Royal National Park Blackfishing

Centrepin

Firstly a little about where we fish.

We fish a couple of places about 1 hour walk from the car.

I have seen only one other person who fishes here for Blackfish

First spot is just the greatest Blackfishing spot you can imagine for the variety and abundance of weed.

post-10909-127291961295_thumb.jpg

Just have to walk to the spot and you berley with your feet breaking weed and sending it into the spot.

You get lots of bites and fish are very picky. Interesting fishing with changing weed types, leader length depending on tide and swell.

post-10909-127291962411_thumb.jpg

These rocks are low to the water and can’t fish unless swell < 1m.

Best 1 hour before high tide to 1 hour after.

1.2M <High Tide <1.8M.

Now swell on Sunday was > 1.0M so could not fish this spot.

We fished another headland to the south. This is much deeper water without the same access to abundant weed. Fish do not bite as freely but the downs are more definite and most times result in hookups.

Rock platform is much higher off the water and can be fished safely with swell up to 1.5M.

Caught up with the other guy who fishes the area and we fished for about 3 hours

Fish started biting at high tide and were slow but consistent.

Ended up keeping with 12 fish between us about 30 – 35 cm’s.

post-10909-127291963493_thumb.jpg

This was an average session for this spot but better than when it was last fished about 3 weeks ago.

Weather was lovely and enjoyed the day immensely.

Cheers,

Geoff

Nice report Centrepin. :thumbup:

Plenty of helpful hints & nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Well done on a nice bag of blackies. Looks like it's going to be a bumper season from all the early reports coming in!

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice report Centrepin. :thumbup:

Plenty of helpful hints & nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Well done on a nice bag of blackies. Looks like it's going to be a bumper season from all the early reports coming in!

Cheers,

Grant.

Beaut looking fish - walked from Otford to Garie and back the other weekend.. Some of the quieter rock platforms along there look great for a fish.

Great effort walking a few miles to a fishing spot. I remember I went fishing with Customcasting late last year and It was at least a 40min walk in. We both landed 20 odd fish and the walk out was hell. That's dedication.

Great looking blackies there mate, should be a good season.

Cheers

Top post mate!!!

I love fishing down there to mate, the Drummer and Blackfishing is the some of the best around Sydney.

Hows the walk down to your platform? Do you use wire ladders and ropes or can you get down with ease.

Easy to get to. Walk in not difficult. Send PM if interested and I can send more details or come along if we can arrange it.

Regards,

Geoff

OK Geoff,

Sorry for not emailing you I will do after this!.

Before I go home, although you offered me this trip plus Hawkesbury this Sunday - I am heading back to the "trenches" in Kanangra.

The BEST blackfish fishing I have ever had ( albeit Narrabeen with Luderick 59 ), was the platforms on North Head- yeah the ladders and chains are a bit intimidating, but my ex-lovely who is a chicken even came along as "net Girl)...LOL- Hope she doesnt read this!!!!!!.

Tides and seas are serious obstacles, but I have caught many massive fish there, and there is both weed and cabbage there.

I even have a number of scars ( like freddy kruger sliced me on my left buttock) - seriously- I was washed upland from the gutter by a rogue wave, and managed to hit barnacle city. You guys want the truth- I will "happily" take a shot of my L Buttock...LOL.

Anyway Geoff, I am emailing right now.

Say Hi to your new Frau.

Matt

Geoff,

used to fish the harbour from Gladesville to the Heads not many spots i did not know about! On the rocks fished from the National park up to Avoca! Spent the best part of 27 years cahsing them in Sydney with Dad till i moved over to NZ. Was back last March for a few days and found still had the knack got myself a dozen plus around Five Dock.

Never really chased anything but blackies! My arsenal was a 5 inch trudex and Sportex 3902 off the rocks and in the Harbour it was a 12ft sporrtex 663 or 10 foot bespoke split cane matched wit hone of my 16 cenrtepins usually my favourite an allcocks aerial! :beersmile:

Try the walk in to Burning Palms! Hey we go back country here in New Zealand for trout and takes you 5 - 6 hour to get to said rivers! an hour is a stroll! :1prop:

iv fished burning palms a few times & boy it is a walk alrite.the walk in is ok but goin back up,especially with a bag of fish,its a killer.but the fishing is usually worth it with great fishing,depending on what season,can get pelagics & great fish in the wash.always a mixed bag from BP.i reckon it should be called BURNING LEGS.your calves,thighs burn with pain & if your a smoker like myself,your lungs burn even more.lol.

btw,great blackies & nice pics too.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup: