Jacket Plague

elite

Bagged out limit (20 pp) in 30 mins outside port hacking on saturday.

They are in plague proportions!!!!

Just imagine what the damage to our waters / other fish would be if they had mouths the size of a piranha...see good write up in the link below:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/a-piranha-like-plague-as-ravenous-swarms-of-leatherjackets-eat-all-they-can-see/story-e6freuzi-1225865248740

post-6537-127362651213_thumb.jpg

I wrote to the Fisheries Dept a few years ago about increasing the bag limit on that species of jacket, no reply received. You actually have to see them in action when they go into a feeding frenzy. I killed a few jackets and threw them overboard when the big schools gathered under the boat. You would not want to fall overboard because they are so vicious!

How did you manage to get so many??

Whenever Ive been out and the jackets are about they just bite through the line midwater - not even anywhere near the hooks, swivel or sinker

I just try to move away because they cost me too much line and tackle

what are your tips to catching the buggers instead?

those jackets are such a pest, I wish they could wipe them out just like they did to the rabbits

It's funny how some people think just because there are a lot of a certain species of fish they are a pest and deserve to be treated as such. Leatheries aren't introduced and have been around our coasts for a long time. They have an important role to play in the environment, as does every endemic fish. If something did manage to magically wipe out the leatheries the consequences could only be bad. They would be the cleaners of the sea, eating every bit of decaying or dead fish.

Fortunately I don't think anything will happen to them. If you don't like leatheries then don't go fishing, they have every right to be out there and if they're thick then fish somewhere else.

As for the occy, well that's nature. If you can't handle that then you need to take a look at the real world. Only the fittest survive.

Mate, just tease them up under the boat and you can just scoop them up with a net :biggrin2: , they won't be scared of the net in fact they will prob try to eat the bloody thing!! these fish are just crazy at the moment, and yes they are tasty to eat and easy to clean, so a bag out is not a bad thing but loosing gear is!! :ranting2:

It's funny how some people think just because there are a lot of a certain species of fish they are a pest and deserve to be treated as such. Leatheries aren't introduced and have been around our coasts for a long time. They have an important role to play in the environment, as does every endemic fish. If something did manage to magically wipe out the leatheries the consequences could only be bad. They would be the cleaners of the sea, eating every bit of decaying or dead fish.

Fortunately I don't think anything will happen to them. If you don't like leatheries then don't go fishing, they have every right to be out there and if they're thick then fish somewhere else.

As for the occy, well that's nature. If you can't handle that then you need to take a look at the real world. Only the fittest survive.

Mate I don't mind eating them infact there was three of us and we got 60 of them, they have to be controlled, a plague of them can clean the seafloors and destroy everything in there path and not just dead fish.

So dont go telling me to go fish elsewere and I do live in the real world mate, Ive hunted and fished all my life.

We humans always like to think that we can:

1. Declare the existence of a problem simply by making a relatively small number of observations

2. Decide that we have the knowledge and ability to fix this perceived problem.

The answer is that it's an enourmous ecosystem out there, governed by forces that we can't quantify, such that our observations can never be accurate, nor can our solutions ever be relevant or effective.

We see what we believe to be a plague in an area that we believe to be massive.

We see that the leatheries are capable of such destruction due to their abilities and their competitive nature to survive.

Perhaps our observations are indeed accurate and that this really IS a serious problem to us humans and the environment, but maybe it isn't... It's impossible to guage.

Do we have any photos of reefs that have been ravaged by leatheries? Is there any photos of such reefs that now show little sealife there after the razor gang has been through? If so, I'm more inclined to believe there is a problem and we can show the effects to the world. Have any swimmers been attacked by leatheries ? If so, then there would definately be a big push to catch them or somehow separate humans from leatheries, but do we seriously think we can make a dent in the population? We would have to trawl nets for them but that would cause damage as well. We can't win.

Personally, I would rather catch a kingie than a jacket, but I would rather eat a jacket than a kingie. I would also be in favour of removing bag limits on jackets - I love eating them...

