22/11/2009 - Palm Beach/pitt Water Fishing

disturb3d

Hi Guys,

Me, My cousin and his mates decided to wet a line today. We left home at around 11:00am and headed towards Palm Beach. We arrived at Palm beach at approximately 12:00pm and we fired up the BBQ to have a quick feed.

At 2:00pm, We hired a boat for 2.5 hours at the local marina and headed out towards the heads. When we arrived at our spot, we lowered the burley bucket and set the trail. As soon as we threw our lines in, 2 mins later, a mate is on. He reels his fish in and lands a 40cm tailor. Straight afterwards, we're all on. All of us land tailors between 35-40cm long.

After fishing for about 30mins or so, a mate lands a nice 20cm yellowtail. So i decide to send him out for live bait. As soon as i re-rig up my 8 foot outfit (obviously i wouldn't bring a 12' rod on a boat) for a live bait setup, I throw the livie in and left the bait runner on. After 10 mins or so, we we're still catching tailor left right and centre the biggest going at 43cm, then we see the 8' rod start to bend and hear the reel start to scream.

I quickly run to my rod and fought the fish. The fish just kept running and running and at the same time I was trying to loosen the tension off my drag (25lb line). After running for about 15seconds or so, the fish just stopped, I was thinking to myself, F#@k I lost it, then the reel started to run again. I fought the fish for a solid 5 mins. All mates were looking at the side of the boat for colour and as soon as a mate had the net ready, They were like F$#K ITS A SHARK. At the same time we were all excited and freaked out by the catch.

We left the shark on the side of the boat for a while (all tired out) to take time to talk it out. "HOW THE HELL ARE WE GONNA GET THIS ON THE BOAT" and "WHO'S GONNA TAKE THIS HOME TO CLEAN IT". After pondering for a while we decided to cut it loose and live another day. We guessed the shark to be around 130cm-140cm long.

At 4:30 we decide to head home and cook up the Tailor we caught for a nice fried feed.

Overall a good trip out with good company and a story to brag about next time around.

Total Fish Caught: 30+, took home about 12

14335_211488296653_783246653_4135083_5082213_n.jpg

14335_211488306653_783246653_4135084_4764826_n.jpg

14335_211488311653_783246653_4135085_4078960_n.jpg

14335_211488316653_783246653_4135086_8329813_n.jpg

Cheers

Mark

post-10646-1258891043_thumb.jpg

Nice Haul of Tailor there!!!!

What's it worth to hire a boat up there might have to do it some day???

Regards,

Nathan

Yeah it was good fun mate! Boat was only 80 bucks for 2 hours, which seats 6 people comfortably. I think it gets cheaper when you hire longer.

sounds like a top day. :thumbup: ...could've converted that flake to dinner....

Yeah, i could imagine the look on the MRS :wife: face when i come home with a Shark.. "Honey, can you clean this up for me, Pretty Please". HAHAHAH

I wouldn't have a clue how to prepare shark, some say you mince em up and batter it.

Thats a great haul of Taylor mate :1prop:

Should have kept the shark, they actually taste great- you can fillet and skin them same as you would a fish then cut the fillets into steaks or slivers.

dip them in milk and coat in flour to make a create batter, shallow fry until golden brown.

Flake actually tastes like a cross between chicken and fish (if you can imagine eating fish without the strong fishy flavour then shark fits the bill) :0

YUMMO!!!!!

sounds like a action couple hours on the boat mate,top work.nice bag of tailor & good work to land the toothy.lucky you werent bitten off,obviuosly lip hooked?any other fish besides the choppers & shark?looks like a tail of a snapper in the top right of the pic.

cheers johnny. :thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi

sounds like a action couple hours on the boat mate,top work.nice bag of tailor & good work to land the toothy.lucky you werent bitten off,obviuosly lip hooked?any other fish besides the choppers & shark?looks like a tail of a snapper in the top right of the pic.

cheers johnny. :thumbup:

Yeah mate, it was a pretty good 2 hours. It was a pitty we didn't come any earlier. Yeah landing the toothy was a bit of an effort especially on light tackle. Fortunately I brought a half decent reel along. Yeah the shark was lip hooked. Yeah, we caught a snapper aswell but threw it back. The snapper was a tiny bit over 30cm but threw it back. Apart from tailor, we caught a few yakka's which we threw out for live bait.

nice tailor there for a midday run, usually we get them at sunrise / sunset.

one thing i noticed, they taste better if when you catch them you cut there throat to bleed them, it realises there amonia... just a thought

Yeah mate, we usually do hit the decent sized tailor around that time aswell, for some reason they just kept hitting our bait. Must have been the burley that made them go crazy. I'll try bleeding them out as you mentioned.

HAHA My :wife: says I can go fishing anytime but she does not clean fish, capish :1prop:

HAHAHA my wife says I can't go fishing all the time because she hates it, hence why i tell her to stay at her parents house or spend time with her mates.

Thats a great haul of Taylor mate :1prop:

Should have kept the shark, they actually taste great- you can fillet and skin them same as you would a fish then cut the fillets into steaks or slivers.

dip them in milk and coat in flour to make a create batter, shallow fry until golden brown.

Flake actually tastes like a cross between chicken and fish (if you can imagine eating fish without the strong fishy flavour then shark fits the bill) :0

YUMMO!!!!!

Yeah, between us all, we've never caught a shark or know anything about preparing it and no one would've volunteered to clean it either. :1prop:

Yeah mate, it was a pretty good 2 hours. It was a pitty we didn't come any earlier. Yeah landing the toothy was a bit of an effort especially on light tackle. Fortunately I brought a half decent reel along. Yeah the shark was lip hooked. Yeah, we caught a snapper aswell but threw it back. The snapper was a tiny bit over 30cm but threw it back. Apart from tailor, we caught a few yakka's which we threw out for live bait.

Yeah mate, we usually do hit the decent sized tailor around that time aswell, for some reason they just kept hitting our bait. Must have been the burley that made them go crazy. I'll try bleeding them out as you mentioned.

HAHAHA my wife says I can't go fishing all the time because she hates it, hence why i tell her to stay at her parents house or spend time with her mates.

Yeah, between us all, we've never caught a shark or know anything about preparing it and no one would've volunteered to clean it either. :1prop:

Awseome job mate. Keep those fishies comin! Rock On TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!