Kissing Point Wharf

tuffy

Raiders, over the Xmas period my family and I would often go for a wander down the end of the street to Kissing Point wharf - just to see what was happening. One evening recently I was down there and it was a cast of thousands - the small squid where being caught with nets at the nd of the wharf and there were reports of a couple of big jewies caught in the early hours. Now, this in itself is not a problem, but one of the fellows I was talking to ( whom I know) is a fisheries inspector who lives locally. He was telling me that he had warned these other blokes not to take too many and also to CLEAN UP when they had finished fishing, and had been warning them for 3 weeks. His warnings were not heeded so accordingly he has requested the Council and the Police to have a NO FISHING sign erected with penalties amounting to $200 per fish. Now, this is not sour grapes on his part but these guys are leaving crap everywhere and the neighbours are complaining about the doof-doof music and the swearing etc, with no respect for the locals. They are also using the wharf handrails for cutting boards, so when the commuters arrive in the mornings they are greeted with all sorts of rubbish. This, as well as abusing the ferry drivers who are just doing their jobs.I have seen it and it ain't good. So, bottom line is, in the near future this idyllic location will be off limits to everyone - ALL BECAUSE OF SMALL GROUP OF IDIOTS ABUSING THE SYSTEM and stuffing it up for all.

So, this is just a reminder to all you responsible people to ensure you take your rubbish with you when you leave so this issue is not repeated throughout the entire harbour. As it stands now, pretty much everywhere within the Ryde Council area,including the riverside reserves, will shortly be subject to these closures. We have enough of a battle with the greenies and the proposed Marine Park issues at the moment and we can't afford to have our rec fishing locations disappearing before our eyes.

Think and act responsibly, that's all.

Regards to all,

Russ.

Edited by Tuffy

Sadly its a very familiar story for majority of wharves on the Parra and Lane Cove Rivers- junk and left over fish scales, bait containers and bags, line all over the wharf and the worst part is seeing the discarded hooks lying in full view of both commuters and children.

I now dont fish wharves like Kissing point (I used to live in Ermington and it was my local for a long time) because of the stigma associated with late night sessions on the wharf- so I only fish the beaches and around my local area Gladesville.

its sad but if people like that get booted from one wharf they do exactly the same thing at another wharf- inevitably if this continues most wharves on the Parra and LC Rivers wil be off-limits to LB fisho's- even considerate fisho's like myself and my mates who clean up our own and often everyone else's mess when we leave!)

have had the p[olice turn up late night and grill me about illegal wharf fishing (and this has heppened even at KP and other areas) and when i have showed them the piles of garbage in the garbage bags I collect each outing the promptly left me alone to continue fishing.

Advice- clean up after yourselves and then we can all enjoy the LB option in Sydney, and if you see rubbish pick it up (I know its not yours or my own rubbish) but I really dont want to see another peition from local Council to ban fishing from Parra River just as the failed attempt by Lane Cove Coucil to ban night fishing a few months ago.

If you still dont like it then maybe find another spot like I have then I have no reason to complain nor clean up after anyone else for tyhat matter- just me and my own rubbish which only consists of bags as I keep all my bait in containers and they are re-used.

There are plenty of action items we can all do to make our sport more repuatable and respected in the wider community if we all chip in our bit and show we have the communities interests and our own in check!

Edited by wannabefisho

Hi Russ,

i was down there a week ago and spoke to your mate" the local guy" your taking about. We spoke for a while and just about the noise and rubbish that these bloke where making and leaving behind. I took the kids down there to catch a few squid for bait, but where told to not fish here and go over the other side by these blokes, soo i left instead of making trouble, thats when i meet your friend and spoke to him for awhile.

Its people like these that reck everything for descent people and will conitue to get places closed down from fishing.

