Best Bream Bait

diver1

thought ide start a topic that some of us amatuers could learn from , whats your opinion on best bream baits, and time to target them (night, day, early, late) and areas worth targeting. thanks.

i would have to say fresh nippers are my fav and you can pump them all day all you have to do is look for their holes and then suck them out.

driftwood

That depends on where you are fishing, for example there are bugger-all nippers in the Parra River so I find that fresh pieces of mullet give me the best results, or chicken gut, as they tend to stay on the hook better, but if you're fishing on a sandy bottom where you can catch nippers, then they are the go. I have also caught bream on small pieces of squid, so try everything as they are fussy little blighters.

Soft plastics are also successful, but not for me !!!

Cheers, Tuffy.

That depends on where you are fishing, for example there are bugger-all nippers in the Parra River so I find that fresh pieces of mullet give me the best results, or chicken gut, as they tend to stay on the hook better, but if you're fishing on a sandy bottom where you can catch nippers, then they are the go. I have also caught bream on small pieces of squid, so try everything as they are fussy little blighters.

Soft plastics are also successful, but not for me !!!

Cheers, Tuffy.

Strips of chook fillet in 1m of water on high tide close to shore with no weight at all at night.

Have your line loose, fish 3-4kg maximum. The bream will eat and swallow the bait and run off, just hang on as some of the bream you will hook will do your head in! We used to average a 1kg bream every 2 trips using this method.

As for spots, well there are lots in the Harbour, Port hacking and Pittwater. Just find a place that looks like it holds bait but is very shallow and come back at night time on the high tide and give it a go.

Edited by Yeeros

I've found that chicken Breast fillet or peeled prawns are usually pretty good for me.

I've also got them on squid strips and lately, (just purchased a bait pump) nippers have also been great for me.

However, I still have to fight my way through all the pickers for all of the above baits.

Hmm.. wonder if there is such a thing as scoring a keeper sized bream without going through the pickers...

Another thing you could try is using whitebait I have not done it for quite some time but when I did it was preety good but by what I have seen well might be very obvious to most raiders but you need to try get a feel for the surroundings i.e what bait is around and offer that because when using prawns which I find to be the most convienient bait that will work but you will have to contend with all the pickers most times.

Like Narrabeen lakes theres a heap of poddies around and by reading reports on here they seem to be preety productive for the flatties and the occasional bream so If your in the right spot you should get a few bream I think...

Good luck with it anyway this is just my 5 cents worth.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi, recently I was working at Taren Point we had lunch sitting on an old dissused jetty, I dropped a bit of Tandoori chicken from my toasted cheese, tomato, tandoori chicken and onion focaccia into the 500mm of water and it was instantly smashed! We watched Bream up to 40cm fighting over pieces we threw to them, they were smashing it as soon as it hit the water. I always carry a rod in the ute so had a flick around with a couple of soft plastics with no luck, it was depressing seeing the fish pay no attention to the lures, so I took of the plastic and put a piece of tandoori chicken on the jig head and was instanly hooked up then almost as quickly smoked around an oyster encrusted pole, this proceedure was repeated 2 more times till I got sick of losing jig heads and realised the fish had had more of my lunch than I had so I went back to work. Point of this long story is that the Bream seemed to love this cooked chicken, it gave off an oily slick when it hit the water, and seemed to drive them nuts.

Cheers, Langa

What I've found is, if you fish in an area which is muddy... There is a high chance there are plenty of prawns,crabs and yabbies in that mud.

I always see people throwing in HUGE slabs of chicken fillet, and beef without much luck, but when I use some natural bait I catch in the area, I get more hookups. I've had a lot of luck catching bream using crabs, and usually when it's a nice bite size and is a hard shelled crab. It usually hooks up to a legal. If not, it's usually in the low 20s cm.

Fishing in sandy areas (ie picnic point, east hills etc), there's sandworms, soldier crabs, nippers, and other types of animals. I don't really bother with bream in these areas, but there's always a chance. Float over weedpatches and rocky structure will usually get some good hits. I find casting out far doesn't do much at all...

Fishing deep water, (towards the ocean), I find baits like mullet fillet, guts, chicken fillet, fish fillet, and all of the above except crabs work like a charm. Cast out far, or aim at some structure.

