Royal Botanic Garden

clem

Hey there all.

I will be in the city on Friday evening to drop my brother and his wife off at his Christmas party on Darling Harbour so I thought why not wet a line?

Will give the Royal Botanic Gardens a go and was wondering if it is worth my while and what to expect?

I do not expect to get monsters but some trev's or bream would be great.

If there are other spots close by that would be good as well because I still have to pick them up again.

Dropping off at 7pm and fish till when the mobile rings :(

Cheers and thanks

Clem

Edited by clem

Yeah - Bluebottle is right - you can only fish from the jetty/wall closest to the Botanical Gardens, but not IN the Botanical Gardens - I was there a few months ago & checked it out with of their rangers.

I would love to get my yak in there & fish the weed beds just around from the Opera House, tho, directly in front of the Botanical Gardens - HUGE BLACKFISH there!!

Good luck!!

Roberta

Thanks for the feedback all.

Just got back from soccer and had to get on the sight before the shower to check the feedback.

Yes I was planning to fish the wall on the far side from the opera house by the steps as I was there a few months ago when I dropped the wife off to go to a hens party so I popped in and there were guy's fishing and the rangers came by and it was no problem.The guy's however were getting no action but I am assuming that this was because of winter/colder times.

I have also popped in at walsh bay and you are right about it getting full there bluebottle18.

I tend to do a lot of popping in at places to have a look and the family are never impressed with me as it always takes longer than I mention :1prop:

So it seems like that would be my spot for this Friday and my action plan is as follows :wacko:

1. Burley with a mixture of old bait and bread.

2. Fish light and cast out to be able to retrieve slowley.

3. Get action and HOPEFULLY land LEGAL size fish.

4. Use bread and prawns maybe even chicken.

Does that sound sensible enough to all out there or am I missing something? :(

Feel free to add. :1prop:

Cheers Clem

I have always wanted to chuck a lure in behind Harry's at woolloomooloo.

The bream there are frigging huge!

Love watching the buggers eat the bread off my hot dogs on the way home from town late at night!

Just watch out for the rats, I'd hate to try get ya lure back from one of them!

I have always wanted to chuck a lure in behind Harry's at woolloomooloo.

The bream there are frigging huge!

Love watching the buggers eat the bread off my hot dogs on the way home from town late at night!

Just watch out for the rats, I'd hate to try get ya lure back from one of them!

I work around the corner from there only 5 mins away, and I finish up around 6-7am,

we used to catch some monster Bream (40cm+) and big Tailor (50cm+)there. I even

had my gang hooks straightened twice on the same day using whole pilly on a float, while

I caught bream on my other rod. All the fish around there are fat. I stopped going there

half a doz years ago when I baught a boat.

Dont know if you are allowed to fish there anymore though.

cheers

Roberta, check the hole out on the western side just around from the Opera house near the gates used to be allowed to fish it as a kid was a good 20 foot deep monster blackies the best spot is the eastern ledges on Mrs Macs point the isolated rock or the flat ledges on the point at low tide you need to wade theres also Joes Rock a red spot nothing to get 60 ina session there when they school up!

Hey there GregL

Sounds pretty good to me and if I don't get anything I can always get a feed at Harry's :1prop:

I think I will give it a go but I will first go for a walk and check the area out b4 wetting my line.

The resturants along there might turn out to be good if it is fishing friendly.

Should I still burley or just move along till I find some action and then burley to keep them around?

Anyway wish me luck and I will give feedback when I return.Hopefully with something good/worthwhile.

Cheers Clem

Hey there GregL

....Sounds pretty good to me and if I don't get anything I can always get a feed at Harry's :1prop:

...Anyway wish me luck and I will give feedback when I return.Hopefully with something good/worthwhile.

Cheers Clem

Good luck this time Clem!! you've certainly been trying hard enough to get onto something decent landbased for a while now....Anyway good onya mate and just remember to take photos of the area and whatever fish you get hold of, otherwise just post up a good photo of yourself while you're eating one of Harry's pies with peas :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

With all this rain should I still give it a go or does it not make a difference?

Maybe I will be lucky and actually do good :1prop:

Being possitive will be taking the camera with.

Thanks for the good wishes Jewgaffer.Always possitive feedback from you.Greatly appreciated.