Cheers LALA

As an exclusive land based fisho (Don't have the money for a boat, and don't have any friends with one) stuff like this really p****s me off! :mad3:

It's disgusting to see this happen, I cannot count how many times I've gone to an LB spot to be greeted with a certain small group of individuals screaming yelling and threatening, playing their doof doof etc thinking they have a right to do it, cutting your lines after they catch onto yours after casting OVER your line etc

Then you have those people who are nice, do the right thing carry out all their rubbish and clean up after themselves, have no problems helping everyone else etc and we cop it because of the bad apples

I've complained about it before only to have them threaten me and those I'm fishing with, I have no problem with threats to me I can handle myself, but when you are fishing with friends and their families its just not on, they think they own the wharves and the laws do not apply to them, yet when the police turn up from complaints they start playing the racism card saying your only picking on me for being *insert whatever race they are include white guys here* and that the cops can get stuffed etc

For people who are still learning etc it puts you off wanting to fish where there are other people there just in case which is really sad since you can generally learn a whole lot from the local fishos. If i go out with my friends fishing now if we find a place that has people they will move on and generally refuse to fish there until we find a spot with nobody around

We've pretty much turned to fishing the hawkesbury (Mooney Mooney/Brooklyn) during the night/early morning just to avoid the groups you find along the harbour etc which is a pain having to travel twice as far just to get some peace and quiet fishing while catching nothing but damn catfish every 2nd trip!

As usual a small group of people ruin it for everyone else :thumbdown:

I was down there a couple of weeks ago and was told by a group of guys i could not fish there. when i ask why i was told in not so nice terms they would break my rods and throw my tackle box in the river if i tried to fish there. so i went to Gladesville Wharf and caught 3 whiting

Cameeron

Good on you to all of you who have the humility to clean other people's mess - without the likes of you we probably would have lost all of our LB spots already.

I've been doing my bit to clean up my local wharf at Balmoral for the last year now but feel I'm fighting a losing battle. Even after cleaning up all of the line, hooks, rubbish etc there's still all of the bits of bait, fish scales, blood etc everywhere - it's disgusting and frankly a health hazard. It's just embarrasing to be there when kids and parents come to take a look.

I went to Clifton Gardens last weekend for the first time in over a year - I stopped going there because it was not a nice experience to fish there. I got there before dawn so couldn't see the mess that was around me. Early in the morning a mother brought a little girl down to see what was happening and just as I turned to say hello I saw that the girl (barefoot) was about to step on a hook. I managed to stop her in time but felt so embarrased and it wasn't even my hook.

Well I'm done with it now. I'm buying a kayak and will be doing as much fishing as I can from the water from now on.

Paul

I was down there a couple of weeks ago and was told by a group of guys i could not fish there. when i ask why i was told in not so nice terms they would break my rods and throw my tackle box in the river if i tried to fish there. so i went to Gladesville Wharf and caught 3 whiting

Cameeron

Hmmmmmm it twas a good spot,,,, now,,,,, :mad3:

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

My 2 cents worth and Ive psoted on this in the past as an issue at Clifton Gardens pre the rebuild. Im a LB only fisho with little kids who sometimes fish with me and sometimes just wander around.

- i've lost ccount of the number of arguments ive had with groups of young males (of all "persuasions" this isnt about ethnicities) about respect for the common environment. Often times not even me pickign up a plastic bag and cleaning up around them shames them into better behaviour. I really dont know what the answer is cos there seems to be a generational lack of respect. And yes this is a generalisation in one sense and to all the younger generation who do the right thing i apologise, but not once has there been in my experience an issue with older fisho's in the same way. Maybe its life experience, maybe its having yr own kids im not sure.

- As others have pointed out there are two issues - the cleanliness issue in general and the risk of small feet getting caught in discarded hooksetc .

- specifically i fish clifton gardens and i also take my family there. Its been such a tip in the past ( i havent been back post the reopen) that id actually sign a petition to ban fishing for the general good given fishos represent less than 10% of the usage of the space. And that would be the classic 1% minority ruining it for everyone. What a shame. Oh and Ive given up fishing there now anyway cos I cant fish and make sure my kidz arent hooking themsleves on discards or smearing all the used bait/blood all over themselves. Its such a shame.

- banning fishing in such areas (which producre fish and are so naturally beautiful) seems so counterproductive to something we love and something which is great for our kidz to learn but like others i fear it may be the way of the future. Could Council Rangers not be given some form of power to at least monitor behaviour/cleanliness of a fishermans space at these common use areas like the wharves in question. A couple of fines issued and warnings etc would soon improve the general demeanour of the minority ?

