Sharked In The Harbour

Krispy !

Hey Raiders,

This morning got up at about 6 am and was itching for a Kingie. I was dropped off at my favourite harbour wharf and was armed with fresh prawns, pillies and some live squid i caught the night before. The morning was fishing good and in no time i had caught a small rat(53cms,released), a couple of nice sized bream,a 41cm trevally and a red morwong.

Anyway as the day progressed the fishing slowed and i caught a few more bream. It was around 11am when i was rebaiting my light-gear rod when i heard the unmistakable sound of a reel going crazy. I was on and with 50lb braid and 30lb leader i felt in control. After about 5 minutes of wrestling i could see the line heading for the surface, then out of nowhere a kingie, Easily 90cms jumps out of the water :1yikes:, Ive never seen this before but i found out why when the king came closer to the wharf. He had a bronze whaler, easily 3 metres trying to take him. I free-spooled the rod for about a minute then tightened up and i felt a really heavy weight. :05::ranting2: The shark's obviously taken him, After yanking the rod the shark let go and i reeled in what was left of a good kingie, I got 63cm back and he would've been about mid 90's judging by the size of its frame. I was spewing after that and barely went back to fishing properly. To make the situation worse, this un-co came and told me that i could'nt keep what was left of the kingie because it was undersize. I told him that it was well over legal before being bitten nearly in half but he wouldn't have any of it and told me he was going to report me to fisheries. I didn't really care but i just want a raider to veriify this for me, would that kingie be counted as undersize?

seriola lalandi,

Edited by seriola lalandi

Mate If that was me i would be cut deep. But i guess things like this happens quite often. I had something similar happen to me but instead of a shark it was a seal, But on the otherhand nice bag of goodies. Im not too sure either in regards to the under size issue. Im quite new into fishing as well.

Well it sounds like u had an eventfull day anyway :1prop::1prop:

As far as the legal size of the kingfish, it was bitten by a shark so 1 it would not have survived and 2 it would have been legal to keep if that didnt happen . soi reakon he was a jerk- oh sorry i mean he was wrong

some people should just mind there own buisiness i reakon .

craig

Wow! What an experience!

I remember fishing Lord Howe Island years ago and had hooked a rat off Balls Pyramid, on my 10kg outfit. The skipper called out from the tower, "Quick! Pull him in! There's a shark after him!". So, I started winding in as fast as I could. Then the skipper called out, "No, wait! It's a bloody big kingie! Leave it!". So I freespooled and watched this huge kingie take the smaller one. I gave him plenty of time to take it down then set the hook. Man, that was a fight! The hoodlum reefed me after about 20 minutes and my back still hurts thinking about it!

Ya gotta love those kingies!

Baz

It was a really good day except for that guy who pissed me off at the end. Ah well, i'm thinking of having whats left of the king as sashimi. Would it still be alright to eat.

unlucky on the sharking - I pulled this in off the sticks last year

kingyhead.jpg

didn't see the culprit clearly, just a brown smudge down deep!

HEY CHAMP VERY INTERESTING STORY.... SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE KINGIE BLOODY SHARK .......MATE SHOULD HAVE INTRODUCED THE BOOF HEAD THAT BOTHERED YOU TO THE SHARK !!! :074::074:

Very eventful day for you and would have definitiely been exciting.

With regards to the undersize issue, why is this supposed boof head doing anything wrong? If he genuinely thinks you are doing the wrong thing by keeping undersized fish, he has every right to question you. If you reversed the roles and you found someone you genuinely believed to be keeping undersized fish, then you would definitely go and politely inform them they are breaking the law.

Seeing that no one has replied to confirm one way or another, how to interpret the undersize ruling of a half eaten kingie. No one can be 100% sure.

The replies Ive seen to this thread are very surprising. Like tell the boof head to get a life or mind your own business.

Cmon guys, its all our business to ensure no undersized fish are kept. Whether it was undersized or not is a completely different matter.

I have been in similar situations down in Jervis Bay where a niusance seal kept stealing our kingies. A great sight to see and experience all the same. We lost about half a dozen kingies that day....

From a Fisheries point of view, you can see this opening up so many arguments and false claims that they would have no choice but to consider this kingfish undersized and fine you anyway. How many dodgey fisho's would land a 63cm kingfish and then cut the tail off and claim a shark took it?????

Jeff

Very eventful day for you and would have definitiely been exciting.

With regards to the undersize issue, why is this supposed boof head doing anything wrong? If he genuinely thinks you are doing the wrong thing by keeping undersized fish, he has every right to question you. If you reversed the roles and you found someone you genuinely believed to be keeping undersized fish, then you would definitely go and politely inform them they are breaking the law.

Seeing that no one has replied to confirm one way or another, how to interpret the undersize ruling of a half eaten kingie. No one can be 100% sure.

The replies Ive seen to this thread are very surprising. Like tell the boof head to get a life or mind your own business.

Cmon guys, its all our business to ensure no undersized fish are kept. Whether it was undersized or not is a completely different matter.

I have been in similar situations down in Jervis Bay where a niusance seal kept stealing our kingies. A great sight to see and experience all the same. We lost about half a dozen kingies that day....

From a Fisheries point of view, you can see this opening up so many arguments and false claims that they would have no choice but to consider this kingfish undersized and fine you anyway. How many dodgey fisho's would land a 63cm kingfish and then cut the tail off and claim a shark took it?????

Jeff

i disagree and believe that it would be laughed out of court if they booked you and i for one would take it to court . you could even tell the court that u mesured the fish with the sticker that they provided to u ... u know the ones that are inaccurate :1prop::1prop: no one would be 100% sure which is why it would not stand up in court .they woiuld not be able to proove beyond reasnable doubt that the fish was undersize .

head size would surely give u a accurate guesstamate of the fish size

lets say the fish was 20kg,s and was bitten in half and u pulled in the head and torso measuring 60cm would they book u then ???

good samaritan or boof head ???? leaning towards boof head

craig

There have been some bloody BIGGGG sharks in the last harbour the last 3 months chasing all the bait, which in turn the kingys and other odds and ends chase.

Just 2 weeks agao "hook'm" aka jason got creamed big time, this noah towed him 200-300metres off his mark with the anchor down as well :1yikes: . When he did see it 15ft under the boat chasing a kingy up he was onto after busting off the first occasion, we have never seen a guy 6ft3 move backward so quick. Estimates put it at 3-3.5 metres of bullshark.

Another raider got stuck into a few small 1-1.5metre makos the other week who I spoke to. And in late december a guy at north head hooked up to a juvenile great white, approx 2-2.5 metres, released it when he id what it was.

And mid-dec last year in middle harbour Greg caught a 2.5-3m bull shark just west of the spit that was knocking off his kingys, and other raiders kingys in mid water.

DONT GO SWIMMING PEOPLE, Unless its in a freshwater pool :biggrin2:

Dan