Best Time To Go Fishing Based On The Tides And Moon Phase

sydneyfishoaddict

hi all. i just downloaded an apps for my iphone called 'fishcal'. im just wondering if anyone have tried using it. according to the calendar the best days to go fishing this month are as follows;

botany bay

15/12

327-623

1813-2100

16/12

359-641

1845-2122

17/12

426-708

1907-2149

18/12

448-739

1921-2216

31/12

350-641

1840-2122

can anyone please let me know if you caught any fish based on the dates and times listed above. thank you very much.

was out in BB on 16th dec. Caught a few Bonnies at the heads trolling about 7am. After that wind was blowing like crazy all across the bay and didnt end up catching much after that.

Caught heaps of undersize tailor near the third runway on the way home about 12pm.

Wasnt so great day for fishing.

so this app basically just gives you some dates around new moon and full moon

i was fishing in BB yesterday 18/12 in the late arvo/evening.........it was windy but i was in a sheltered area

[edit]actually i went early morning for a quick spin and saw no action either hehe

nothing....not even a sniff heheheh

Edited by dinos22

hi all. i just downloaded an apps for my iphone called 'fishcal'. im just wondering if anyone have tried using it. according to the calendar the best days to go fishing this month are as follows;

.........can anyone please let me know if you caught any fish based on the dates and times listed above. thank you very much.

Hi sydneyfishoaddict That's a very good post by Tadpohle particularly regarding the all important feeding cycles and habits of animals, birds and insects used as a comparison to show the affect of "mother nature" on marine life.

Anyway I thought I would have a quick look and see if there is a trend in the times referred to in this softwear that's apparently available for iphones in regards to the best times to fish seemingly on a monthly basis and see if the method used was other than just going off working moon phases into the better tide times....

I have addressed each period referred to in regards to the tides and the different moon phases for the particular times and during the days mentioned...

Botany Bay

15/12

327-623

AM TIDE:- The high tide on the night before was a small tide of 1.24m and had bottomed out at .50m with a relatively short still water period, and was predicted to turn to run back in as such from approx 3.30am onwards..

The AM tide times referred to as the "best times to fish" on the 15/12/2009 were perhaps basically meant to make an allowance to have a enough margin in the stillwater period and fish for the first couple of hours into the run in tide -

However it is not so noticable that the low tide stillwater times which are generally regarded as good bite times for species going up in the pecking order were taken into account in the three hours allocated for the AM session.

1813-2100

PM TIDE:- The high tide was a small tide at 1.25m and peaked at approx 19.47pm.. the night hours referred to as "the best times to fish" for the 15/12 meant starting off at 1813 and fishing from say 1 1/2 hours before the top of the tide until 1 1/2 hours into the run out tide

MOON:- The 15/12 was 1 day before the black of the moon

------------------------------------------------------------

16/12

359-641

AM TIDE:- contained the same 3 hours approx of AM fishing time that was given for the day before, but this time the tide was a much bigger high of 1.75m (at 8AM) on a night of the black of the moon, and the long settling period within the early am low tide stillwater may not have been included.. i.e. the same three hour period of fishing was given as the best bite period for the day before which had a much smaller high tide of 1.25m .

1845-2122

PM TIDE:- High tide was approx 2027hrs and the night hours referred to as "the best times to fish" for the 16/12 being from 1845 - 2122 and were the same as the hours for the 15/12 - i.e. starting approx 1 1/2 hours before the top of the tide and fishing thru the high tide stillwater and then fishing on approx I hour into the run out tide, and the length of time for the tide to start to run in the other direction (the stillwater period) may have been meant to be included or taken for granted and might well mean fish a couple of hours down from the top of the tide as well..

MOON:- The 16/12 was the day of the black of the moon i.e. the day of new moon for the month of December.

-------------------------------------------------

17/12

426-708

AM TIDE:- Fish for approx 2 1/2 hours into the run in tide starting from the bottom of the tide

1907-2149

PM TIDE Fish for approx 2 1/2 hours starting 1 hour or so before the top of the tide until 2 hours or so into the run out tide -

The stillwater period may not have been fully allowed for within the period of 2 hours or so allocated for fishing the top of the tide down...

MOON:- The 17/12 was the first day after the black of the moon

----------------------------------------------------------

18/12

AM TIDE:- It was recommended to fish during the same tide times recommended for the 17/12

1921-2216

PM TIDE Ditto tide times as for the 17/12

MOON:- The 18/12 was the second day after the black of the moon.