Basically wherever you are fishing, research the area before you throw in a line. Spend a few minutes when it is low tide to look at the area. Finding out what sort of environment you are fishing at will save you hours of frustration and fish-less trips.

fresh white bread fished unweighted on light line & small hooks does the job for me & my mates & we'v caught some whoppers using this method.dont need to cast far[we fish landbased],just burly a bit of soaked bread around a snag or rockbar & they wont be far.we use light braid,so we cast,leave the bailarm open.when the bream piks it up,line will spill off the spool at a rate of knots.all you need to do is set the hooks by closing the bailarm.the hooks usually set by stopping the fish in its run.just make sure your drag is set correctly.we have had alot of sucess fishing this way with bread,but this method will work a treat with other baits too.we catch mixed bags with a variety of baits.

bloodworms are also a deadly bait.pumped & fished in the same area as you pumped them will bring some great fish.

also hardbods have done ok lately,both surface & subsurface.very visually exciting on topwater lures.small soft plastics can produce too if thats your style.

there are plenty of methods of catching bream,these are just a few ways i have had some sucess.i mostly fish the georges & pt hacking,so thats where we'v used these methods.

hope this helps a bit.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

fresh white bread fished unweighted on light line & small hooks does the job for me & my mates & we'v caught some whoppers using this method.dont need to cast far[we fish landbased],just burly a bit of soaked bread around a snag or rockbar & they wont be far.we use light braid,so we cast,leave the bailarm open.when the bream piks it up,line will spill off the spool at a rate of knots.all you need to do is set the hooks by closing the bailarm.the hooks usually set by stopping the fish in its run.just make sure your drag is set correctly.we have had alot of sucess fishing this way with bread,but this method will work a treat with other baits too.we catch mixed bags with a variety of baits.

bloodworms are also a deadly bait.pumped & fished in the same area as you pumped them will bring some great fish.

also hardbods have done ok lately,both surface & subsurface.very visually exciting on topwater lures.small soft plastics can produce too if thats your style.

there are plenty of methods of catching bream,these are just a few ways i have had some sucess.i mostly fish the georges & pt hacking,so thats where we'v used these methods.

hope this helps a bit.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Friend of mine swears by fresh bread and ahs caught heaps of big bream. I use worms at the same locations and catch twice as many fish but a significant number of those are undersize and the worms do get attached by every picker in the ocean - including starfish. Basically, the two baits catch big bream but he doesn't contend with as many pickers.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Strips of chook fillet in 1m of water on high tide close to shore with no weight at all at night.

Have your line loose, fish 3-4kg maximum. The bream will eat and swallow the bait and run off, just hang on as some of the bream you will hook will do your head in! We used to average a 1kg bream every 2 trips using this method.

As for spots, well there are lots in the Harbour, Port hacking and Pittwater. Just find a place that looks like it holds bait but is very shallow and come back at night time on the high tide and give it a go.

Yes i use the same method with no weight. but i find bait staying on is a problem (bread prawns etc)

the best bait i found for me use was discovered by accident it is salami. the long ones you have to cut yourself, cut a 5cm piece and put it in your pocket, and just bite a bit off and put it on. It stays on for ages, it is oily so they can find it and you can leave it in your bait bucket in your car boot for a few days and you wont have to sell the thing to a wreckers. i love it. or maybe its cos its the laziest option??

works for me when i take the wife down the lake for a muck around fish.

my secret is out . :1prop::1prop::1prop:

another good way is to burley up with breadcrumbs - tuna oil -sand and water mix, use a peeled prawn coated in the burley mix and hang on .

ok i tell no more secrets :1prop:

craig

I second the fresh white bread, and you'll get other by catches also, drummer, trevally, pinkies, luderick etc..,

I was a sceptic till I saw the results.

Just the other week I landed about 8 brim in an hour with a few pigs and some happy moments.

All on bread.................

Cost me $1.09 to fish for an hour and a half..

.....salami. the long ones you have to cut yourself, cut a 5cm piece and put it in your pocket, and just bite a bit off and put it on.......

Geez! Bugger the bream, I'd be eating the salami!!! YUM!!

Off the beach, fresh beach worms or pippis do it for me & in the estuary, bread or nippers, fresh mullet with the skin on - try putting them under a float, too! Weight it like a blackfish float so only a little bit is showing above the water (better still, use your blackfish float) and run it alongside an oyster lease with the tide ......... and hang on!! Monsters lurk in there!!

Cheerio

Roberta

i use chicken breast with pamasan cheese n or meat strips with breadcrumbs ive also used fresh prawns they go well as well

edit:

As for best time i find just before or while its raining ive had the best luck on bream

Edited by DGF

My Favourite day time Bream bait is Salted Tuna ie Frigates,Makerel,Bonito,Mack Tuna and Striped Tuna. You catch or buy the tuna cut of the fillets and rub salt into them then refridgerate or freeze till use.

And at night i find crabs work well and keep away the Eels especially in the Upper Reaches of the Geogres River

Reading the reply's to this post is like reading the menu at the local restaurant. All the baits suggested take bream as bream eat most offerings. I find that if I put a little cooton wool dipped in tuna oil on a weightless line & fish at dusk on 3/4 rising tide close to rocks or moored boats(not boats that are constantly used, but the ones with huge growth on their hulls) is the one that works best for me.

Regards Jeff