A Quick Arvo Fish At Avoca

Ray R

Hi Raiders, it's 5:00pm, the wind dies down, beauty, I'm goin' for a fish, chuck some gear in the car,

some smelly old pillys and around the rocks I go.

I trudged around to the lower ledge , put the gear down cut a few pillys in half wacked on a tail and

out she goes. It was pretty quiet so I decided to grab a few red crabs, as I'm up to my elbow in one

of my fav crab crevaces I look up at my rod to see her buckled over and line peeling off at a rate of

knots, I jump up to the rod and put the brakes on this thing, about half of my 300m of mono is gone,

start to retrieve and after 5 or so minutes had a small crowd of 10 or so people around one of which is

another Raider (pinkus), anyway to cut this short I managed to heave this big flapping eagle ray up

onto the ledge, unhook him, take a pic and sent it back in the drink.

That was about it for the arvo, had a couple of small attacks on the crab bait but nothing exciting,

however as I stand there staring out into the briney I spot 2 whales cruisng by, I gave them a wave

and not long after that a small pod of 6-7 dolphins cruised by no more than 50 metere from my ledge,

what a nice sight, not a care in the world.

Anyway at 7:00pm 50 million flies and myself pack up and head home, and that was my arvo at Avoca.

post-3371-1257246856_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1257246782_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1257246757_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1257246894_thumb.jpg

The clarity of your photos is extraordinary, Ray :1yikes: The colours in the ray are terrific, and the close-up of the crab is a beauty! Looking at the bubble on the crab, it looks like there is a reflection of someone wearing a broad-brimmed hat?

Cheers

Skip

The clarity of your photos is extraordinary, Ray :1yikes: The colours in the ray are terrific, and the close-up of the crab is a beauty! Looking at the bubble on the crab, it looks like there is a reflection of someone wearing a broad-brimmed hat?

Cheers

Skip

Yeah even better colours when seen up close.

Edited by Hodgey

Hi ray

just had a read of your other thread, nice work shame they were just under

i was wearing a straw brim hat that day hodgey but i dont think thats me in the reflection! good spotting tho

the pelican didnt eat my yellow tail in the end ha. i packed him up and headed down to the beach after i saw you. fished the only gutter i could see for about 300m either side of the shark tower (i think it is?)

was getting numerus bites on pilchard, hooked something very solid that wouldnt budge and eventually let go (could have been weed? i dont know) but end of the day ended up with 1 x 28cm bream which i let go. and made me believe all the other bites were bream of similar size

hope to see you there again

Great pictures and nice report. Aren't you scared of the crab pinching you when you catch them?

Nah they only have small nippers, at best it's just a slight tinge of pain.. Hah..

Great report Ray, what is the type of camera you use.

that ray would have been fun to bring in.

It's a Canon 8mp, 6 x zoom, PowerShot A 720 IS.., and yes that thing was flapping to NZ before I stopped him..

That's a nice ray.. Ray!

Hi ray tom,

love your pics awseome eagle ray. :thumbup: When were up at Avoca one of our favourite things two do is catch those crabs! :yahoo: Just wondering how do you bait them? Through the middle of there shell or? Rock on TOM!!!!

Hi ray tom,

love your pics awseome eagle ray. :thumbup: When were up at Avoca one of our favourite things two do is catch those crabs! :yahoo: Just wondering how do you bait them? Through the middle of there shell or? Rock on TOM!!!!

G'day Tom, the first couple of baits are half crabs and some legs,

then when I get some interest from big blue I'll put whole crabs on

6/0 double strengh hook, through the belly and out through the back.

Ray,

As everyone else has mentioned great photos... you sure know how to capture a photo!!!

And as for the Ray that would have been some fun that's for sure...

If the weather is not too bad this weekend I might head up there again just cant get enough of it even if I dont catch anything cant wait till my time off at Christmas might have to stay for a few days if possible!!!

Regards,

Nathan