Slimy Macks In Plague Proportions

MrGenius

As the title says, slimy mackeral are in absolute plague proportions down the south coast from Greenwell point into JB. We had trouble getting baits to the bottom without slimys knocking it off or getting hooked.

I even hooked a few on 5" jerk shads :1prop:

At one stage there was a heap of surface action that we assumed would be salmon or tailor but no just a heap of slimys hitting the smaller white bait etc.

They were mostly in the 30cm range and made great fresh slab baits + a heap for the freezer.

Got a few snapper at one of our GPS marks around the 48cm mark, plenty of reef species and a couple of little samsons.

Still cant seem to get a snapper on plastics tho, i know they are there cause we can get em on bait but just cant make it happen on a plastic. No probs getting red rock cod though :wacko:

Went on a charter on the weekend down greenwell point hoping to chase some marlin, went to the bait grounds and ended up with a tank full off slimeys in about 10mins. Unfortunately the seas were pretty unfriendly and we turned around after about 1hr of the charter... rescheduled for 2weeks time so hopefully they are still around. There are also tonnes of bonnies off greenwell point taking small skirts and feathers.

Went on a charter on the weekend down greenwell point hoping to chase some marlin, went to the bait grounds and ended up with a tank full off slimeys in about 10mins. Unfortunately the seas were pretty unfriendly and we turned around after about 1hr of the charter... rescheduled for 2weeks time so hopefully they are still around. There are also tonnes of bonnies off greenwell point taking small skirts and feathers.

we are going on a charter on the 28th out of jb hoping to get some sport fishing done .It sounds promising dwon there have you heard anything

As the title says, slimy mackeral are in absolute plague proportions down the south coast from Greenwell point into JB. We had trouble getting baits to the bottom without slimys knocking it off or getting hooked.

I even hooked a few on 5" jerk shads :1prop:

At one stage there was a heap of surface action that we assumed would be salmon or tailor but no just a heap of slimys hitting the smaller white bait etc.

They were mostly in the 30cm range and made great fresh slab baits + a heap for the freezer.

Got a few snapper at one of our GPS marks around the 48cm mark, plenty of reef species and a couple of little samsons.

Still cant seem to get a snapper on plastics tho, i know they are there cause we can get em on bait but just cant make it happen on a plastic. No probs getting red rock cod though :wacko:

I dont mind those red rock cod, the poor mans lobster

Hi folks,

Have the same thing here out of Batemans Bay. Slimies everywhere in close......

Went out wide the other day trolling skip baits for marlin, only to find two free jumping in 30 fathoms between the Toll Gates and South Durras, still couldn't hook one though! Hopefully tomorow will be the day.........

Dave

Hi there,

Why bother with plastics , I'd be happy getting some snapper on bait at the moment :074:

As for the Rock cod, i hate them... i have been spiked by them twice now :ranting2: .. very painful.

Dave

Hi there,

Why bother with plastics , I'd be happy getting some snapper on bait at the moment :074:

As for the Rock cod, i hate them... i have been spiked by them twice now :ranting2: .. very painful.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Im not complaining :074:

Although all the ones ive seen caught on plastics in the same area have been huge compared to our 45-50cm ones.

Cheers,

Nathan :1fishing1: