Squid

Reeso

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to catch squid by shining a light on the water and scooping them out with a net when they come? just like prawning.

I have seen articles saying that they are attracted to light but everyone seems to use the jiggs. I want to catch some when I head up to the hawkesbury on monday and wanted to know about how you tell a good spot for them and all that? Like water depth, weed and stuff. Ive never tried for squid before, usually just buy them from the local garage but Ive read they dont work for jewfish unless theyre fresh.

Thanks,

They are a bit quick for scooping :biggrin2: They get attracted by lights mainle because the lights attract small fish which the squid then come to feed on. Just toss a small jig to them & they will grab it.

I have listed a few squid areas in my article on squid which is at this link Squid

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply but I asked a nice gentleman a while ago what he was doing walking the edge of ettalong in the night with a torch and net, and it was exactly what you described. Didn't see him get one but he mentioned not to shine the torch directly on them.

I have caught small squid whilst prawning with light and net. Not many about 4 -5 and only once. Was at Rodd Point in Iron Cove Christmas Eve 4 years ago. Went with a mate who owns a tackle shop a customer had told him they had caught a heap of prawns there so we left our wives drinking champagne and went fishun and prawnin christmas eve we got heaps a prawns and these five little squid about the size of your hand perfect bait size.

He used em on boxing day though.

Cheers

Trev