- sorry for the long post but this subject raises my blood pressure ....

Yrs in frustration

Raiders, over the Xmas period my family and I would often go for a wander down the end of the street to Kissing Point wharf - just to see what was happening. One evening recently I was down there and it was a cast of thousands - the small squid where being caught with nets at the nd of the wharf and there were reports of a couple of big jewies caught in the early hours. Now, this in itself is not a problem, but one of the fellows I was talking to ( whom I know) is a fisheries inspector who lives locally. He was telling me that he had warned these other blokes not to take too many and also to CLEAN UP when they had finished fishing, and had been warning them for 3 weeks. His warnings were not heeded so accordingly he has requested the Council and the Police to have a NO FISHING sign erected with penalties amounting to $200 per fish. Now, this is not sour grapes on his part but these guys are leaving crap everywhere and the neighbours are complaining about the doof-doof music and the swearing etc, with no respect for the locals. They are also using the wharf handrails for cutting boards, so when the commuters arrive in the mornings they are greeted with all sorts of rubbish. This, as well as abusing the ferry drivers who are just doing their jobs.I have seen it and it ain't good. So, bottom line is, in the near future this idyllic location will be off limits to everyone - ALL BECAUSE OF SMALL GROUP OF IDIOTS ABUSING THE SYSTEM and stuffing it up for all.

So, this is just a reminder to all you responsible people to ensure you take your rubbish with you when you leave so this issue is not repeated throughout the entire harbour. As it stands now, pretty much everywhere within the Ryde Council area,including the riverside reserves, will shortly be subject to these closures. We have enough of a battle with the greenies and the proposed Marine Park issues at the moment and we can't afford to have our rec fishing locations disappearing before our eyes.

Think and act responsibly, that's all.

Regards to all,

Russ.

I agree with the argument but i dont agree on closure to fishing. Putting up a no fishing sign is just a quick fix for the council, the council should do more then just put signs up. Why don't they send inspectors out and actually fine these people? word of mouth travells very fast. And if anyone gets caught doing things like this then they deserve a hefty fine.

We as human beings have the right to hunt for our food, its a natural process which we tend to forget.

Cheers

Snooze.

I was fishing Clifton Gardens few years ago, and remember how catastrophical it was.

There could be a solution, I dont know how legal it is ....

To take pictures of the people making such a mess (with a 200x super tele objective)

Wouldnt go anywhere close, to afraid of getting a hook or something bigger between my ribs.

And then post it ... maybe on a fabebook group "we like out fishingspots clean"

I absolutely hate these kinds of people. Ive experienced this before and my solution was to fight fire with fire. They tend to talk alot of crap but when it comes to it, i never seen any of them that has actually went all the way. Cutting your line when they are the ones that casted on top of yours is a load of crap, i find that is one of the worst things someone can do when you're fishing.

The more i think about it the more it frustrates me. I disagree with the banning fishing, but i agree with having inspectors there often just to keep on the look out.

I was fishing Clifton Gardens few years ago, and remember how catastrophical it was.

There could be a solution, I dont know how legal it is ....

To take pictures of the people making such a mess (with a 200x super tele objective)

Wouldnt go anywhere close, to afraid of getting a hook or something bigger between my ribs.

And then post it ... maybe on a fabebook group "we like out fishingspots clean"

Not a bad idea actually

Re: the legal issue, As far as I'm aware it is perfectly legal to take a photo or video of someone committing a crime and to then forward it to the police/fisheries, Many times I have known people to do this very thing and the threat of the video being made public or even worse sent to the media usually gets them to act quick smart on an issue

If people can film it or record them abusing you with your camera phone etc i suggest to do it, forward it to the authorities and if nothing is done about it then start a face book group and post up the videos and photos there (to avoid a lawsuit for defamation I'd suggest blurring out the faces of the individuals just to be safe however) because we have all seen that if you have an online group like this with footage etc the news people love a story like that

Might be some good press actually to get across not all fisherman are bad, the solution isnt on blanket banning but enforcing the rules and laws we already have

The behaviour of some fishermen is disgusting. Last week i was about 100m away from the infamous 'tubes' down at JB and was in the middle of making a u-turn (to drive away). No angler was hooked up, nor was i near any baits yet I was verbally abused by hoons on the ledge... Low-lifes....

