An End To The Holidays

Hodgey

GDay all,

The last couple of days have been quite eventful. Christie caught her PB flattie of 70cm and then flew home to Brisbane. On Thursday Budgie and I headed out with nephew Mark to try to redeem the loss of Budgie's fish and see if he could better his PB of 77cm. Budgie spent his days on the water using my new 1-3kg Lox rod. Thursday was a scorcher with fluctuating light winds. Not ideal conditions for chasing flatties in the shallows but a damn sight better than the strong winds we have had here for most of Budgie's holiday.

Mark was using Lime Tiger 4" Minnows, Budgie 5" Jerkshads in Curried Chicken and I was using 5" Jerkshads in Orange Tiger. We had a fantastic day, with 22 fish succumbing to the plastics. Budgie came tantalisingly close to his PB but just fell short :mad3:

post-3198-1264305899_thumb.jpg

76cm

post-3198-1264305927_thumb.jpg

Off she swims

And then another one ... short again!

post-3198-1264305957_thumb.jpg

74cm

Friday and Sat were 'family' days, and with the today being the last day of Budgie's holiday, we hit the water with Dene. Overcast conditions were ideal but negligible wind making it difficult to drift. The first hour passed by without a scale gracing the boat ... where had they gone? A quick trip to the front of the lake and a couple of good table fish land in the esky. A shortwhile later (and the first of several drizzling rain 'patches' during the day), and I am playing a good fish in the shallows!

post-3198-1264306328_thumb.jpg

80cms

post-3198-1264306359_thumb.jpg

Swimming away

That's when the day got interesting! Tailor were marauding baitfish, and busting up all over the surface so popper were tied on and thrown amidst the mayhem. It was bloody entertaining, with near misses, bustoffs and several very good quality fish making their way to the esky. Five poppers went missing during the melee :biggrin2:

We decided to head back to our original location (close to where Budgie had lost his big fish 3 days prior) to see if we could find a couple more table fish. With half an hour left, and more drizzling rain, Budgie's line starts tearing off. He is fairly nervous now, as this fish is performing similarly to the big one he had lost. Dene and I have moved behind him and are nervously watching the proceedings. After some long scorching runs and several instances of burying itself in the weeds, Deno slides the net under a terrific fish. It is incredibly fat, but would it beat 77cm?

post-3198-1264306958_thumb.jpg

Yep ... 80cm! A new PB, and a very well-conditioned fish, especially compared to the 80cm model caught earlier in the day :1yikes:

post-3198-1264307129_thumb.jpg

Off to freedom

What a great way to finish two terrific days on the water. Our thanks to Mark and Dene for taking us out in their boats and providing a lot of laughs and good times. :thumbup: I really enjoy catching big fish on the light gear, but assisting Christie and Budgie in achieving PBs has been the icing on my holidays. I will return to work on Wednesday a very happy Raider. ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

Great work Hodgey!

I think i may have seen you working the flats and got busted off by something near the boat ramp i was wading with a 5" Jerk Shad

Harry

Bugger! :( I'm looking forward to your report when you get home, Harry. Enjoy the rest of your stay. If you're still around on Tues make sure you give me a shout and say "GDay"

Cheers

Ian

Bugger! :( I'm looking forward to your report when you get home, Harry. Enjoy the rest of your stay. If you're still around on Tues make sure you give me a shout and say "GDay"

Cheers

Ian

I wasnt quite sure if it was you or not so didnt come over and say G'day :1prop:

You guys certainly know how to fish that area i saw you hookup around 5 times and i hadnt hooked up once.

I did manage a few goodies and will put a report up when i get the pictures ready.

Really angry that i didnt have my camera when i landed my 86cm fish:( :mad3:

Harry

I wish it were me out there with you. The only thing that I am netting at the moment is leaves from the pool.

Squizy

:biggrin2: You and the girls are well over-due for a visit mate. Chat soon!

Skip

Thank you for your feedback everyone. There is a lot of floating weed on the lake at the moment which makes surface luring difficult, but there is some good bream falling to plastics and hardbodies in the leases. When the crowd heads home we are hoping to have a few bream sessions ;) It's been a memorable start to 2010 and I hope Raiders have a crackin' year full of PB's, wide smiles and screamin' reels :yahoo:

Cheers

Hodgey

If i was a flatty i would shaking.

well done.

MR RB.

:biggrin2: You and the girls are well over-due for a visit mate. Chat soon!

Skip

Thank you for your feedback everyone. There is a lot of floating weed on the lake at the moment which makes surface luring difficult, but there is some good bream falling to plastics and hardbodies in the leases. When the crowd heads home we are hoping to have a few bream sessions ;) It's been a memorable start to 2010 and I hope Raiders have a crackin' year full of PB's, wide smiles and screamin' reels :yahoo:

Cheers

Hodgey

Hodgy you are the man! Another productive session or two................

Hopefully I will be heading down this saturday for 3 or 4 days can't wait. Glad you are putting the big girls back for me to catch and release as well (I hope lol).

I have been extremely busy at work, havent used the gear for weeks, so am looking forwards to some good weather and fishing (hopefully).

Take care mate, hopefully get to say G'Day!

Regards,

Rob

WOW!! :1yikes: Another memorable session or 2!! Congratulations on Budgies new PB, too! :thumbup::yahoo: You really have got those flatties pegged!!!!

You are right about the weed - with the pro prawners out virtually every night, you see the evidence by the massive amounts of weed floating around all day!! A real pain with HBs and it also even affects the SPs a bit too!!

Like you, I am looking forward to the tourists heading home ....... should be today, I reckon! :biggrin2: The town has been absolutely CHOCKERS!!

Once again, well done Ian

Roberta