Busting Rods

Daniel Frost

Broke a rod once in a tackle shop when demonstrating it's "Power and flexability" to a customer , 40lb spin stick , just loaded it up a little too much and it went off like a shotgun :wacko: , didn't get a sale out of that bloke . Now in the last 4 months I have had 2 rods $500 plus each explode on the cast , not the tip but just in front of the stripper guide ,the first was only 4 days old and the last one that broke was casting a sugar pen , not a lot of weight to cast ,unbeleivable :ranting2: .

Unlike the first incident in the shop these 2 breaks I doubt were my fault or the result of a knock.

So I doubt im the only bloke this has happened to , so are there any raiders out there who can beat my total of 3 busted rods , or any horror stories of new rods exploding ?

Would love to hear some stories ? It would help ease my pain :mad3: .

Bubba

I'll ease your pain Bubba. :biggrin2:

You saw the one I broke in Weipa.

Last year alone I broke. 1 x Struddy softbodz finesse 1-3kg. A Struddy sic stick pro. A Struddy sic stick. A Daiwa pro-caster & Daiwa heartland. All in the 1-3 or 2-4 kg range. None of them in the car boot or windows. I won't go into how as I could write a book! :1yikes:

Before that was probably the most heartbreaking. I Softbodz finesse before I had even used it.

Got it off Mick. Was showing my sister how good it was with her holding the tip. She lets go under full load & it springs back up straight into the ceiling. Snapped 6 inches above the 2 piece join. :ranting2:

As you know I now have kids. No more expensive rods for me while those two are getting into my shed & 'playing' with dad's rods! :1badmood:

I hope you're not feeling so bad now mate! :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

Only two for me first was a wilson heavy barra with abu 7000 on it I was playing around with it out on the Great Barrier reef on the outside of Bloomfield reef and got spooled on 20lb so I wound some 55lb schneider on to it and locked up the drag Think I hooked a dogtooth(we had caught a small one already)which nearly pulled me over the side of the boat when the rod exploded second was a custom 2 piece rod that snapped on a bream just above the ferule was replaced under warranty as it was something with the way it was built

I've stopped counting the number of tips I've snapped off. I've blown up a couple too... One was a Kamikaze jig stick when I thought I check out just how strong 'these jig rods' were. Apparently, not strong enough to be tied off to a desk and put under load at full lock drag with a Stella!! Boy it made a noise.

:1prop:

Here's the result of MrsSlinky's very first cast on our trip to Cape York a couple of years back. That's one was to learn what high-sticking means :biggrin2:

post-6175-126898293877_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Slinky

Oh Dear - in the last 3 - 4 weeks, I have broken the tips off 3 of my favourite rods!!

The first was my 'Loomis composite' which busted when I did an over zealous cast in the shallows here in Forster ...... lost about 3" from the top.

Whilst at SWR a couple of weeks back, I was casting my Starlostix Pro Tournament Lite from the shore & a tern dive bombed my Sammy & in trying to avoid it, I whipped the rod tip to the right, hitting a rock (duh, I forgot I wasn't on the water!) and broke about 2" from the tip of that one! Funnily enough, theday before, a fellow yakker had busted a similar amount from HIS Starlostix Pro Tournament Lite when putting it into his car in the rain! He took it to the local tackle shop for a new tip. The ceramic had already come out of mine & I had replaced the tip a week or two before ..... so when I rocked up to the tackle shop for some hot glue to re-attach my 'already big enough' tip ..... the shop owner couldn't believe it! Same rod as the day before! Rob & I reckon we now have a 'customised' Starlostix!!

THen last week, during the yak comp on Wallis Lake, yet another 'over zealous' cast busted the tip off my Berkley Dropshot! :1yikes::1badmood::ranting2:

I now have 3 'customised' rods - all my favourites are very similar now!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hmmmmm

1 X backbone elit 8-10kgs whilst trolling close to bluefish 2 years back, a very good fish lost.

1 X abu dunno specs (think 6-8kg), cheapie rod bought from un-named shop snapped on a good king about 200-300mm from top guide.

God bless fishing, gives us a reason to work.

Dan

umm none, but im not big on graphite.

you shouldnt break a rod fighting a fish.

i dont understand this casting thing.

if you remove obvious mishaps, car doors, ceiling fans, pissed idiots and hi sticking rod borrowers a rod should not break, ever. if it does warranty should cover it.

.....i dont understand this casting thing....

Hi Steve - in my yak I have 2 rods in the rear rod holders behind my seat (they are just behind & beside my shoulder.) Sometimes when i 'wind up' to do a terrific cast, the lure on the rod I am casting comes in contact with the top of one of the rods in the holder! Result = busted rod tip!

Roberta

Done a few over the years but the most painful was a $1200 Miller I stepped on before I even took the first cast on it!

BUT

I'll sit and wait for RichP to reply to this one as his story still makes me cringe just thinking about it! LOL

Greg

LOL and here i was reading this thinking ive never done such a thing.Thanks Greg.

5 years ago fishing a ABT comp at Batemans Bay. Myself and a nonboater were heading up the back of the Clyde in my old 4m hornet.I went to move my tacklebag from the front to the back when i slipped of the seat pulling the deadman switch making the motor die throwing me forward and letting go of the tiller steer.Thus making the boat turn 90deg throwing me to the starboard side gunnel rail snapping 6 high end rods.My nonboater at the time was sponsored by Black diamond rods so all 3 of his rods smashed at gunnel hieght.My rods 2 seagakes and one jerking special.Now if anyone knows these rods they are making good money now second hand. So in a split second i had just spent roughly $4000. Man i was #@####. Lucky i had 2 spare rods in the Hornet rod locker, If that is what you want to call it. One good one that lent to the non boater and the other one had a smashed tip guide.Every second time i would cast it would snap the line.

It was a great day NOT.

Thanks again Greg

Rich

First trip outside with the new girlfriends dad, (using his rod)

had a decent king on , had him to the boat a few times and thought this time he was out of steam , put one hand up the rod to grab the leader (big mistake) he took off like a flash and snapped the rod clean in half, lost some braid and the rig.

he now calls me rod rooter

1980,i'm looking for new bream rod in large tackle store,sat morn shopping,lots of people,see rod billed as most popular one in europe,$80.00 plus,think i will check what sort of bend a tweed wall bream will put on it,and will the line still wind up,rod snaps like a gunshot at ferrule,50+ heads come up and go down just as quick,long walk to counter,red face,can feel heat wave,salesman won't look at me,put pieces on counter and leave. 1983,illuka,woody head,weekend before have nailed 9 big greenbacks in the 4 to 5 kg class,back for more,beaut conditions like week before,not a fish on the sat,so sun is boom or bust as its back to brissy midday,3hrs in,no fish,no sign of any,and bamm,i'm into one,as i lift it clear of rock ledge,line parts,i toss rod and jump into waist deep surge,plunge my arm in and come up with fish grabbed behind head,mate looks on in amazement as i wave arm length tailor at him,rule one applies,where there's one, there's more,get back in the water.go to recover rod,can't see it anywhere,ask mate did he see where it went,say's he was watching me,but it went behind me,search area gets bigger and bigger,finally about 50 yards away i find it,it being a 13 foot wilson hollow glass one piece surf rod with a 500 alvey attached,now it's 3 foot shorter and as the ceramic spool broke on impact, with a 150 yards of 15lb mono birds nest,not bad for a one arm toss over the shoulder.only rods i have broken.

I've snapped a live fibre too. as i was rigging up i got the line thru the last guide and then pulled about 2m of line so i could tie on a hook. i then see a 15cm piece of the rod slide down onto the end of the line. the tip just snapped like a scotch finger. i've always protected my rods so i doubt it had a hairline fracture.

On another live fibre, although not serious, the tip guide fell off.

Don't think i'll ever be a repeat customer.