Back to the topic, perhaps the police should be informed of this behaviour as fisheries don't have much jurisdiction outside checking fish and fishing licences. The police are called to control roudy parties and book people acting in ways that are offensive to the public. Perhaps reporting these people on numerous occasions and slapping them with a fine without warnings should sort them out.

Such people are bad for the recreational fisher image as well as leaving a bitter aftertaste to your fishing expedition.

there seems to be no quick fix to this problem

wharf road is my local and the recent up grade to the ramp is great and the cleaning table[stainless steel] was a wellcome addition

but there is always crap left all over the place i've spent 30mins. cleaning it before i can clean my catch thereand have had several heated talks to people that leave the mess

they just do'nt get it and seem to have the some one else can do it mentality

it seems to be the way australia is heading but raiders i'll keep cleaning up uthers crap and do my bit and wo'nt waste my breath trying to educate the thick heads anymore

a sign that states clean it or loose it may work but i think not

cheers gary

Dirty wharves ? Old news. However, the proposed closure is a real shame but it was just a matter of time.

If I lived around these wharves, I would feel the same exactly the same as the residents - get fishing banned because of the noise/mess left behind. Better start saving for a boat.

Once I was there and there was a group of young school kids there .. I would like to think that they took their 5 pizza boxes and metres of cut fishing line with them when they left ...

As usual, I can see the real fishos putting up their hands on the forum saying they are disgusted and try to help clean up but at the end of the day, that is not our job. Every fisho young or old, experienced or not needs to do their part.

They've tried closing Balmoral (a year ago ? I don't fish there anymore ..) and Clifton Gardens will be next.

Fisheries need to trawl fisho forums and 'hang out' at these locations so they can firstly educate and then fine all these f()ckers. Where are they ? Never seen one. Heard countless stories of leaving messages on the fisheries hotline. What rubbish.

Where are the inspectors, you ask? Well, we have our own fisheries inspector at Putney, however, when these incidents occur it is usually later in the evening, so 1 fishing inspector vs 20 idiots - you do the sums - it is not worth his personal safety - I have also asked him about fishing license checks, but the same safety issue applies. Sad, but true.

Tuffy.

Edited by Tuffy

The 'authority' behaviour of imposing blanket bans to prevent some people breaking current laws is logically and morally wrong. It is lazy administration. It harks back to the "southern justice" of "shoot them all and let God sort them out".

These litter incidents are already an offence under the Protection of the Environment Act, somewhere around sect 200 I think. If there's a problem then enforce the existing and adequate regulation.

I think it requires the about same enforcement effort to enforce a "no fishing" ban as it takes to enforce the no littering law.

I suspect the appeal of imposing bans is that it permits politicians to appear to have taken action- with a press release. They then move on to the next issue, without allocating NEW funding to manage the situation they have banned. A example of this was Manly Council's Mayor getting nationwide publicity by banning smoking at Manly Beach. Years later and no one has actually been fined. The Rangers are too busy doing parking infringements to meet the Budget requirement for parking infringement revenue. Easy money and very little chance of conflict with the offender- beats standing in uniform shoes on a beach trying to get identification papers of a bloke in budgie smugglers!

All we need is to use the existing laws. All we want is for our pollies to properly support our law enforcement officers. The trouble is the pollies could be replaced with competant administrators instead of show ponies.

I would like to see a sign saying X bad people fined for litter at this wharf this year, not a sign saying no people at all allowed.

Enough of that, I'm off to Wybung to spin up a bonnie or two!

Tight lines Raiders

Gar

Fisheries need to trawl fisho forums and 'hang out' at these locations so they can firstly educate and then fine all these f()ckers. Where are they ? Never seen one. Heard countless stories of leaving messages on the fisheries hotline. What rubbish.