I think we need to gather more evidence before we make any conclusions... It's a tough call...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Its not a hard choice, and for all you people that havent heard yet. Leatherjackets ARE good to eat,easy to catch,easy to clean.Taking the kids fishing has never been easier. So get out there. There have been so many times when I target something and it doesnt pay off. I simply turn up at the jacket grounds and 20 minutes later, Im off home with a feed. The wifes happy and that means more fishing .And less questions about the tackle shop

Edited by adjustedpete

Just my 2 cents worth............

It's a known fact that Yellowfin tuna eat baby jackets and green toads... these have been found in the gut of many yellowfin and marlin over the years....so much so, that it is known as a 'staple' food for these pelagics.

What happened to all of our inshore Yellowfin that used to get caught at locations like the Peak, 12 mile, etc etc????.................they got decimated by the longline/commercial fleet.......................what has happened to leatherjacket stocks in the last say....10-15years???.....yep you guessed it, exploded in numbers.

One theory is the decline of Yellowfin stocks has boosted the numbers of Jackets.

It's only natural.....if nothing is eating you....your not threatened and you flourish.

Wacko

Hi guys

Where can i catch good sized "jackets" in botany bay and surrounds ... gonna take the boat out on Sunday with some friends and help solve the problem. Maybe have a good bbq afterwards too if we manage to bag out on these guys

Edited by Dangas

Hi guys

Where can i catch good sized "jackets" in botany bay and surrounds ... gonna take the boat out on Sunday with some friends and help solve the problem. Maybe have a good bbq afterwards too if we manage to bag out on these guys

Hey Dangas, whats reef, and anywhere there is structure, close to breakwalls, but if you want those big pests, they are out wide. :thumbup: Edited by Groper

Hey Dangas, whats reef, and anywhere there is structure, close to breakwalls, but if you want those big pests, they are out wide. :thumbup:

Thanks Groper, might give Watts Reef a go and maybe around the container wall. But depends on the swell, reports say it might be a bit choppy and windy...

We humans always like to think that we can:

1. Declare the existence of a problem simply by making a relatively small number of observations

2. Decide that we have the knowledge and ability to fix this perceived problem.

The answer is that it's an enourmous ecosystem out there, governed by forces that we can't quantify, such that our observations can never be accurate, nor can our solutions ever be relevant or effective.

We see what we believe to be a plague in an area that we believe to be massive.

We see that the leatheries are capable of such destruction due to their abilities and their competitive nature to survive.

Perhaps our observations are indeed accurate and that this really IS a serious problem to us humans and the environment, but maybe it isn't... It's impossible to guage.

Do we have any photos of reefs that have been ravaged by leatheries? Is there any photos of such reefs that now show little sealife there after the razor gang has been through? If so, I'm more inclined to believe there is a problem and we can show the effects to the world. Have any swimmers been attacked by leatheries ? If so, then there would definately be a big push to catch them or somehow separate humans from leatheries, but do we seriously think we can make a dent in the population? We would have to trawl nets for them but that would cause damage as well. We can't win.

Personally, I would rather catch a kingie than a jacket, but I would rather eat a jacket than a kingie. I would also be in favour of removing bag limits on jackets - I love eating them...

I think we need to gather more evidence before we make any conclusions... It's a tough call...

Tony

trawlers have and do come across school of jackets during there day to day operation and belive me no twarler would want to take part of this ask the jackets make a compleat mess of the nets

only real comercail way to fish jackets is with fish traps and this is hard labour intensive work but seeing a fish trap full of jackets is a sight to be seen

normaly run around the traps 3-4 times for a full day so the traps having a 2-3hr soke

most of the time a few jackets are stripped down to the bones by the time the traps come up as they often eat each other

time between traps is used to cut the heads and guts out of the jackets size and box them into the fish boxes and down into the cold storage rady to be unloaded once back to the co-op

when they are one it is not uncommon to pull 1000kg of cleaned fish for the day and times that for the amount of boats doing it (no every pro boat does it)

they are one of the best marketable fish just bloody hard work