Ive broken 2 Rods one of my mates Silstar powertips,,,(When I was starting out fishing) I got it snagged on the bottom and used the rods curving finess to get it off the bottom, the rod didnt like it.......snap, I now know better than to flex the rod to pull it off a snag,, I bought him a new rod,....... the second was also when I was learning, went into ****** to try the flex on a Shimano Andrew Ettinhhausen thang, over flexed it and snap, my wife took off down the isle, with me following,........... didnt think much of those rods anyway!!!! *smile*

Rich .....Man that must have really hurt 6 rods in the blink of an eye :ranting2: , wow that takes the cake , just reading that story gave me a sick feeling , it was like when you see somebody get kicked in the groin and even though it didn't happen to you , you still feel the pain. Unlucky man .

Ohh and if we ever fish together... im driving ! :biggrin2:

M[]RGS mate that is a classic ... "Rod Rooter" :074: thats Gold , pure Gold .

idolz ,

Mate busting a silstar power tip , now thats an effort ! Those things are tuff you must have really given it to it !

JewHunter , mate kids arn't allowed in my fishing room I showed you the other weekend , lucky I don't have any , as they could cause some major carnage in there , I shudder to think about it .

Roberta

Thats pretty harsh, 3 tips in 3 weeks , soon you will have to take up jigging at that rate .

DGF

Busting a rod on an Eel ,devastating , thats like getting kicked in the guts twice , once for the rod once for the Eel.

Crunch ,

Your Mrs ran over your live fibre , just let her know , once is an accident , twice is divorced . :biggrin2:

Fishkiller

Do you still shop at the same store ?

Thanks for all the responses I don't feel so bad now , it seems we all have our moments ,

Cheers :thumbup:

Bubba

P.S Would be impressed if anyone can beat Rich's effort ! That was all time .

I've only snapped a 6ft &&*&*& shimano rod, 4-6kg rating and I had 9lb mono on it so very light tackle. snagged it on a rock and was jerking the rod to try and get it off, gave it a solid pull expecting the line to break (as it had previously) and the rod exploded and split in half. must have tied some good knots for once!! still surprised i managed to destroy a rod with line on the lighter end of its scale, granted it was bent almost 180 degrees when it went.

went out and bought a slightly stronger rod, now i have a cheap 7ft rod, a nice graphite 7ft rod and an 8ft beach rod. cheapie for mucking around graphite for when i am taking care of my equipment and beach one for occasional use when the wind and waves die down (I hate having my bait blown around everywhere!).

edit - love how the store that starts in k and ends in mart is censored!! lol

Edited by Geoff-

I've done plenty,

snapped the tip off my 15kg game rod checking the drag...... i guess it was set a bit to tight.

Snapped plenty of carbon rods on boats.... had a few snapped for me thanks to other peoples feet too!

Rich .....Man that must have really hurt 6 rods in the blink of an eye ranting2.gif , wow that takes the cake , just reading that story gave me a sick feeling , it was like when you see somebody get kicked in the groin and even though it didn't happen to you , you still feel the pain. Unlucky man .

Ohh and if we ever fish together... im driving ! biggrin2.gif

M[]RGS mate that is a classic ... "Rod Rooter" 074.gif thats Gold , pure Gold .

idolz ,

Mate busting a silstar power tip , now thats an effort ! Those things are tuff you must have really given it to it !

JewHunter , mate kids arn't allowed in my fishing room I showed you the other weekend , lucky I don't have any , as they could cause some major carnage in there , I shudder to think about it .

Roberta

Thats pretty harsh, 3 tips in 3 weeks , soon you will have to take up jigging at that rate .

DGF

Busting a rod on an Eel ,devastating , thats like getting kicked in the guts twice , once for the rod once for the Eel.

Crunch ,

Your Mrs ran over your live fibre , just let her know , once is an accident , twice is divorced . biggrin2.gif

Fishkiller

Do you still shop at the same store ?

Thanks for all the responses I don't feel so bad now , it seems we all have our moments ,

Cheers thumbup.gif

Bubba

P.S Would be impressed if anyone can beat Rich's effort ! That was all time .

yes i do,felt sort of obligated ,but i didn't go back for a couple of months after,must have spent a couple of grand there now.fk.