Out From Roseville Monday 9/11

saltrix

As I couldn't arrange company I set out from Roseville alone about 5.30am.

As it was low tide I didn't try for squid, but trolled around Grotto Point for zero.

post-3961-1257746488_thumb.jpg

The conditions looked good outside.

So I headed over to north Head and trolled around the point where I picked up 3 Bonito on a 5" bibbed lure.

The headed out to DY wide to try the flathead but only got 1 keeper and several throwbacks.

Then moved a bit south to the mowie grounds where I got a couple of nice fish.

post-3961-1257746378_thumb.jpg

A large humpback whale passed on the landward side heading south, it was a bit late as most went much earlier. Tried to take a photo but the swell was a bit much.

The wind came up about 10.30 so I called it a day a bit early.

post-3961-1257746179_thumb.jpg

Edited by saltrix

Pretty good mixed bag Saltrix.

Shame about the flatties, in the rivers we have been getting them up to 85cm on whole pillies, usually we are getting 3 or 4 a night the only exception was last Saturday when we got nicks.

Mowies are great and they look pretty decent size, what did they go BTW???

Good piccies too, well done!

Pretty good mixed bag Saltrix.

Shame about the flatties, in the rivers we have been getting them up to 85cm on whole pillies, usually we are getting 3 or 4 a night the only exception was last Saturday when we got nicks.

Mowies are great and they look pretty decent size, what did they go BTW???

Good piccies too, well done!

BTW? Don't know that one . I did not measure or weigh them but they were about 39 cm and about 1kg. Each fillet was a good meal for one.

What river was producing the flatties? I thought I might give the crabs a go next week so would be interested in some info about the flatties.

Nice bag mate, are there any offshore flattie grounds closer to the harbour than DY? Also, what do you look for on the sounder to signify a good area ie depth, bottom structure etc?

Straight out of The Heads in 40-50m will see you get flatties.

Basically anywhere with sand / gravel in depths of 40-50 (sometimes even to 60m) should see a few flatties grace the decks...

Nice bag mate, are there any offshore flattie grounds closer to the harbour than DY? Also, what do you look for on the sounder to signify a good area ie depth, bottom structure etc?

As the previous reply straight out from the heads on the sand produces flathead in 40 to 50 m, and I have done quite well in the 45 to 55m depth off Rosa Gully to the south, drifting along to as far south as the Bondi headland. An unusual bycatch out there are winter whiting. What they are doing in 50m taking pilchards on a 5/0 hook I do not know but i\I have often caught them.

Where I fish they are mostly marbled flathead and are best Sept. Oct. when they aggregate I suspect to spawn. I fish on gravel but the grounds straight out are sand as is the bottom at 45m off Rosa Gully.

Trawlers give these areas the once over sometimes and the catch falls off after they have been through.

Regards.