New Zealand Jigging Trip

tinnyman

Gday all,

Not long back from a jigging trip to the three kings New Zealand. Fished on a boat called enchanter and had an awesome time, many kings over 20kg

Biggest kingy was 38kg and biggest sea bass was 43kg. Both caught by yours truely. The luck went my way for a change.

P1010189.jpgP1010195.jpg

i havent caught kings over about 15kg in australia mate, so its hard to gauge. The New Zealand fish go bloody hard, and we still got smashed up on PE8 braid.

in years gone by we fished for kings in australia with 10kg, 15kg and 24kg gear and the kings seemed to go bloody hard and beat us up a bit. With todays tackle and heavy braid line i think we would have won alot more battles and knocked them over alot quicker.

All the fish over there are super fit and in great condition. Would love to know what that big king had been eating, but we released him to stretch some other anglers arms

Edited by tinnyman

they are great fish i was over in nz with 7 mates in feb, and we had a ball. we fished with slipray charters and a very well ran boat, we fished 5 days with over 300 kings on jigs sea bass and countless snapper on bait and plastic, but nothing that fat, but not far off, the biggest king we got was about 15kg and snapper about 6kg. the charter for us cost under 2k each from the time you walked out the front door at home till the time we got home and we all came home with 10kg of snapper fillets each and 6-8kg on the gut, the food on the boat was out of this world...

i havent caught kings over about 15kg in australia mate, so its hard to gauge. The New Zealand fish go bloody hard, and we still got smashed up on PE8 braid.

in years gone by we fished for kings in australia with 10kg, 15kg and 24kg gear and the kings seemed to go bloody hard and beat us up a bit. With todays tackle and heavy braid line i think we would have won alot more battles and knocked them over alot quicker.

All the fish over there are super fit and in great condition. Would love to know what that big king had been eating, but we released him to stretch some other anglers arms

One of my better mates fished over there and got fish to 38 in the boat and and a much larger sitting at the side of the boat on camera. He mentioned he thought they would have gone harder being double the size of Sydney fish. He has caught them big south Australian ones and said they went harder and were 10kgs less than the NZ ones.

When ya think 12-15kg ones that smoke us here maybe it's water depth???

MOst of our fish are all inshore and in less than 30m, what depth did youu guys jig?

G

gday all,

the outfit consists of a Jigging master PE5 reel, with daiwa saltiga pe8 braid. The rod is a Jigstar 350gram rod. Bloody awesome setup. The jig was a 400gram cheepy inblue green and gold,

The trace material is actially only 120lb fluorocarbon or 150lb jinkai plus. Cant remember which. Looks thick as in the photos for some reason.