Beach

stryka

Hi guy's

im new to the site.

Been dying to get out for a while but weather and work was not on my side.

till i got fed up and made my way to my squoding spot sunday afternoon. thank god there

was a break in the weather for couple of hours, during that time i caught 4 green eye's about 6-700grams within the hour

and headed to newport beach. as i got there the rain started but it didnt stop me rigged up two rods and started casting.

it was about 9.30 rain continuosly comming down.would of been 10pm got my first jew 7.6kg thank god i was rapped its been a while

by 11.30 i was on my last bait till i heard my shimano calcutta 700 screaming on free spool.locked up my drag and did what i do best "STRIKE"

14kg flapping away in front of me after a good 10 min of tug a war.packed up my gear and off i went bak home shorly thinking how te hell am

i gona sleep to get up for work on monday.

ANY SURF FISHERMAN OUT THERE?

Top effort; 2 in a night. I fished Sunday in the rain a few beaches south of you and had a busy session on the tailor and salmon. The kept me running between my 3 rods. I was disappointed not to have a jewie turn up to share the action.

Nice report Stryka & well done on a couple of good beach jew.

Plenty of keen surf fishos on the site.

Any photos of the fish?

Cheers,

Grant.

unfortunatly i have not taken pics of them.

but i do have pics that ill be trying to up load on previose catches up to 20 kg surf jew.

thanks for your comment grant

mate welcome to the site

great to see youve gotten into some nice jewies :biggrin2::biggrin2:

ive been trying to get out on the beach for a seriuos fish for a while but just havnt managed it yet :ranting2:

ive got to get out there

craig

Mate its yhe best long wait you will ever come across. get out to a good gutter with some bait.

What structure do you look for when targeting jew off the beach? do you have to cast very far? ive only ever caught whiting and bream off the beach using worms.

were you catch bream is were u catch jews off the beach. your doing the right thing in regards structure on beach when it comes to fishing

for jews just start using bigger baits. TIGHT LINES

Top effort; 2 in a night. I fished Sunday in the rain a few beaches south of you and had a busy session on the tailor and salmon. The kept me running between my 3 rods. I was disappointed not to have a jewie turn up to share the action.

IT GETS LIKE THAT ALOT. if not sambo's or tailor i have troubles with bronze whaler shaks.

some fights are upto 20min of pain one after the other. i used to use for rods and take upto 3 kg of squid with me.

now im down to my 2 favourate rods.

try casting right on the edges of the gutter your fishing in..

post-12791-126647525096_thumb.jpg

thats a top result off the sand mate.2 jew of the sand in a session is excellent.sounds as though your a keen surf fisho.iv been wanting to fish for jews on the beach for a while now,but havnt in over a yr now.iv only ever landed 1 jew in the suds which is my pb jew to date.113cms,bout 12kgs at cronulla during winter at night about 3years ago.was fishing for tailor,got a few & put 1 out live.10mins later im hooked up.10-15min fight & the first sight of that slab of silver in the wash was just the best.i can picture it in my head now,seeing it in the light of my headtorch sure warmed the blood cos it was a freezing cold winters night.theyr soooo silver off the beach & theyr my favourite fish in the world.i just love my jewfish/mulloway.

couple questions mate.other than squid,what other baits do you prefer to use for them off the beach?cos thats the only jew iv caught on the beach & i got it on live tailor[30-32cms],other times iv tried squid,mullet,yakkas,salmon & tailor slabs & heads but havnt caught anymore.maybe it was a fluke?but iv certainly put in the hrs.

& what rig do you use & what pound line/leader do you use?braid or mono?hook size?

1 i caught was on 30lb mono & 40lb leader,2 snelled 5/0s.back then i only used mono,but now i use 20-30lb braid & 30-40lb flouro leader.any tips will be much appreciated.

cheers johnny. :beersmile: :thumbup:P.S,what area u from?

Edited by fisher doi

thanx stryka top catch just joined and am truly on the quest for big jew thanx for tips awesome info got my first one other night but only around 60cm but get heaps of big shovelnoses up to around 20kg am i on the right track or got another spot which got a bronzie one night is that better or same same?

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

been off the hook for a while, got married and now have a bloody mortgage (not recomended for fIsherman).

i have been collecting baut for a while but have met the right time to go off the sands,

i have attached somethin i promised earlier, these puppy's were caught 1.5 hrs of fishing 17kg each.

i have other pics i will attach later.

has any 1 been catching jews lately?

been itching to go.

hey andrew if you read this get back to me asap.....

