He's Got The Jack

slinkymalinky

Unless you've been living under a rock (or you're a new member) you'll probably have noticed my quest for a southeast corner Jack this summer. I've flogged the Tweed to foam for a score of Jacks 6, Slinky 0. I've pulled hooks, been smoked, broken off, etc, etc.

Well, the monkey finally got off my back. Went out yesterday arvo with Jewhunter with the intention of a night Jewie session in the Gold Coast Seaway but conditions outside meant that getting bait was impossible.

Plan B was to try fishing the rock walls near the Seaway with plastics. The water was filthy coffee coloured and there was barely any current run with the small tide so confidence was low. But we got to a stretch where prawns, whitebait and the odd mullet were flicking around in the mud coloured water. "Oh Well", we thought, "this looks as likely as anwywhere".

In one 100m stretch of rock wall we started pulling a couple of flathead and bream and getting regular taps. It was a beautiful relaxing way to fish and I was zoning out when the 3" Atomic Prong got a tap... tap... draaaaaaw... hit. Lifting the rod and what felt like a solid fish darted around confused before realising it was hooked and lighting the afterburners.

A bit of work with the leccy to get away from the wall and some great work with a bucket by JH (I left the landing net at home coz we were supposed to be Jew fishing)and....

post-6175-126612916042_thumb.jpg

It's been a long time and a lot of work but finally I had my Jack. There were high fives and beers before we managed to get enough adrenalin out of the system to get back to fishing.

Just for the record it went 52cm and a touch over 2kg (I think that's a couple of cm bigger than your best, isn't it Brown Dog??? :biggrin2: ). Caught it on a 3" Atomic Prong in Pearl Core on a 3/8oz jig head. Outfit is a 2500 Stradic with an upgraded drag (look for the rebuild soon in the Maintenance forum) on a Lox 2-5kg rod and 10lb braid.

post-6175-126612917086_thumb.jpg

post-6175-12661291836_thumb.jpg

Next cast I managed to also get my first Moses Perch on lure

post-6175-126612919696_thumb.jpg

All in all a really enjoyable session after thinking we were going to be wasting our time. And now we've got a dirty water option which opens up all sorts of possiblities.

Cheers, Slinky

If only the members' could have heard the excited tremor in your voice on the phone ... pure GOLD Congrats on a very special fish mate. Your confidence has received a well deserved kick-start in preparation for Monduran.

Check out the teeth on that Jack :1yikes: Great colors in it too. Top effort by Grant 'The Bucket' Jewhunter too :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

Well done on finally getting that anticipated Jack,

Did it put up a good fight on light gear?

Harry

G'day Harry,

After a lot of opportunities to experiment, I'm convinced that the most reliable way to land a good Jack on plastics up here is to fish lighter, not heavier.

Every light gear hookup has seen the Jack behave very confused for the vital first 10 seconds of each fight. The take of a Jack on a plastic is a lot like a tentative bream bite... nothing at all like the WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU MAM! hit you get on hard bodies. Then after hook-up they swim around confused for a short while before finally working out something's wrong and trying to get back home (and if you've been on the ball you should have the fish out from the snags by then)

Hooking them on heavier (20-30lb) gear, as soon as you hit them, they burn straight back for the ugliest bit of structure they can find. I haven't looked close to catching one on heavier gear... not to mention the number of hits and any by-catch drops off significantly.

Cheers, Slinky :biggrin2:

Who's the you da man, who's the man you da man!

Yay for slinky, finally cracked the elusive jack of spades..............

It is funny how it works, just going to be an average fishing session or so you thought and whooska.

Well done mate.

Can't wait to see the next one.

Regards,

Rob

Now THAT is a Jack!!!

Congratulations Tony on your long awaited Jack :yahoo::thumbup: - we've felt every bustoff & had fingers crossed every time you went out - and now you've done it - and on such light line, too!!! Brilliant!

So glad Grant was there to cheer you on!! Any video taken???

Well done, Champ!

Roberta

Well done Slinky! :yahoo:

I'm so happy you got that one. The Mojo is back baby & there are plenty of more crackers to come. :biggrin2:

It was great to be there with you. I never knew I was that good with a bucket! :074:

Thanks for a top trip out & a great bbq yesterday. The re-built Sol feels soooo much better.

Congrats again mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

:yahoo::yahoo: .onya tony,you got him.well done mate.cracking fish on 10lb mainline.im soooo happy for you slinky,you'v put in the hard yards & now you'v been rewarded.at over 50cms,thats a very respectable jack,well done. :thumbup: & i bet you wouldv been happy to swap the intended jew for that ripper jack.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

p.s. & full marks to jewhunter for doin a great job with the net.sorry,bucket i meant. :biggrin2:

Are you tired of your mate leaving gear behind? Can you never put your hand on the bait bucket, keeper net or landing net when you need it? Well, this is the product for you :biggrin2:

Introducing the Slinky-bucket (Patent Pending). A bait bucket, keeper net and landing net all rolled into one. Compact, multi-functional and pleasing to the eye, this bit of kit is a must for the dedicated fisho

post-3198-126628712771_thumb.jpg

Product Disclosure Statement: Not intended for mixed use. The bucket is for holding water in it, and NOT for landing Mangrove Jacks. Products may vary greatly from the picture. Please note: if you leave it at home, then you're completely up-the-creek!

Are you tired of your mate leaving gear behind? Can you never put your hand on the bait bucket, keeper net or landing net when you need it? Well, this is the product for you :biggrin2:

Introducing the Slinky-bucket (Patent Pending). A bait bucket, keeper net and landing net all rolled into one. Compact, multi-functional and pleasing to the eye, this bit of kit is a must for the dedicated fisho

post-3198-126628712771_thumb.jpg

Product Disclosure Statement: Not intended for mixed use. The bucket is for holding water in it, and NOT for landing Mangrove Jacks. Products may vary greatly from the picture. Please note: if you leave it at home, then you're completely up-the-creek!

A poor workman always blames his tools, Hodgey. You might need one but with the deft skill and finesse of Jewhunter on the bucket, we don't need any of those newfangled, high-tech gizmos. Does it come in pink? :074:

Slinky

Are you tired of your mate leaving gear behind? Can you never put your hand on the bait bucket, keeper net or landing net when you need it? Well, this is the product for you

:Funny-Post::074::074::074:

Good one Hodgey!

You girls crack me up! :074::074::074:

Hodgey, you may be onto something though.

The bucket may have been 1/2 the size of the one you have designed to be seen on the new inventors but it has proven one thing. It has been the ONLY way Slinky has managed to land a Jack up this way! :1yikes:

Cheers,

Grant.