Tufftackle Baitrunners

myocard

The price you pay for this reel is equal to the quality.

If you open the inside it will tell you why its that price.

After a couple of uses it will show wear.

Did/do you own one and had it pulled apart ?

Didn't perform to your expectations ?

Yes I own one. It was a gift for Xmas. Worked great for a month but then got sluggish. Opened one and found it

to have signs of rust. I try to be carefull with my gear and service/clean them after use.I dont wash or hose them

but use warm water/soap and a soft cloth. Light spray with a lanolin based oil

Compared to other reels which are much older and used more often I was disappointed.

All my reels are cleaned the same way and when not in use on boat have a reel cover on them.

I dont normally make adverse comments about fishing tackle but after using more expensive tackle I have learnt the reason why some tackle is

more expensive than others. An example of this is the quality of fishing rods at the big retail shops compared to tackle shops.

Yes I own one. It was a gift for Xmas. Worked great for a month but then got sluggish. Opened one and found it

to have signs of rust. I try to be carefull with my gear and service/clean them after use.I dont wash or hose them

but use warm water/soap and a soft cloth. Light spray with a lanolin based oil

Compared to other reels which are much older and used more often I was disappointed.

All my reels are cleaned the same way and when not in use on boat have a reel cover on them.

I dont normally make adverse comments about fishing tackle but after using more expensive tackle I have learnt the reason why some tackle is

more expensive than others. An example of this is the quality of fishing rods at the big retail shops compared to tackle shops.

Does hosing the reel wreck it? just wondering because i tend to soak it in a bucket of water after i come back from the rocks because it gets soaked in saltwater

Does hosing the reel wreck it? just wondering because i tend to soak it in a bucket of water after i come back from the rocks because it gets soaked in saltwater

Not good Steze... sorry to be the bearer of bad news but soaking a reel in a bucket won't remove salt from inside your reel, just flood everything with water. The water in your reel will cause corrosion, the lubricants will emulsify, and your drag will probably fail you when you need it.

Any reel that has been completely dunked in salt water needs to be stripped down, completely cleaned and re-lubed. If your reels are just being splashed with water, they can be cleaned when you get home by either rinsing them under gently running fresh water (do the drag up first in a spin reel and most... but not all... overheads), or by wiping them down with a damp cloth. The aim is to wash the salt and dirt off the outside while NOT getting water inside the reel or drag system.

The possible exception to all this is Alvey reels.

If you've been soaking spin reels for a while, I'm surprised you haven't noticed any performance issues. How smooth is your drag?

Cheers, Slinky

Not good Steze... sorry to be the bearer of bad news but soaking a reel in a bucket won't remove salt from inside your reel, just flood everything with water. The water in your reel will cause corrosion, the lubricants will emulsify, and your drag will probably fail you when you need it.

Any reel that has been completely dunked in salt water needs to be stripped down, completely cleaned and re-lubed. If your reels are just being splashed with water, they can be cleaned when you get home by either rinsing them under gently running fresh water (do the drag up first in a spin reel and most... but not all... overheads), or by wiping them down with a damp cloth. The aim is to wash the salt and dirt off the outside while NOT getting water inside the reel or drag system.

The possible exception to all this is Alvey reels.

If you've been soaking spin reels for a while, I'm surprised you haven't noticed any performance issues. How smooth is your drag?

Cheers, Slinky

Damn, I gota stop doing that then. Ive done it twice or 3 times so im hoping that its not F***ed . My drag at the moment feels fine. If i undo everything and wipe everything down and then re lube it, should be fix it up a bit better? Also my saragosa says that its got a waterproof drag, does that mean water won't get in?

Edited by steze

Don't panic, Steze.

This is a little :offtopic: so we could continue this thread in the maintenance forum if you like. If your reel is still working fine its not stuffed but you probably should do something about it so it stays that way.

Send me a PM if you want to open a thread in maintenance so we can let myocard have his Rovex thread back :D

Cheers, Slinky