Celebrating Dene M's Birthday

Hodgey

Gday all

What better way to celebrate Deno's birthday today than with a quiet session on the water. 630 am saw us on the water and fishing the shallows with plastics. For the first time in quite a while, we saw good numbers of solid whiting, and those XOS flatties were out in force once again. Very first cast of the morning, and the birthday boy lands a nice flattie about 48cm. "That'll be 1 - NIL, Skip!". Hmmmm ... it was going to be one of those days was it? Five casts later .... :074:

post-3198-1260594354_thumb.jpg

76cm - (released)

Dene changed to a popper, and had a couple of 'lookers', including a terrific flattie that tried to maul his popper and somehow missed both trebles :( A couple more fish went into the esky and off we went. We saw Darkhorse (visiting Raider) drifting on the flats as well. We tried another stretch of shallows, and Dene managed to attract the attention of another crackin' flattie with his popper, again without success. A couple of casts later, and he is a happy camper :biggrin2:

post-3198-1260594752_thumb.jpg

37cm

While we were drifting along the flats, we noticed a good school of tailor smashing the daylights out of some bait fish in the deeper water. "Wanna have some fun?" he asks. "Yeah, why not!". Pulled up just short of the boiling water, and both poppers are smacked as soon as they land! There was no real size to them, although I did manage a 'double hookup' that was a first for me :1prop:

post-3198-1260595098_thumb.jpg

Later on, I also managed to set a new PB for the SMALLEST fish on a popper :074:

post-3198-1260595171_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a fun day on the water, with the final tally being 9 flathead, 11 tailor, I flounder and 1 whiting.

After lunch, I caught up with Darkhorse (Rob) and his family. Rob was enjoying his visit, and was planning another session this afternoon ;) I look forward to your report when you get home, Rob! Have a great weekend everyone

Cheers

Hodgey

haha Nice 2 fish on one popper :thumbup:

you seem to land alot off nice sized whitting and bream on poppers which look alot bigger than mine...

Im using river2sea bubblepop 35 and cant seem to land any decent fish not in the hacking georges or even the entrance ..... all i seem to land are small snappers and tailor is the lure too small??

Onya Skip! :thumbup:

A great day out and a top way for Dene to celebrate his birthday!

Twenty + fish is a good tally with some crackers included.

Love the double hook-up and the little fish on the big popper.

I still can't believe how often you get those 70cm+ flatties. Magnificent! (I can't get past 69cm!)

Cheers

Peter

Happy Birthday Dene! :1happybday:

Sorry I didnt get to say g'day at the boatshed cafe, I had to go and pick up the :wife: from the ramp.

Hodgey, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you in person (first fishraider in fact), I really appreciate you going out of your way to come and say hello, really made my day.

Great to see the actual pictures of the fish you caught, and were describing to me. The family and I went out that evening, the :wife: hooked up a few but each time the fish threw the hooks, she was NOT impressed!

Packing up the boat that evening I slipped off the trailer and hurt my leg :ranting2: I was planning to get out at first light Sunday, but could hardly walk. After taking some serious pain killers, I awoke at 8.00am looked outside and dragged my bung leg and boat down to the lake.

A few hook ups, but again thrown hooks. Might have to invest in a small file. As I mentioned in Slinky's post, to be able to sight fish and see HUGE flatty's swimming around before they see me was awesome.

When it came time to leave, we didnt want to go. Absolutely love Tuross and already counting down the days for our return visit. The lake and surrounds are so beautiful. The fishing is awesome, but don't tell anyone else on this forum, otherwise the secret will get out :074:

She who must be obeyed wants to sell up and move down there! Maybe find a small patch of grass and set up the tent in the short term!

I lost count the number of flatty's I caught, the smallest being 52cm and the largest 65cm, all bar 2 went back. Seen a fellow fisho, whom I started talking too whilst having a relaxing coffee at the boatshed catch and land a 85cm monster croc!

Thank you again for all your help, information and tips. I cant wait to get back down there.

Regards,

Rob.

P.S. no pictures as the missus had the camera, being the typical tourist she is and taking family happy snaps in the town!

Thanks all for your birthday good wishes.I think I`m getting to the point where I don`t want to count anymore!

The young apprentice is coming along well and starting to catch a couple of reasonable fish after considerable tuition.Would be even better if he didn`t want to change lures every 5 minutes.

Thanks again,

Dene M.