Where To Go For Week Long Fishing Trip

roosterman

hi guys,

well as the title says,im looking at taking a week long fishing trip sometime in the next 6 mths or so as i have my long service due...

not sure weather to go up or down the coast or even what to target...

prob target kings/tuna etc.. not particulaly into bream/flatty fishing..

mrs has given the green light so want to make the most of this trip so if i wait a yr to do for right reasons then so be it...

im not rich so overseas trips are prob not gonna happen but not out all together..

i was thinking something like camping or even sleepin on boat etc and using my haines signature 530f to fish as much as possible..

not exactly sure of budget as i have only just been given the nod but 1k should get me started i think but again may change depending on trip..

ok guys fire away suggestions and especially good and bad on trips you have done also...

also if anyone wants to join up with me this is an option as well.

cheers....steve......

Mid North Coast of NSW during October and chase monster reds on plastics.

Maybe camp out at Broughton Island off Port Stephens and fish your way up the coast till you either find good fish or the budget runs out :)

Get up around Blue Haven/Laurieton area and you'll have a ball!

Greg

Hope you haven't gone off your blackies altogether, Steve!! :1yikes: I know you didn't mention fresh water, but .....

Gee, How about heading north?? I'd be checking out the Barra Action!! Pick Jewhunter's brain on where & how ...... specially if you can sleep in the boat & cut costs there!! Mind you - how many days would you want to sleep & eat on the boat!!?? I still reckon that blackies, if grown to the same size as Barra would give as good a fight, if not better!!

You'll have fun pouring over all the different ideas anyway! If you go for Barra, have a go for bass as well! Very exciting fishing! Cania Dam is good - I caught heaps there!!

Cheerio

Roberta

If you havent been to 1770 its a must. Long way to pull a boat but doable for a 2 weeker.

Set up a camp in pancake creek 10 miles north at Bustard head. Pull dead baits for spanish out the front. Little marlin out the front as well and pick your days to head out to the reef. Can you say mud crab. Bustard Head land based fishing for Macks, Longtail and GT. Fish a few spots on the way up and back.

Hi Steve ,

Fishing in June at Bermagui is always a good time for the tuna , Hopefully the southern bluefin will show up in numbers . Another location is Port Augusta fish the power station for Giant kings in august .

Both great spots if your looking at getting your arms stretched :thumbup: .

Cheers Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

If it was me my top 5 options in no particular order:

Freshwater

1) One of QLD's barra dams (as Roberta mentioned). I have never done this and want to.

2) Lake Mulwala - Murray Cod (remember season closed Sept, Oct & Nov)

Saltwater

3) Kangaroo Island (snapper and King George whiting)

4) Jervis Bay

5) Port Stephens

Some of the above require a fairly long haul dragging the boat so need to consider fuel costs. However all spots have camping/caravan park options that have pretty reasonable accomodation cost wise.

All good spots mentioned,1770,just up the road Lake Awoonga,ideal if staying onboard great fresh water Barra,

But if you don't want to travel,mid north coast is onfire,macks ,tuna, trag,snapper and next month the spaniards turn it on.

We have been going home early every time with bag limits.

What ever you choose ,good luck and enjoy.

cheers Rick.

g'day roosterman,

there are heaps of holiday houses that you can rent for a week for around $600 in most areas up and down the NSW coast so it puts it well within your 1k budget. take look at this website and get yourself into a bit of comfort mate. www.stayz.com.au

cheers,

kev

• 3 weeks later...

south west rocks ! 4hour drive from sydney !great spot

I second that one! there should be some good snapper and snook around grassy in july as well as jew along the breakwall and some very big tailor up around the 10lb mark lurking off the jail wall.

and a unit will only cost you about 300 - 350 a week! and there are a few around with ample parking for a boat.

there is also a great camping ground out near the jail if you prefer camping

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots