Mahi Mahi Madness !

stylo

This report follows on from here..

http://www.fishraide...19

When my mate said he was organising a charter for dolphin fish, I did not realise what sort of fishing I was up for.

With an early 5 am start on Saturday from Kyeemagh boat ramp, we very quickly rounded up about 40 odd yakkas and we set off on a journey out wide. Now I fish mostly landbased and 'out wide' was a term I should have looked into a little closer. How does 20 knot winds, 1-2 metre swells, dark skies and not being able to see land for 360 degrees sound ?

We ended being about 10 nautical miles out from land - I had absolutely no idea where we went because I was holding on to the seat handles so tight so I did not fall off the boat the seas were that rough. I peeked at the GPS a few times and all I saw was blue on the screen. Madness.

Surprisingly, the conditions died down when we hit our spot - eye of the storm kinda thing. Skipper Steven set up two lures to troll out the back on TLD50's and within 2 minutes they both get smashed. I'm on ! Both fish are boated and high fives all round ! The next two or three hours was pure madness .. every single livie we had got taken...

We used BTR's with 20lb line and there were few bustups. Many of the fish provided us with the acrobatics that they are famous for - a wonderful sight to see. My Daiwa Emcast 5000 was used in anger for the first time and granted the fish are not dirty fighters, the drag held up extremely well. I understand why so may people opt for those big ass Stella knob upgrades now ... those knobs would have life a lot easier. I believe Disturb3d caught the biggest fish for the day on his new Twinpower/Fin-Nor Ahab combo with a fish that came in close to a metre! Prev and Sid might dispute that but I sure as hell know that I lost two good sized dollies at the boat.

Just a tip for everyone - it sure looked as though the fights were a lot easier on mono than braid !

The weather turned and we were really getting a hammering around the boat. By the time our 40 odd yakkas were used we decided to turn and head back home. We did not bag out but I was pretty surprised to see the final count of 40 legal fish between the 6 of us !

These are my favourite pics off my camera from the day. We all had a great day out and can't wait to do it all again - big seas and all.

Les

Edited by stylo

It was the best day i've had in a long time.

Awesome ... just pure fishing dollie madness!!!

This report follows on from here..

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=47119&st=0&p=347319entry347319

When my mate said he was organising a charter for dolphin fish, I did not realise what sort of fishing I was up for.

With an early 5 am start on Saturday from Kyeemagh boat ramp, we very quickly rounded up about 40 odd yakkas and we set off on a journey out wide. Now I fish mostly landbased and 'out wide' was a term I should have looked into a little closer. How does 20 knot winds, 1-2 metre swells, dark skies and not being able to see land for 360 degrees sound ?

We ended being about 10 nautical miles out from land - I had absolutely no idea where we went because I was holding on to the seat handles so tight so I did not fall off the boat the seas were that rough. I peeked at the GPS a few times and all I saw was blue on the screen. Madness.

Surprisingly, the conditions died down when we hit our spot - eye of the storm kinda thing. Skipper Steven set up two lures to troll out the back on TLD50's and within 2 minutes they both get smashed. I'm on ! Both fish are boated and high fives all round ! The next two or three hours was pure madness .. every single livie we had got taken...

We used BTR's with 20lb line and there were few bustups. Many of the fish provided us with the acrobatics that they are famous for - a wonderful sight to see. My Daiwa Emcast 5000 was used in anger for the first time and granted the fish are not dirty fighters, the drag held up extremely well. I understand why so may people opt for those big ass Stella knob upgrades now ... those knobs would have life a lot easier. I believe Disturb3d caught the biggest fish for the day on his new Twinpower/Fin-Nor Ahab combo with a fish that came in close to a metre! Prev and Sid might dispute that but I sure as hell know that I lost two good sized dollies at the boat.

Just a tip for everyone - it sure looked as though the fights were a lot easier on mono than braid !

The weather turned and we were really getting a hammering around the boat. By the time our 40 odd yakkas were used we decided to turn and head back home. We did not bag out but I was pretty surprised to see the final count of 40 legal fish between the 6 of us !

These are my favourite pics off my camera from the day. We all had a great day out and can't wait to do it all again - big seas and all.

Les

Great catch guys I must have just missed you arrive back at ramp.

Glad you were not the boat that decided to use two lanes of the ramp to pack your tackle and have a chat for almost an hour.

They did not give a hoot to any body else.

That's pretty selfish ...

Thanks Rednet, Steve is a top bloke and gun fisho as well !!