New Outfit For The Stones Part Ii

autocad

i've been given the goahead from the minister of finance :wife: that I am allowed to upgrade my 10year old rod as well to go with my new reel. The existing 12foot ugly stik has been excellent but it is a bit worn out with a heap of scratches and a few of the guides starting to rust.

So what would be a good rod to go with the saltist 4500h? I don't really like full graphite rods for the rocks, as i've broken quite a few. I am inclined to stick with the ugly stick or any graphite composite rod in the 10-12foot range.

Criteria would be;

light enough to hold all day

strong enough to endure a few(many) knocks

the reel seat not located too high on the rod (I'm a short arse with short arms so I've always cut off half of the sand spike on my previous rods)

budget of say $300

I like my rods to have a slim butt section,

Any recommendations?

on another note, can you buy ugly stik blanks to build up yourself?

cheers autocad

to me its light because i use an alvey with a heavy fibreglass rod. and i haven't heard my bro in law complain but then again he's a labourer in the construction biz

i think they have one 5-10kg, check their website. but since you've got the 4500, don't you want to fish heavy?

Are you spinning or bait soaking or just after an all purpose rod? 8 or 10kg rod should suffice unless you are going for groper.

A heavier full fibreglass rod should be ok for just bait soaking. Bit of a waste on a saltist though. I'd get a composite rod - strong and light and not too fragile. You can spin or use it for baits/floats.

Test out out the Penn Spinfisher big game, Silstar power tip or Silstar Crystal Blue range. Take your reel in and test them all out !

I just recently purchased a crystal blue 8-12kg

I got it in the 10 foot becasue im only 15 so 12 foots abit long for me

Its perfectly balanced with my 4500h saltist and 20lb braid

Good luck shopping :thumbup:

Hi Hazza

Is that Crystal blue a 1piece or a 2piece rod mate????? Ive heard there great value for the price

Hi Hazza

Is that Crystal blue a 1piece or a 2piece rod mate????? Ive heard there great value for the price

Its a two piece and its an unbleivable rod, i preffered it over the live fibre and the heartland which are both around 300 mark and the silstar is around 150-200 depends where you get it from. It can also handle alot of knocks and bumps becasue its full fibreglass.

Dont be put off by the weight rating as i was throwing 30gm metals and they went flying..

Harry

i've just had a look at the nitro surf assassin and the messaiah...awsome rods but they are graphite...

anyone had any experience with these for breakage...i guess they have the $60 breakage warranty. Is it an unlimited warranty?

As stylo mentioned, The Penn Spinfisher Big Game is a good rod, however its full graphite. In saying that i've got an 11 foot one at home and to be honest, i don't give it respect at the rocks. I drop it, put it between rocks etc and i've had no dramas. Only problem is, the reel eat is quite high

I realy like my emblem pro 96 yes its under 10 and graphite but for spinning it will cast 40 - 85 gram raiders damn far. i use this rod primary for tailor etc for blues (Longtails) or spanish and odd decent gt i use a pe 4-6 tuna rod however a mate of mine uses his for his lbg spinning and has landed some big fish up to 21 kg blues and around the same in spanish and hes caught a lot more than me mate he floggs this rod and really gives it a big work out on some serious fish and has no problem with it and hes not a big bloke surprisingly its tippy enough so that it fun for tailor and cast even light metals I,m on my second rod of these simply got hit by a wave fell over backwards and landed on it while still holding the rod in hand doubt any rod would have survied that

anway just my imput.

cheers

It's a shame you're not into graphite rods, I can't speak highly enough about the nitro messiah or the nirto surf assasin for spinning off the rocks. Good warranty too. The messiah would be a great match to your new saltist too...

Can't help out on the glass rods though unfortunately, I don't own one :P