Finally, My First Marlin!

mako1

Hit the water at about 6:30am and headed straight out.

The plan was to troll between the shelf and Browns for tuna and then have a few drops for blue eye.

The conditions weren’t the best. It was quite windy and the sea was very messy and there was the occasional shower that passed over.

A few kms from the shelf the lures went in and we began trolling to Browns.

Just as we were passing half way across the shelf drop I noticed that the shotgun lure was getting a bit of attention. I couldn’t see a bill and the splash was only small so I thought it was a striped tuna.

There were another three hits in the next few minutes that I thought were striped tuna too but on the fourth hit I got ready to grab the rod out of the rocket launcher. Line started to come off slowly and then the speed started to increase and I thought a nice tuna had taken the lure but just as I got the rod out of the rocket launcher the drag started screaming and I was losing a lot of line and fast. I turned to look out the back and I saw a beautiful striped marlin fully out of the water. It's was an awesome sight.

It continued taking line and jumping. I gave the rod to dad and he fought the fish while I cleared the four other rods. By the time I got the lines in we were into the backing and still losing line so dad gave me the rod and turned the boat and chased the marlin. After all of the jumps the marlin stayed down and we slowly chased it down and worked it to the surface. In about 25 minutes we had it at the boat and dad went to trace it but the marlin wasn’t ready and it took off again tail walking on the surface. We weren’t quick enough with the camera to get any shots of the marlin jumping plus the sea was quite messy which made it difficult getting a good shot.

The marlin then stayed down and it took another 20 minutes before we got it back to the boat.

I gave the rod to dad and I traced the marlin and then grabbed its bill.

Since this was my first marlin after many years of trying I decided to keep it so dad put a rope around its tail and we lifted it on board.

It was a great feeling finally getting one after quite a number of years trying to get one. We have hooked marlin before but we have never been able to bring one to the boat.

We were both really excited so we decided to call it a day and go home and celebrate :yahoo:

The lenght from the fork of the tail to the end of the lower jaw was 2.4m so going of the chart the fish would be around the 90KG mark.

Here are some pics

post-2229-127271248188_thumb.jpg

post-2229-127271249244_thumb.jpg

post-2229-127271250381_thumb.jpg

post-2229-127271251376_thumb.jpg

post-2229-127271252292_thumb.jpg

What a beauty Andrew thumbup.gifbiggrin2.gif1yikes.gif

The first marlin is always a memorable experience isn't it.

Make sure you whack that up in Catch of the Month comp please!

Cheers

Donna

Thanks Donna.

Definitely is a memorable experience.

Just posted it up in catch of the month.

Congratulations Andrew on one of the most memorable events you can have as a fisherman yahoo.gif

Well done to your and your Dad as all those great fish are a team effort.

Cant wait to catch up with you so you can re-tell the story over and over again.

Regards Stewy

Dad did a top job, as always, driving the boat and I wouldn't have been able to land

it without him.

I'm sure you'll hear the story quite a few times in Fiji :biggrin2:

congrats on finally bustin ya cherry :yahoo:

very nice fish and to do it with yr dad is priceless :thumbup:

how beautiful are they all lit up eh..

are you getting the head mounted ?

cheers.....steve....

Thanks Steve.

To be able to catch that marlin with dad and in our own boat makes

it an unforgettable experience.

I wish we could have got some more pics of the fish while it was in the water and

when it was jumping as it was just beautiful when lit up.

I kept the bill so I might get a head made up with the bill from this marlin.

Congrates mate. Orsm fish you deserve it. The water was sloppy yesterday we were out aswell but you must have had all the luck. Well done again, Now you can move on to the next species. lol

Cheers Benny.

Anakiwa/Bender..

Well done mate. That is a great report all round. Being your first

after all the time put in and to be able to share it with your

dad and on your own boat. That is a special moment. Congratulations.

Edited by blower

Thanks for all of the kind replies.

I'm still on a high from catching the marlin.

I keep thinking back to the moment when line was screaming

off the reel and then looking back and watching the marlin

tail walking on the surface. Just awesome!

What an awesome catch. I'll repeat the remark that it's quite a leap from pulling bream or trout from a kayak. Just shows what an accomplished angler you are :1worthy:

Closest I'll come to something with a bill is garfish in the bay! So funny because we've taken to calling them estuary marlin for the fun of it ...