Cheers Clem

With all this rain should I still give it a go or does it not make a difference?

Maybe I will be lucky and actually do good :1prop:

Being possitive will be taking the camera with.

Thanks for the good wishes Jewgaffer.Always possitive feedback from you.Greatly appreciated.

Cheers Clem

Back of harrys will be fine and there is a 24/7 shop just over the road if the pea and pie diners arent there and you need some bread for burley. I think the only real concern will be the navy police but they are ok as long as you stay on the other side of the fence.

G

.....there is a 24/7 shop just over the road if the pea and pie diners arent there and you need some bread for burley.......

G

Not a bad idea Greg, to save two blokes crossing the road wouldn't it be easier for you to buy one of harry's left over pie and pea scoopers or better still Clem pays the extra still on a share basis and buys one of their latest rhino model three in one hot dog combos.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

dont forget you can use the fresh bread to good effect on the bream.iv caught most of my bigger bream on bread.the rig is simple.the way i rig up is,from your braid mainline[if you use braid that is],tie on a leader of around 8lb,tie on at least 1mtr.to that,fish it unweighted on a small size 8-6 hook.i use mustad needle sneck size 8.[green ludrick hooks].the way i fish it is burley a little bread,on top & some to float down under the surface,cast out & leave the bail arm open.once the fish picks it up,you'l know about it,line spills off quick.give it a couple seconds then click the bail over & set the hooks.you dont really need to strike,the hook usually sets when you click the bail,setting the hooks by stopping it in its run.

hope this helps 7 good luck mate.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

....Roberta, check the hole out on the western side just around from the Opera house near the gates used to be allowed to fish it as a kid was a good 20 foot deep monster blackies the best spot is the eastern ledges on Mrs Macs point the isolated rock or the flat ledges on the point at low tide you need to wade theres also Joes Rock a red spot nothing to get 60 ina session there when they school up!....

Thanks LA - if Mrs Macs Point is within the boundary of the Botanical Garden (unfortunately, I think it may be) I'd only be able to attack it from the yak! First, find a place to park the ute & somewhere to put the yak in! Since seeing those big blackies there earlier in the year, it is on my 'to do' list ........ just WHEN is the question!

Cheerio

Roberta

Well I still have a clean record. ZEROooooooooooooooooo :1badmood:

Got to harry's and had my std. 2 chilly dogs and while eating I fed the fish to check out the action.

It is extremely tricky as the birds are way ahead of ones intentions :1prop:

Plenty of baitfish from what I saw.Parking was an issue.None existant.Everything is full and the parking at harry's was only 15minutes so I was not willing to take the chance.

Looking to my left the hotels had boom gates and you needed a pass to get in with your car ofcourse and going for a walk and fish might end up being a problem with private property issues and all.

To the right was the naval base which was fenced off and with all this you still have the parking problem. :(

Decided to go to Botanic Gardens and ended up on the Southern side opposite the naval ships because the Opera House side was packed with party boats.

Burleyd Like crazy for nothing, NOT even a nibble.Moved closer to the pool and did the same.

Well what do you know NOTHING.

At this point I said to my daughter that we might as well pack up and find our way back to the waterfront and wait for our passengers.

So after 2hours of fishing my record remains intact. :1prop:

I guess my time will have to wait AGAIN.

Cheers for now.

Clem

Hey there Johny.

I was using prawns,pillies,chicken and strips of squid.The strips however were not fresh.

Do however have another plan of action/attack but it will have to wait a while.

Cheers Clem

Guess who went back to try his luck again?

I had my 2 harry's chillie dogs again and found that you could walk along the front of the resturants and end up at the front on a solid jetty and fish.(thanks penguin)

From what I could gather was that as long as you stay on the jetty and do not move back towards the apartments you should be fine.

There was security patrolling this area and monitoring/keeping an eye on us.

I got there at 8pm and fished untill 11pm. I landed a platesize snapper which went back and lost a small tailor which bit me off during the fight which lasted all of 15seconds :wacko:

Anyway :wife: called to remind me that I still have work the next day so I reckon I should go and get some beauty sleep now.

1.Bread = no action.

2.Chicken got all the action.

3.HUGE COCKROACHES got all my action. :1prop:

Cheers till next time.

Clem

Edited by clem