Fishing Sinkers

Charles78

Hi Raiders

I buy all my sinkers from a tackle store and i was just wondering whether it is cheaper to purchase them from a shop already made as i do or go to a scrap dealer and make my own sinkers up at home?

I only really use 3 and 4 ounce snapper (bomb) sinkers for LB snapper fishing and size 0 to 4 ball sinkers for drummer/bream rock fishing and general river fishing.

All comments and point of views on this subject are welcome

Jesus Loves You xox

The very small sinkers like split shots, size 0 and 1, it's best to buy those, but larger sizes is much more worth it if you make them yourself.

Snapper lead, most expensive ones out there... If you can get your hands on some lead and purchase a mold, you will find it's much cheaper, all you need is a bit of your free time... You can mass produce them for a fraction of the price you pay from tackle stores.

I agree with zephi,

If you are using larger sinkers home-made is certainly the go. I buy my smaller sinkers but make my own snapper leads used offshore. I also make my own downrigger bombs.

A powerful gas stove will provide sufficient heat to melt your lead chips in a cast iron pot. Make sure that you heat your cast iron moulds too otherwise the molten lead will instantly solidify and your outcome will be less than desired.

On a safety note, avoid breathing any fumes and wear safe attire as you will be dealing with temperatures in excess of 300 degrees at times.

ive always wondered how to even make the sinkers with the moulds ive seen the moulds everywhere but im clueless as they are 2 piece so hows that work ? wouldnt the lead leak as you attach each side together :/ maybe i should go on youtube :P

Hey mate do you use pre-bought casts for the DR bombs or make your own? If pre-bought where do you get them?

I made my own mould with concrete. Its easy to mould the shape you want with a pre-existing bomb from a mate, or using a pre-existing shape you have made.

Since the concrete is slightly porous i line the mould with aluminium foil when making the actual bomb and have not had a problem.

:thumbup: Thanks for the all Replys i think ill make my own snapper leads and buy my smaller ball sinkers from the advice you blokes have given me. ill look into how much a kilo of lead from the scrap dealer will cost me and go from there

Hi Raiders

I buy all my sinkers from a tackle store and i was just wondering whether it is cheaper to purchase them from a shop already made as i do or go to a scrap dealer and make my own sinkers up at home?

I only really use 3 and 4 ounce snapper (bomb) sinkers for LB snapper fishing and size 0 to 4 ball sinkers for drummer/bream rock fishing and general river fishing.

All comments and point of views on this subject are welcome

Jesus Loves You xox

if you can find some lead from old knocked down houses then it would be much cheaper to make your own, i haven't bought sinkers for over 2 years know. I to use the snapper sinkers and small ball sinkers but id love to get my hands on a a jig for jig heads as i do a lot more soft plastics then bait these days.

Note: it can be time consuming making the sinkers though.

I make heaps of Snappers in 1,2,3,4,6 & 8 ounce, Bombs, Balls and Beans of all different sizes and surf pyramids / stars. I've also used teaspoons with a punch mark for spoon leads and special hand made hardwood molds for small run jig inserts.

Essential items are:-

* a vice with wooden jaws, (either a carpenters vice or a metal vice with wood jaw guards),

* good leather gloves or welders gloves, (you'll still burn your fingers)

* bicycle wheel spokes or round skewers (to put through your ball and bean moulds)

* gas bottle and burner (I use a cast iron LPG ring burner available from camping stores)

* melting pot or crucible. The simplest cheapest way is to take a pineapple tin or beetroot tin and use pliers to form a spout for pouring, attach a strong handle with rivets or screws.

Heat the molds initially as you are melting the lead. Once you start pouring they stay hot. You can split the molds pretty quick and use snips to trim the still hot excess back into the tin, (saves energy). You cannot pour into cold molds, hence the wooden jawed vice.

Old house flashings are the mainstay but a good spot to obtain lead is from the local tyre yard. The used wheel balance weights are usually thrown into a big bucket and sold for scrap value. Make them an offer. The steel clips will just stay in the tin when the lead pours off and you can just tip them out every so often. Don't try to use old lead acid batteries. It's not worth the effort and makes heaps of mess.

Get set up and make heaps. It doesn't take long to churn them out once your going and have established a rhythm.

Good luck.

Hi Victor78,

Take notice of Noodles thread and it is quite easy making your own sinkers

I have a garage full from 1/4 snapper to 2lb.

I get my lead from a mate with a tyre place,all the old lead weights from tyres,what doesn't melt

just tip out with swarth. I picked up an old cast pot fromtip put a handle on use my bbq bottle with gas jet ,cheap as blah blah poop,also spring loaded hand clamps to hold molds to gether,also from blah blah poop,just make sure garage is well venterlated while making sinkers,first one you make ,be sure you have heated mold or it won't turn out.from then on Bob's your uncle.

All the best and you will enjoy the job,once you get into a rhythm.

cheers Rick.

JUST a thought.

You might be able to offer half the lead you have collected to some one who will make them for you if you dont have the space to do it your self.

Check out the charity shops and markets for the gear to make them.

Another fish raider might like to go halves with you next time he is making some.

I'd say if you had access to some old car batteries you should find a source of lead there... Just be sure to wash them out well before you start pulling them apart and wear rubber gloves while you're doing it.

Batteries are not made the same way as they used to be and there is little pure lead in them. It is very messy and time consuming to dismantle them and not worth the effort. You also end up with a large pile of plastic and other rubbish from the plate frames and broken down seperators. I've done it and strongly advise against it. Only if your desperate.

Another useful tip is to pour slowly but continuously, keeping a close watch on when each sinker fills. Overpour is dangerous.

A very important safety issue is to ensure that no water comes into contact with molten metal. It explodes violently and will cause injury.

Edited by Noodles

and make sure to wear a full face safety sheild as molten lead splashing on your face would not be too good.

I almost lost my face when i was 20 when me and a mate decided to make sinkers for the first time.

He chucked some off cuts into the pot, as in threw them in and they splashed, mised my face by less than 10cm!

A few strong words were exchanged but we got back into it and got the job done. Moral of the story is DON'T RUSH and STAY SAFE.

Once you get into a rythm its pretty good fun :)

Now i just do it all myself

I do a batch once a year and i do ok.

I have enough 3 and 4 ounce leads and size 6 ball isnkers to last me years. I did run our of 3 and 4 balls so next time i'm going to make literally hundreds of these so i don't run out.