South From Cronulla Towards Wattamolla

james7

Started by downrigging near Jibbon bommie just out of Port Hacking. Syd was testing his poor-man’s downrigger. (The bomb is made from some diving weights and uses a plastic peg for a clip) Anyway, it actually worked, although not on the intended species (kings). It was a bonito. We weren’t using livebait either, just a squid skirt. Got to give it to Syd, he’s quite an inventor. Next time we’ll try using a squid or live yakka.

We then trolled along the cliffs of the Royal National Park and picked up heaps of bonnies, five tailor and a couple of rat kings.

post-4381-126627276548_thumb.jpg

post-4381-126627274098_thumb.jpg

post-4381-126627282123_thumb.jpg

Sick of trolling, we motored out to about 30m-40m and drifted for flatties for a few hours.

It was hot and humid and despite it being Syd’s boat, I made him sit out in the light rain and sing for his supper.

post-4381-126627284409_thumb.jpg

Syd responded by threatening to spear me with a shovel nose ray.

post-4381-126627285973_thumb.jpg

Almost a “table-filler” - a true measure of success!

post-4381-126627288662_thumb.jpg

Syd holding my biggest flathead and one of his own. Both a good size for eating.

post-4381-126627290372_thumb.jpg

Tailor and a few of the bonnies filleted for smoking, as well as the flatties filleted. The end of a long, but good day.

post-4381-126627292495_thumb.jpg

Another fantastic day off the Royal National Park.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS
  • Like 1

That's a terrific feed of fish Peter :thumbup: Drifting for flathead in that depth of water must require some heavy weight? Is it with a paternoster rig? The results speak for themselves with some terrific flatties, especially the two Syd is holding. Far better eating quality than my dusky flathead down here IMHO. Great photos! You'll have to wear a chain-mail vest if Syd keeps harassing you with those 'pointy' objects :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

Great read there Pete, top session for yourself and Syd, you always get those flatties, they must see you coming and get in line to chomp on your offerings.

Great shots , and an entertaining laughable read. Congrats.. :thumbup::yahoo:

That's a terrific feed of fish Peter Drifting for flathead in that depth of water must require some heavy weight? Is it with a paternoster rig? The results speak for themselves with some terrific flatties, especially the two Syd is holding. Far better eating quality than my dusky flathead down here IMHO. Great photos! You'll have to wear a chain-mail vest if Syd keeps harassing you with those 'pointy' objects

Cheers

Skip

The wind and current was a bit "crazy" that day Hodgey, always changing, but the drift was slow, so we only needed 1/4lb of lead to hold bottom.

I used a two hook paternoster rig, Syd used three hook rigs. Towards the end of the day, Syd had three rods out to my one - and I still outfished him! :074:

Cheers

Peter