TIGHT LINES!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

been off the hook for a while, got married and now have a bloody mortgage (not recomended for fIsherman).

i have been collecting baut for a while but have met the right time to go off the sands,

i have attached somethin i promised earlier, these puppy's were caught 1.5 hrs of fishing 17kg each.

i have other pics i will attach later.

has any 1 been catching jews lately?

been itching to go.

hey andrew if you read this get back to me asap.....

TIGHT LINES!!!!!!!!

Yo Buddy!

Good on you for tying the knot. I did the same last year and can't speak highly enough of it. I hope your mrs. lets you get out for a fish though (like mine) and she understands that it is good for our souls to be out on the water and bringing home the seafood. Let's get out there champ. Will send you a PM

thats a top result off the sand mate.2 jew of the sand in a session is excellent.sounds as though your a keen surf fisho.iv been wanting to fish for jews on the beach for a while now,but havnt in over a yr now.iv only ever landed 1 jew in the suds which is my pb jew to date.113cms,bout 12kgs at cronulla during winter at night about 3years ago.was fishing for tailor,got a few & put 1 out live.10mins later im hooked up.10-15min fight & the first sight of that slab of silver in the wash was just the best.i can picture it in my head now,seeing it in the light of my headtorch sure warmed the blood cos it was a freezing cold winters night.theyr soooo silver off the beach & theyr my favourite fish in the world.i just love my jewfish/mulloway.

couple questions mate.other than squid,what other baits do you prefer to use for them off the beach?cos thats the only jew iv caught on the beach & i got it on live tailor[30-32cms],other times iv tried squid,mullet,yakkas,salmon & tailor slabs & heads but havnt caught anymore.maybe it was a fluke?but iv certainly put in the hrs.

& what rig do you use & what pound line/leader do you use?braid or mono?hook size?

1 i caught was on 30lb mono & 40lb leader,2 snelled 5/0s.back then i only used mono,but now i use 20-30lb braid & 30-40lb flouro leader.any tips will be much appreciated.

cheers johnny. :beersmile: :thumbup:P.S,what area u from?

Im no expert, here is a tip from the site.

hope this helps

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-jewfish.php

Nice effort on the beach jew stryker :thumbup: Jewfish and especially squid seem to thrive on the lousiest of fishing conditions and moreso during the most miserable of southerlies... The pecking order is generally nothing and then more of the same, then the jewfish come in and in turn are usually followed by the toothy scavengers such as the whalers and the hammerheads and particularly in the worst possible conditions.

Well done stryker and I hope get to team up with Humesy on the northern beaches as you would not meet a more inteligent fishermen so keen on understanding the habits of jewfish than Andrew, that's for sure....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well done stryker and I hope get to team up with Humesy on the northern beaches as you would not meet a more inteligent fishermen so keen on understanding the habits of jewfish than Andrew, that's for sure....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Oh Byron, If only it were true. I'd have caught that 20kg fish ages ago. :074:

Hi guy's

im new to the site.

Been dying to get out for a while but weather and work was not on my side.

till i got fed up and made my way to my squoding spot sunday afternoon. thank god there

was a break in the weather for couple of hours, during that time i caught 4 green eye's about 6-700grams within the hour

and headed to newport beach. as i got there the rain started but it didnt stop me rigged up two rods and started casting.

it was about 9.30 rain continuosly comming down.would of been 10pm got my first jew 7.6kg thank god i was rapped its been a while

by 11.30 i was on my last bait till i heard my shimano calcutta 700 screaming on free spool.locked up my drag and did what i do best "STRIKE"

14kg flapping away in front of me after a good 10 min of tug a war.packed up my gear and off i went bak home shorly thinking how te hell am

i gona sleep to get up for work on monday.

ANY SURF FISHERMAN OUT THERE?

HI MATE ANY PHOTOS??

IT GETS LIKE THAT ALOT. if not sambo's or tailor i have troubles with bronze whaler shaks.

some fights are upto 20min of pain one after the other. i used to use for rods and take upto 3 kg of squid with me.

now im down to my 2 favourate rods.

try casting right on the edges of the gutter your fishing in..

:1prop:

You look like you're 3 feet tall and have massive clown feet shaped like sharks!!!

You are one of few people I know who can make decent regular catches from the surf, nice one. See you out on the sand sometime.