Name That Fish

Snapperless

Hi All

Went to North Maroubra yesterday for a rock fish. A long cast is required to get past the reef, onto sand. I didn't put enough oommff on my first cast and ended on the reef. Brought it up to re-cast and found this fish on the end.

Does anyone know what it is. Scales small, very slimy not much of a fight.

I am planning to eat him today.

post-9139-1257026786_thumb.jpg

I also caught a keeper squire (snapper) and a trevally.

That would be a wirrah and I bet you wont enjoy that at all,commonly called old boot.

Best to release those fish unharmed back to whence they came :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

mmmm that's called an old boot i think you have to boil it in a big pot with an old boot till the boot is tender then eat the boot :074:

a mate off mine used to eat them and he said there ok so let us know what there like you will never know unless you try one

cherrs gary

Wirrah cod are apparently targeted by many asian people. Because the 'old boot'...has very different flesh you need to prepare it a different way to make it edible. And yes they are nice =]. Like all fish, if you treat it the right way and prepare it the right way they can be palatable. Just like aussie salmon.

Justin :1fishing1:

Gday Snapperless. :1welcomeani: to the site. Plenty of great advise and interesting reading that's for sure.

Not trying to detract from your catch, but you should be really careful keeping fish before you've possitively identified the species. You don't want a nasty sting or a fine. Grab a fish identifying book or DPI booklet from your local tackle store. When you're not fishing, they make great "toilet reading". :1prop:

Cheers :thumbup: ,

Geoff.

Edited by g.t.

Thanks for all the advice.

My catch has been lean lately and I got a bit desperate taking this fish.

I did fillet, skin, debone and cut into small chunks.

Used the fish in the stir fry and fed the family old boot stir fry.

The flesh did not flake away in the stir fry and there were no complaints.

I have seen them sold for $15/kg in a fish market in Cabramatta and they sold very well. They taste alright steamed. But the one I got kind of have a stink in the tummy. I was wondering then they were called old boot because its tummy smelled like one.

As l am asian, l say it is nice fish . we like the flesh like grouper and it is simliar to that.

Fillet it, chop into small pieces and make sure u deep fried it. ( it is important but after deep fried the flesh will become softer and dont taste like rubber)

And u can stir with wtever sauce u want.

best table fish l have eaten after u deep fired

I've been catching these fish for years. When I lived at Bondi I caught stackes of them from Ben Buckler & a chinese family would come down & take all of them. They told me they were feeding there cats with them

which I didn't really believe as I tryed one on my sisters cat & it wouldn't go near it. They were probably eating them like you & laughing at the stupid aussies :1prop: who gave the wirras to them without trying different methods of cooking them. I'm talking about the late 60's so there was no internet to look up for receipes & fish raider was decades away.

Regards Jeff

RECIPE::

Remove skin from flesh and place flesh aside.

wrap moist skin around bare feet ,secure and allow to dry.

When the skin is completely dried it will form to the shape of your foot, then attach with rubber bands or gaffer tape - should last a couple of seasons.

( Alternative use is to place inside bike tyres to repair punctures.)

Discard left over flesh into egg cup, allow to dry and use as squash balls,

OR, just toss back into water.

Tuffy

well there you go old boot sir fry :074: that just goes to show you there is a way of eating wirra

i might have to give that one a try cheers gary

Hi Gary..

Know you'd try anything once....lol..

The chinese restrautants usually steam they with a sauce,but i dnt really know with what ingredients???..lol

i know theres soy sauce and oil in it but thats all for me.. :thumbup:

Cheers LALA