluggos i guess that depend on what they are feeding. I didnt try a popper.. hmm might be the missing piece to the puzzle :):1fishing1:

Cheers Guys, YG :1fishing1:

i reckon you did everything right. usually a popper or unweighted sluggo works

just remember kings can be pickier than a 6yr old at the dinner table

If only you could send those Kings to bed and get them to turn up at the same spot the next day even hungrier. :074:

Cheers John

They can be impossivble when they want to be, very frustrating. A couple of days in January I spent 4 hours casting at the same school for 0 landed, hooked a few for an inexperienced mate but he wasnt too good with fighting them and lost them. I know its hard but sometimes when they're like that you're better off just not bothering.

kings are suckers for small peaces off pilly fillets on blackfish hooks

LOL, pilly fillets on blackfish hooks, might work, but a decent king would break the hook in 9 places, that is if it even manages to hook onto their mouth.

When they are fussy things to look at are the way they are travelling. If you can see which way they are swimming and move to the front of them and cast before them and start cranking. I find they will not move away from their path after lures when fussy. If it's travelling in the same direction they sometimes do.

3" Watermelon bass minnow on a size 1H 1/20th or 1/16th cast on a bream outfit or go totally oppisite and use a 12" sluggo with a good size ball sinker. Long casts, let it sink down and wind like hell.

Greg

They are indeed picky at the moment.

Have managed a couple, and have lost a couple as well ( which to me is a great thing, ie, the fish on top have plenty of big fella's in the pack as well ) the fish i've lost have been from straightened hooks. Which is part and parcel of fishing with bream style of lures )

As for ripping the lures thru the pack ??? NOPE !!

Don't forget the bait they are chasing is VERY small, small bait sure dont swim all that fast. Hence the reason not to rip the lure thru them.

Try the smallest lure you have, but slow down your retrieve.

Having said all that

My money at the moment is on the fly fisho's, i reckon they have more of a chance of a hook up, than us lure tossers.