-----------------------------------------------------------

31/12

350-641

AM TIDE:- .... Fish only the first 3 hours of the stillwater and the run tide combined has been recommended I'd say, despite a big tide of 1.93m due to peak at approx 7.30am and coming off a .4 low tide at 12.45am....

1840-2122

PM TIDE:- ...Fish for approx 2 3/4 hours i.e. from approx 1 1/4 hours before the top of a small tide due to peak at 1.35m at 2005hrs until approx 1 1/2 hours into and run out tide..

MOON:- NOTE.....The 31/12/2009 is for some reason the next target day mentioned after a gap of almost two weeks from the previous target day recommended i.e. the 18/12 .....

and is also actually the first day before the full moon of JANUARY 1ST I.E. New Year's Day 2010 !

Cheers !

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

thanks everyone for all the info. i havent had the chance to check the dates due to work and family commitments. hopefully, ill be able to go on jan 2nd. ill let you people know the outcome. ill post the january 2010 dates and times asap. regards to all and hope you all catch a big one soon. merry xmas and happy new year!!!

...thanks everyone for all the info. i havent had the chance to check the dates due to work and family commitments.

....hopefully, ill be able to go on jan 2nd. ill let you people know the outcome. ill post the january 2010 dates and times asap. regards to all and hope you all catch a big one soon. merry xmas and happy new year!!!

Hi sydneyfishoaddict,

A common trend in the "best times to fish" is universal throughout this information that is compatiable with Iphones etc and is basically governed by what they are led to believe are the "best times to fish", in other words the best "bite" times.... The fishing times recommended are purely based on tide times combined with selective or selected moon phases if you like for species in general....

There is nothing wrong with that.... It brings in a most natural situation where fish eat other fish... Naturally the larger predators we are targetting or hoping to catch would be in the vicinity or not far behind in the pecking order.... That is, provided that water factors and conditions in general allow, such as barometric pressure within the water column on the day etc particularly in the case of natural bottom dwellers and particularly pelagics find certain days adverse to extend their capabilities, and because of conditions those times often fall during or within those "best bite times in general" periods

Apart from the affect on the atmosphere by the moon, a factor which been open to consideration and debate over time, the authors do not bring in the variance to or the actual conditions in to the "best times to fish" equation whatsover... There is certainly nothing wrong with that.... the idea being to get the best out of certain peak bite period times in what we ourselves should assume or at least consider for what we have found to be either good and bad conditions....In doing that, we should not by any means regard the moon and particularly specific tide times such as these as being the complete overrider..... particularly when we all should know that the peak bite periods are generally up to 3 hours each side of each tide.... even then we make sure we fish the change over period whenever we can i.e. the stillwater period...

The authors are simply not allowing enough time near the tide changes governed by the length of the stillwater/s, in other words the pause, and the mix up of water during the clockwise movement of both tides...

To cover this, I myself prefer to fish over two full tide changes in the one session i.e. 14-16 hours of actual boating and fishing in order to fully allow for or follow both stillwater periods in chosen spots that are more affected by the turning churning movement of the tide than others which did not show such immediate action... When asked to give my opinion on the best time to fish in general or the best bite period, like so many others who have experienced the good times, the fair times and the poor times, I would not hesitate to say 2 hours or so before the low tide and two hours or so after, including the stillwater period... and 2 1/2 hours or so before the high tide peaked and fish on for 3 or hours or so into the run out tide...

Nevertheless, that works out to be 6 hours of high tide fishing and full tide fishing would take up near enough to 6 hours of fishing anyway....

Good luck on the 2nd of January sydneyfishoaddict, and it might be an idea to include as much information as you can regarding the type of day it was etc compared with the day/s before and after as well as showing the actual hook up times...

Merry Christmas to you sydneyfishoaddict, and to all my fellow Fishraiders and I hope you have a very happy and a most successful New Year in 2010 :thumbup:

Cheers

It realy gets confusing doesnt it.

I reckon just go fishing when you want and just enjoy the day on the water :thumbup:

Then again Basil my friend, like horse racing any system is better than none....an alternative to bullimia on the water might be to fish where you got to know you had hot bites if just to save burning the potatoes...

Cheers

thanks everyone...below is the dates for jan 2010. i hope it will help someone catch a big one. thank you very much for all the advice...

01/01

430-708

1912-2149

02/01

502-753

1925-2216

14/01

354-650

1831-2113

15/01

430-712

1849-2131

16/01

457-739

1907-2145

17/01

520-815

1916-2203

29/01

354-654

1818-2104

30/01

444-721

1840-2122

31/01

520-802

1858-2140

merry xmas and happy new year to everyone!!!