Botany Bay 10.4.10

jim bream

Hi Raiders

Not much fishing of late, but a close friend from Melbourne wanted me to take him out. Originally a Sydney boy, but never really liked fishing in botany bay and i told him botany bay is the place for bream. After reading a few posts with some fish still out there I said to him we will go early Saturday morning because i had other commitments during the day. We started the usual spots, the water was a lot warmer at the bottom of the bay, but it wasn't a big difference 1-1.5 degrees difference in water temperature. We worked hard to get 30 keepers which was 17 bream 13 whiting. About 8 tarwine which we threw back, and a lot of bream just under 25 cm and just on which we threw back. To my surprise there was a lot of whiting about, but after hitting the usual spots, the spot that produced the most fish was at the front of the novatel 500m out of the beach, which resulted in a mixture of bream and whiting. A very good day and still plenty of fish about.

Cheers

Jim Bream

post-6195-127088355182_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088355972_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088357003_thumb.jpg

post-6195-12708835766_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088358428_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088359511_thumb.jpg

post-6195-12708836046_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders

Not much fishing of late, but a close friend from Melbourne wanted me to take him out. Originally a Sydney boy, but never really liked fishing in botany bay and i told him botany bay is the place for bream. After reading a few posts with some fish still out there I said to him we will go early Saturday morning because i had other commitments during the day. We started the usual spots, the water was a lot warmer at the bottom of the bay, but it wasn't a big difference 1-1.5 degrees difference in water temperature. We worked hard to get 30 keepers which was 17 bream 13 whiting. About 8 tarwine which we threw back, and a lot of bream just under 25 cm and just on which we threw back. To my surprise there was a lot of whiting about, but after hitting the usual spots, the spot that produced the most fish was at the front of the novatel 500m out of the beach, which resulted in a mixture of bream and whiting. A very good day and still plenty of fish about.

Cheers

Jim Bream

post-6195-127088355182_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088355972_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088357003_thumb.jpg

post-6195-12708835766_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088358428_thumb.jpg

post-6195-127088359511_thumb.jpg

post-6195-12708836046_thumb.jpg

Yiassoo Jimmy,

Long time no hear from you.

It seems you're pretty busy, but as soon as someone twists your arm to go for a fish, you cave in to the pressure!

I would do just the same - in fact I have to twist my own arm usually, bcos I have no friends to go fishing with who can twist my arm...

That's a nice catch of bream and a big catch of whiting there too. Well done - your experience and ability certainly shows, when you're getting regular good catches...

I was out on Saturday as well and being alone, I can't match your numbers. Jeez I wish I could fish 6 rods !

I might have to consider cloning myself like Michael Keaton did in the movie "Multiplicity" - only problem is that my clone would be as dumb as Michael Keaton's last clone!

Then I really could talk to myself...

Anyway, I got 14 bream and only 3 whiting - but I spent my time trying to catch a really big bream on my shallow grounds.

I did manage one at 46cm and I left that spot after getting one - but rather than going into the details here, I might try and put up a post with some piccies....

It's been a while for me too.

Did you find the nippers did most of the damage or was it the worms or did both baits catch similar fish?

By the way, how deep is the water you're fishing in ?

Do you ever get any crabs there as well?

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hi Tony i did see you there in the bay on my way out at your usual spot i left at 8.00 because i ran out of nippers how do i no your boat well i wont say but i will say i told the groper you were out that morning any way i ran out of nippers long story to that pretty annoyed about it because my koubaro trying to tell i had enough nipper when i didn't he broke my balls all morning. we had 3 bags of worms and the nippers i fished 4m of water and under every were i went if i stayed to 11 o'clock the numbers would have being much larger the spot where you were fishing my mate got 49 fish from 6.00 to 12.00 21 whiting 24 bream and 4 trevelly. A lot of whiting in the bay at the moment i fished in front of the novatel for a change and it was very productive not to a real surprise not to mention my koubaro tied the hook wrong not once but 3 times and lost 3 large bream at the boat what a wombat he is . The tarwine are all ways found every time i go to kurnell but i don't keep them or the bream that land on 25 cm i don't see the point they seem to small . Were you were fishing haven't fished for a while but think you should move up little more easterly and you will do much better no crabs but were having a go at our lines the worms did the damage on the whiting cheers Jim bream.

Edited by Jim bream

where abouts in the bay were you i ran out of nippers too :( but we were chasing whiting and flathead so we moved a fair bit but after we got the flattys went back for bream my mate wanted some for dinner :) still action was fast where we went. you may of seen my boat around the bay 5.3mtr white allycraft runabout with the blue canopy and rocket launchers etc.. name Hooded Warrioron the bow section

thats awesome dude.

lucky you, I went out on sunday and fish around few hours and all I got is a few bream (just legal enough to keep).

am I doing something wrong ?? I was using nippers and had no luck beside the little snapper keep taking my bait and try the good old praws as well sme old thing.

where about you guys fish in botany bay ??

thanks heaps mate

wen

thats awesome dude.

lucky you, I went out on sunday and fish around few hours and all I got is a few bream (just legal enough to keep).

am I doing something wrong ?? I was using nippers and had no luck beside the little snapper keep taking my bait and try the good old praws as well sme old thing.

where about you guys fish in botany bay ??

thanks heaps mate

wen

WEN the fish are all through the bay , dont burly and you must have a 1.5 metre trace to stop the little fish hitting your baits

i fished towra kurnell and novatel small snapper i didn't encounter many at all but i usually move when theirs alot of them to more shallow water usually works well because they like the deeper water you may try longer trace and see if works i stick to the 50cm trace with some rods having a variation i do this on purpose to mix thing up a bit keep trying you'll get there.

WEN the fish are all through the bay , dont burly and you must have a 1.5 metre trace to stop the little fish hitting your baits

thanks heaps champ. I might try that next time..

PS : I am already using pretty long trace already... what sort of rig is better ??

Hi tony just added a picture for every one a every close mate caught these fish in the same spot you were fishing.

Jimmy - send me a PM - I have some info for you.

By the way, you didn't answer my previous PM...