Tweed Coming Together

slinkymalinky

It's been a long summer. Jewhunter, BrownDog 1 and I have been working hard to try to get the Tweed Jack population wired. After today it's Jacks 6, Slinky 2 as I put one in the boat for the second session running. On top of that, the pattern we've finally managed to put together saw JH land a couple of tough GTs on light gear, along with both of us boating enough bream and flatties to keep us occupied.

We met at Tumbulgum at 5.30. In the dark, we wandered over to a convenient street light for me to hand over a bag full of reels I'd been tidying up... we must have looked like we were doing a drug deal (I'm pretty sure we would have created a few'alert, not alarmed' phone calls had anyone been watching). :smoke:

After putting Jewhunter's boat in the water, we quickly worked the nearby bridge for not much. JH had to put up with me slobbering all over his new Lowrance HDS5 which is to my good (but last generation) sounder, what an electric drum kit is to 2 rocks. :drool:

Not only can you see every fish with perfect definition, even right down hard on the bottom... you can tell what colour lipstick they're wearing. :fish_h4h:

Nothing happened at the bridge, or at Stotts Island, or at the 'powerlines'. It was looking pretty grim until we hit a rock wall not unlike the successful spot we found last weekend in the Broadwater. Same water conditions, same sort of current, bait flicking along the rocks. The first few casts told the story, suddenly we were getting hits, landing flatties and bream and generally having a much more entertaining time :gathering:

Sure enough, just as JH and I were changing places in the boat there was the telltale bream-like bite of a jack on plastics followed by a serious bend in the Lox. Once again, using light gear, rather than make a bee-line for the nearest sharp bit of NSW, the Jack darted around in confused circles while JH got the boat out into clear water. By the time the fish decided to play up, he was a long way from home.

Even though JH had to use a landing net instead of the bucket he is more familar with, there were no mistakes and a 39cm Tweed Red Devil hit the deck. We're both finally feeling like we know a bit about what we're doing chasing these bad boys.

post-6175-126672610614_thumb.jpg

Oh... and BrownDog (who wasn't with us today)... now you're only one up in the overall stakes too :gun_bandana:

Only a minute or 2 later, Jewhunter hooked up solid to an angry fish that bolted straight for deep water. A slugging fight, ending in deep circles and a GT popped to the surface. It wasn't red but a quality fish that you'd love to catch any day. After a quick happy snap, it went back to terrorise the Tweed prawn population.

post-6175-12667261076_thumb.jpg

Soon afterwards, the tide slowed right down and the fish did too. We went and tried some deep, snaggy banks and I got yet another Atomic Tomato Squidgie Fish smashed up by a Jack but it was the only touch so we went in search of rockier pastures.

Right on cue, JH found us another stretch with all the right conditions just as the current was starting to push back in and the fish followed. Jewhunter got smacked by an angry fish we both called for a Jack but turned out to be another GT. It's not often you see someone annoyed by catching a GT... but that flash of red of a Jack down deep is an addiction that's hard to shake.

post-6175-126672610998_thumb.jpg

post-6175-126672611136_thumb.jpg

A few more hits and fish and it was time to call it quits so we could both spend time with our respective fishing widows. Cleaning up involving collecting shreds of Hot Tomato Fish and Pearl Prongs from all over JH's awesome fishing rig.

post-6175-126672611279_thumb.jpg

post-6175-126672611456_thumb.jpg

Great day out as usual with JH, with no small amount of sledging and banter... (thanks for the invite mate... your Reddie is so close now I can smell it... oh sorry, that the smell of the one I just cleaned :thumbup: )

Cheers, Slinky

..... my admittedly good (but last generation) sounder, what 2 rocks are to an electric drum kit.

Not only can you see every fish with perfect definition, even right down hard on the bottom... you can tell what colour lipstick they're wearing. ......

Hey Slinky - you are such a wag!!! I think we should have a Thread on 'Notable Quotes' ...... you'd be in it every day!! :074:

Congrats on getting that jack into the boat - well deserved, yet again - you really do give them every chance to brick you, eh??

Most folk use 25lb line & skulldrag them in! Not you!!

Good to see there is one area that could do with improvement - what happened in Pic 4?? You actually got JH's head into it!!! :074: In pic 2 I thought it was all part of staying 'anonymous'!!

Well done on the GT, Grant - he would have 'gone' too!! Nice looking breambo, too, Tony! A good mixed bag!!

Don't you hate it when your sps get chewed like that?? Makes it expensive too!

All up, a great day with mates

Cheerio

ROberta

Thanks again for another top day Slinky. :thumbup:

We always have a hoot & it was real fun chasing the tide up & down the river.

I'm actually feeling alot more confident in finding fish up here. It feels like it's all starting to come together.

Well done on your Jack mate. My turn next!! :wacko: I'm getting a bit sick of the Trevs!

I think we are getting a bit spoilt. I can't ever remember being grumpy about catching a G.T! :1yikes:

It was all about trying a different part of the river today & to pull some nice fish from spots we had never fished before makes it even more satisfying. :biggrin2:

A big thanks & :thumbup: for getting my reels back to working order again! :1prop:

Cheers,

Grant.

Jacks, GT's ... you two are bloody spoilt! :biggrin2: Terrific to read that you're starting to get your head around the intricacies of your system up there mate. Another beautiful jack falls fowl of those lethal prongs :thumbup: You'd better let Grant get the next Jack mate or you'll be swimming home :074:

Cheers

Skip

Jacks, GT's ... you two are bloody spoilt! :biggrin2: Terrific to read that you're starting to get your head around the intricacies of your system up there mate. Another beautiful jack falls fowl of those lethal prongs :thumbup: You'd better let Grant get the next Jack mate or you'll be swimming home :074:

Cheers

Skip

Aha! It wasn't a prong this time... The water was so filthy, I switched to Squidgie Fish in 'Killer Tomato'. The colour and extra vibration in the dirty water seemed to do the trick. JH's GTs were both 'pronged'. That said if I could only ever fish with one lure anywhere for the rest of my days it would be a 3" Atomic Prong in Pearl Core.

Cheers, Slinky

Great report Slinky :thumbup:

I think we should have a Thread on 'Notable Quotes' ...... you'd be in it every day!!

I agree with Roberta, you have a way with words Slinky!

Good to hear there has been plenty of action with those jacks.

A good read and great pictures.

Cheers

Peter

Slinky ,

thanks for cutting out most of Grants head in that shot, much appreciated , it will save many young children a fright :074:

Sounds like his new boat is perfect for what he is doing . Can't wait to get on it later this year and to catch up with him . The HDS is an awsome unit , I love how at 60km sometimes faster I still can read the bottom [ when it's not to choppy ] also the bottom definition , it's easy to find weedbeds when you can't see into the water and define between trees and schools of bait when your bassin.

Tight lines , and good luck with the Jacks men .

Bubba