Fishing The Tweed With Jewhunter

arpie

Hi all

Been off the air for the best part of a week - up Byron Bay way, for Keith to compete in the Byron Bay Triathlon - pretty well the best triathlon of the season, and also the last of the season!! There were about 1300 competitors in the race, including 130 teams.

post-2231-127353369975_thumb.jpg

On Sat, Keith finished ahead of more than 25% of the field & won his age group! The roar from the spectators when he was called up on stage to collect his medal was terrific!!

On Sunday, jewhunter/Grant picked me up at 6.30am and we returned to his home to pick up his boat! And what a beautie the boat is!! Very well planned layout & so easy to use - even I could use HIS leccie, I reckon!!

post-2231-127353314448_thumb.jpg

We headed up the river & tried for some bream, but the water was chocolate brown after heavy rain the evening before! Grant caught our only bream on a HB diver whilst I couldn't raise any interest in my favourite topwater sammy.

post-2231-127353324482_thumb.jpg

We went up to the weir & to see if any bass might have come over the wall in the heavy rainfall ..... for Zippo! :( It was a cast of thousands ..... we were determined to catch!! Alas, the fish gods had other plans! :wacko:

We had a call from Di saying that JJ was keen to have a go at some flatties and went to a favourite flattie area, and wouldn't you know it - JJ catches a very nice flattie (on an SP of his own choice!) that went 40cm!! :yahoo:

post-2231-12735334696_thumb.jpg

We continued peppering the shore (and the trees, in JJ's case!) It was very easy to see who he copies with his fishing technique! Not bad for a 6 year old!!! i began to fear the words "I feel a bite''! As usually, a fish followed!! One of JJ's flatties fell off at the boat. :(

post-2231-127353355461_thumb.jpg

The little fella was having a ball & never got bored!! He was getting his lure back from the trees, with only the occasional assistance from Dad!

post-2231-127353364461_thumb.jpg

Grant got into the action too, with another keeper flattie, but JJ held the record today of the biggest keeper!

post-2231-127353374103_thumb.jpg

On the way back we hit a little creek & had some savage hits that we thought may have been jacks, but couldn't convince them to jump onto the hooks! The water coming from the creek was the weirdest colour!!

post-2231-12735338225_thumb.jpg

The interloper (me) came home fishless - comprehensively outfished by a 6 year old!! :wacko: Give him a few more years, so watch out ET!!!

What a terrific day out on the water with a good buddy!! Many thanks Grant, for our time on the water & especially for picking me up & dropping me back at camp again! I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with Di & Luke again & look forward to seeing you & your family down in Forster some time!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Firstly, congratulations to Keith for another excellent result! :thumbup:

And that JJ is a champion too! What a top effort! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours Roberta - beautiful looking place, great conditions by the look of it, and some good friends to share it with. You might have been "fishless", but you are always a "winner".

Great report!

Cheers

Peter

PS Any idea what caused that weird colour in the water?

Congratulations to keith on yet another outstanding result. The accolades from the crowds was well deserved! :thumbup:

Great to see the young bloke doing so well. Good on ya JJ! :yahoo: Some terrific photos, Roberta. What a shame the fish weren't around in better numbers ... or that you didn't take JJ out earlier and leave Grant at home! ;)

Cheers

Ian

Well done to Keith on winning his group once again! :thumbup:

Sorry about the fishing Roberta. Out of the 3 options I had to fish that day I picked the worst one. :thumbdown::ranting2:

I'm very cranky at myself. We could have fished upstream of the weir & caught bass. Down near the mouth for anything where the bait is & I picked the crap part of the river to fish. It won't happen again!

I was hoping for a late season jack or early season jew & maybe some bass that ended up over the weir with the big rains early in the week & came up with nothing. :1badmood:

Lots of moving around & lots of casts.

However I really enjoyed the day with you & watching the young bloke outfish us in half the time we were on the water was just gold.

He's a freak with a rod & he has been rubbing it in since. :biggrin2: Little bugger!

Good luck this w/end.

We're all cheering you on.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Roberta,

Sounds like you had lots of fun up there with some of your friends. Wow that is certainly an awesome set up Grant has there and would be perfect for comps too.

Would have been good to see what was lurking beneath that interesting looking water in that pic. A Jack would have given you some stick.

Hope that weather forecast for forster is wrong. Windy conditions will certainly seperate the sheep from the goats.

And big congratulations to Keith, what an awesome effort.

Look forward to catching up on friday

Regards

Luke

Well done Keith... another fantastic result for all the dedication :thumbup:

Maybe not so fantastic results on the fishing front, Roberta but isn't the Tweed a beautiful place to fish. It's a bit hit and miss at the moment... kind of between seasons and with all the rain around, the water quality can be perfect one day and horrible the next.

Hopefully Keith will have an event up here over Summer and we can get out and chase some Jacks.

Great to see JJ doing his usual and outfishing everyone :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

No apologies needed, Grant! I had a great day on the water & the fact that a 6 year old beat both of us :1yikes: :1yikes: Just shows the fish were there, I just couldn't tempt them onto the hooks!!

AND, JJ had already caught a few fish from shore before he joined us ..... then got the biggest flattie on the boat ....... then went back to fishing from shore after he got back home & caught even MORE fish!!! That lad is a natural!! :yahoo::thumbup:

Hope you enjoyed your weekend at Byron, Tony - the Tweed sure is a magic spot! I am quite jealous! (Yes, that is coming from a person that lives in Forster!!!)

Bit cold here yesterday & today, Luke - big winds yesterday too - but not so much just now today. It will be cold on the water from tomorrow on, I reckon!! Doing my final preparations on line & leaders today!!

...but you have been out fished again! ... Yes, Rex - I'll just put it down to being on unfamiliar territory! :wacko::074:

Cheerio

Roberta

:biggrin2: Great read Roberta, congrats to Keith on his efforts in the triathlon. Sounds like you had a good time up there with the Jewhunter family, the little Jewhunter is doing really well for a kid his age, shame you didn't snavel and fishies but I'm sure there are some waiting for you back home... :thumbup:

Top report Roberta and my congratulations to Keith on yet another great marathon win and Roberta let Keith know that I wasn't quite out of breath last time we spoke I simply managed to swallow a fly that found its way into in my coffee half way thru our marathon telephone phone converation :thumbup: What a good hospitable bloke this Jewhunter is ay, everytime I've tried to call into Murwillimbah to catch up with Grant, the roads seemed to be closed off somewhere or other because of the rains...Roberta, I don't think Grant chose the wrong spot in the murky water at all and I'll tell you why- somewhere in the back of Grant's mind he really wanted to get you onto a few big jewfish and mangrove jack and somehow Grant just managed to be unlucky on the day in that respect, but the other fish made up for it tho as Grant's young bloke is improving all the time and looks to have the makings of a future tournament winner to me...

I really hope both Luderick Luke and yourself do exceptionally well in the grand final and this time, being the wild card in the field, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see you standing up on the winners platform Roberta!

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Grant can you book me in with JJ for a pre fish session before the grandfinal this year :biggrin2: ?

Good to see the young gun smacking a few flatties :thumbup:

Least you got out on the water and had a good time , my trim motor was just replaced so im back on the water this weekend after not getting out due to mothers day last weekend , im hangin for a fish. Cant remember how long it has been since I didn't fish at least 1 day in a weekend , must be over 6 months .

Bubba.