What Are Colours

NoviceFisho

Hey guys i hear you folks mentioning the colours and the sticks?? what are these? i'm guessing areas for fishing?? can any one shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

The colours are a reef about 400-500 metres out from THE GAP (and about 100metres north), approx 1000 metres south from Sydney heads( the southern head), if you motor out there you will see plenty of boats on the reef there, from memory it is about 15-20metres deep

The colours are a reef about 400-500 metres out from THE GAP (and about 100metres north), approx 1000 metres south from Sydney heads( the southern head), if you motor out there you will see plenty of boats on the reef there, from memory it is about 15-20metres deep

I thought that area was called Ben Bucker or something similar. It's a ridge of reef that runs east west rising from 30-20m on the highest point.

I thought the colours were 2 or so km's out off North head in a easterly direction around the 40-50m depth range were all the cattle boat charter boats hang out......

G

Ben Buckler is the name for the north headland of Bondi beach.

The reef where all the charter boats fish off North head could be called "whale"

Thats what it was called on the boat ("Halicat") I worked on years ago.

I thought that area was called Ben Bucker or something similar. It's a ridge of reef that runs east west rising from 30-20m on the highest point.

I thought the colours were 2 or so km's out off North head in a easterly direction around the 40-50m depth range were all the cattle boat charter boats hang out......

G

Maybe your right, Im only new to it and thought that was the colours when i was fishing there, and yes it was mostly around the 20metre mark at the highest point with drops around it

Maybe your right, Im only new to it and thought that was the colours when i was fishing there, and yes it was mostly around the 20metre mark at the highest point with drops around it

As for the sticks there are some just out from the oil tanker wharf in botany bay about 500metre or so towards Brighton le sands, im sure that is the sticks in Botany bay but i could be wrong on that one too

The sticks are about 80m give or take west of the drums where the oil tankers pull up. There are 6 red marker poles there (four in a square formation and 2 offset), which is where it gets its name. Can't miss them. Position yourself about half way between the drums and the sticks on a run in tide and you should get some pretty decent results.

Regards

Daniel

A little bit off topic, but here is a couple of sounder shots taken around "The Colours" (approx 500m off the Sth Head Signal Station), It was about 2-3 weeks weeks ago and I landed a King 95-100cm about 15mins before the photos were taken.

post-2893-126879080362_thumb.jpg

post-2893-126879079031_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. Only have a 640x480 camera on my old phone and was in a crappy 2-3m southerly swell.

cheers

Rod

I have the same sounder mate and its been many a fishing days since ive seen such a reading like yours in Botany Bay.Last year was just unbelievable and im just gutted this year as our expectations and hopes for a better one have been pumped down the shita with all the work that had to be done in the bay. I guess the bright side we all got a great new boat-ramp from it all, and there is always next year.......cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh... After reading about the "Colours" in Fishraider, I googled "Fishing where +colours". The only site it pointed me to that made any sense was right back to fishraider and this post.

Thanks guys.

Incidently, i wreckon someone can make a little bit of bait money by marking the colloquial names for known spots on a map and selling as an e-book! Or is there a book out already that anyone knows of?

I get lost navigating out of my own bay :1prop:

Thanks again guys

"The colours" that I suggested, about 500 metres off the Gap and a touch further south was the GPS co-ords I got from a GPS markers book, I have searched GPS fishing markers (in books and on the interent) and YES I seem to have quite a few different Co-ords for the apparent same place,,,

Was funny coz one, "The Colours" GPS co-ord had the reef out from the Northern Sydney head, which I knew wasnt right.

The Reef I suggested holds Kingfish!!!!, I have never caught one there, but last time I was there, there were about 20-30 boats sitting on the place I suggested, with every boat Jigging like bastards, including myself.

Now Im only a learner to the fishing scene, but if 20-30 boats are sitting there Jigging only (no other method being used) then it tells me they know there are Kingfish there........or we are all just sheep....*smile*

As for the sticks in Botany Bay Im sure Scotty Lyons ( the new fishraider sponsor) can shed some light on this one as I see him hanging around them often, but my suggestion of 300 or so metres from the oil wharf at a Brighton le Sands-San Souci direction isnt far off either!

ive got that mark aswell, well roughly around there, although ive never tried it

the colors like everyone has said just out from south head the harbour and its a reef bottom

the sticks in botany were you can get bream and flatties i think the red? markers near the oil refinery from memory

goodluck

hi guys these are the co ords i have for The Colours , cheers and good luck!

Latitude: -33 50.930

Longitud: 151 17.650

ive got that mark aswell, well roughly around there, although ive never tried it

the colors like everyone has said just out from south head the harbour and its a reef bottom

the sticks in botany were you can get bream and flatties i think the red? markers near the oil refinery from memory

goodluck

I think you will find it called Northerners, it is a small drop off running North South and hold kings sometimes. It is about 1.8km east of North Head proper.

David

The Colours is actually a reef formation that is quite large, i have four marks i used for it which marks the various pinnacles and drop offs, each mark is about 200-300 metres away from each other so all the marks u have are probably right