Well, we have our own fisheries inspector at Putney, however, when these incidents occur it is usually later in the evening, so 1 fishing inspector vs 20 idiots - you do the sums - it is not worth his personal safety - I have also asked him about fishing license checks, but the same safety issue applies. Sad, but true.

Tuffy.

Yeah, fisheries have it tough especially when dealing with "thug fishos" ahhaha what a term.

The inspectors need to have the police on speed dial if they think they are going to deal with not just people breaking fisheries laws but also potentially abusive ones.

Unfortunately for me, I don't see my fishing license fee being used properly on inspectors that 'can't do anything' because they are scared or do not have the necessary backup.

I experienced the same today at a Lane Cove park and it made me very upset. Terrific place to fish but it wont be long before it is closed to fishing. My friend thought paying a fee was a good idea as he felt it would keep

the trouble out. I agree. I would volunteer my services to collect the money.

I have considered going to council to see if I could be a volunteer inspector with the right to take photos

and record number plates for their records and hand out advice notices warning them of breaking the law.

Just my thoughts.

Hmmmm fisheries have a hard enough time policing the illegal activitys on the water, then throw in the local councils/rangers, police and other authorities its not suprising, and I dont blame any one. The only people to blame is the few amongst the majority who are stuffing it up for the rest of us.

And above all, think about the fact that there are less than 150 "qualified" inspectors from fisheries to patrol all of the eastern coast of Australia when I checked and did research last October,,,,, throw into this mix that over half of there officers from fisheries are not boat based, less than 1/3 of them work shift work, ie (9-5pm), and they do rotating rosters. Its not politics, or anything else, more than 1/2 the population of Australia fish recreationally (more than 6times a year), abit over 40% of Australias population wet a line at least every 5 weeks, and apprx 3% of the rest of Australians fish at least every 10-14days.

There needs to be more inspectors, until then,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dan

my 2cents worth.....

wats the issue here?? littering or illegal fishing??? sound like littering and noise polution..... therefor more fishing inspectors is not neccessary.

dont you recieve a fine for litter???? so wats gladville police doing about the litting issue??

cant do much about noice polution...... not being on their side (dumb laws play a role, and not excactly sure about this) but cant really complain about noise because isn't there a law that says music in house parties must be turned off by 12:00 midnight..... so unfortunatly does this law apply to the idiots?

why dont you attend the local meetings and bring this issue up?? definately should not ban people from fishing the jetties, unfair for the majority, just more law inforcements (police i thought thats their jobs) patroling the comlpaining areas. and tell me will a group of people dare to attack a police officer?? so there is no threat there then.

Edited by fishinnick

Actually noise pollution falls under the local council policy/legislation, and isnt limited in that way because it varies by local council area on what times it is acceptable to do things that create a lot of noise, so technically they are breaking the law and can be fined if they are making noise affecting residents at all hours of the night

http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/WEB/SITE/RESOUR...ment_policy.pdf

They could also be fined or arrested by the police themselves for numerous offenses under the Crime Act such as

199 Threatening to destroy or damage property

249L Unwarranted demands—meaning

249M Menaces—meaning

and probably a few others but you get the point, there is a lot that should be enforced here but isn't

And you'd be surprised how often a group of people especially the younger generation will attack a police officer, I've personally seen police officers king hit out of nowhere by groups of youths etc, if they think they can escape through the use of violence the youth today consider the option, especially if they are under 18 because they know how lightly they get off

Edited by Gremlin

I was down at Thames St wharf at Balmain last night. There were 3 guys, best described as "yobbos", fishing there. They were drinking and throwing their empties into the water, and after they left, I found around a dozen slices of unused bait stuck to the handrail. Absolute grubs and one was old enough to know better.

I think the councils need to put up surveillance cameras. I think cameras might act as a deterrent, particularly if littering fines were imposed.

As far as the threatening behaviour, maybe fishraiders should unite and "go fishing" at the spot every now and then. These people don't like numbers.

I'm not suggesting vigilante stuff, but just show up in numbers so they get the hint, and we could do a cleanup in the process.

Two Blues.