Nz Kings

Moro Mou

Hello Raiders,

I have just returned from NZ and despite the ordinary weather I had a fantastic trip. Hope you enjoy the report.

Tuesday

My mate and I arrived Auckland on Tuesday afternoon and after checking in at our hotel we made a dash for the tackle shop for those last minute "must have" items. The exchange rate was good so the blow was softened with our purchases.

I spoke to my NZ mate who organised the trip and the weather reports were terrible and there was a high chance the trip may not even happen.

Wednesday

We were picked us up, a little bleary eyed, at 830 and we commenced the 5 hour drive north with one of the other guys in our fishing crew. We took the scenic route and had a great lunch at Russel after a visit and tour or the Bay of Islands Swordfish Club. This area was made famous (to the game fisherman anyway) by Zane Grey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey#Fishing

A beer stop at Waitangi Game Fishing Club and a few yarns with some colourful characters who re confirmed that the wind would make things tough for our trip.

We arrived at Manganoui at 6pm, boarded the vessel (A 53 foot craft Powered by twin 500hp Yanmar diesel engines. Is capable of 24 knots although a cruising speed of 10-15 is more the norm) and met our skipper for the trip, and his two deck hands. The remaining 2 members of our team arrived at about 7 and then we received the good and bad news. The forecast was terrible (read as 30 knot + winds and 3 - 4 meter swells) but there was a chance we could get a window to fish the 3 kings. If this failed we would always have snapper off North Cape.

Dinner at the pub at Manganoui and we were bunked down by midnight.

Thursday

We set sail early am and once out of the harbour we knew this trip was not going to be for the faint hearted. I was a little worried about getting crook but fortunately survived. The weather report came in about lunch time and it was confirmed that we could have a shot at the 3 Kings area if we wanted. The decision was unanimous despite the conditions and we were all pretty pumped.

After lunch we received our first taste of fishing in NZ when we stopped for a quick jig off North Cape. Water depth was about 180 metres so jigging with 500 gram jigs was hard work. We hooked a couple but only one was boated of around 75cm and released.

We continued our journey north and when we dropped anchor at the 3 kings later that evening we were all relieved to have made it with all meals still inside us.

A few drinks and off to bed to be rocked gently to sleep by the swaying boat.

Friday

Our first solid day of fishing and it started well with the bait gathering session. We started burleying and the Koheru (cowenyoung) started to arrive .... along with 3 - 4 kg trevally and 60 to 80 cm kings! It was a race to get the Koies hooked before a trev or rat (by NZ standards) grabbed your bait, jig or soft plastic. I managed to boat a few kings (in the 65 - 85 cm range) and trevs each after fairly long battles on light gear. This was awesome fun and gave me a slight insight into the fun that lay ahead. Once we had about enough bait we became the slug to the king bank.

It was an interesting ride but when we were all lined up on the starboard side of the vessel with livies deployed for Marlin the weather was temporarily forgotten. The action was slow but on our 3rd drift I finally had a take and hooked up to something that chose to head towards the surface at high speed. I was expecting to see a Marlin burst through the water however the battle was short lived and when the chewed off leader was reeled in it was confirmed to be a mako and not a marlin. One of the ballooned livies was next to go but yet again he was bitten off after a short lived fight with another mako. As a result stumps were pulled and we moved to have a quick bottom bash in 200 m for bass and hapuka.

The bottom bash was reasonably successful and a few of the Kiwi boys kept some bass for the table. They were not huge fish but tasy eating. My Aussie mate caught the biggest at 22kgs.

The next stop was we came for, "big kings", and it wasn't long before we had rods buckled everywhere on both livies and jigs. We all had some fun boating some good fish but unfortunately lost the battle with others when we either pulled the hooks or the fish found the bottom and busted us off. The biggest fish boated was 129 cm to the fork. All kings were tagged and released.

This was a great session and the tough journey back to the anchor point at 3 kings did not dull the smiles.

Saturday

This was to be our last day fishing as the weather was getting worse and winds of 40 knots + were forecast to arrive on Sunday. Despite the conditions this day proved to be one of the best fishing sessions I have been part of.

From our anchor point we headed to the Princess Islands for a combined session on big kings, big snapper and big trevally. The interesting part for me was this was all available at the one location. You either sent livies to the bottom for kings, used plastics or bait on the bottom for snapper or worked plastics (or fly) mid water for trevally. I opted to first send a livey to the bottom for a king. However after about 15 minutes of seeing trevs and snapper hitting the deck made me think strongly about a change. Thankfully I persisted and shortly after my rod buckled and I was locked in battle with what proved to be my fish of the trip. When the 135 cm 23.5 kg fish came aboard my smile was impossible to remove. I managed another 118 cm to the fork before I swapped gear and had a crack at the trevally and snapper. I did not manage any snapper but certainly made friends with the trevs and had a ball on light gear winning most battles but also losing a few. Best for me was a 6.5 kg model.

We moved to one last spot but despite bagging a trev and getting tangled with a few sharks the deteriorating weather meant we had to pull stumps and commence our 8 hour haul back to North Cape. Now this was an experience and at times the movie "Perfect Storm" came to mind. Crashing waves caused by the swell and high gusty winds made this journey tough on all crew but more our skipper who had to navigate the boat. Being airborne in our bunks was funny at times but downright painful at others.

We all slept well that night even though the anchor pulled a few times because of the winds.

Sunday

Our final morning and we were braced for a repeat of the night before for our long journey back to Manganoui. In the end while the trip was far from pleasant it was nothing compared to the night before and we were relatively unscathed when we docked at 3pm.

Catch highlights for me as follows:

4 Kings over a metre all tagged and released bar 1. Lengths 1.05 to fork, 1.12 to fork, 1.18 to fork and 1.35 overall. Also managed about 6 – 7 trevally in the 5 – 6.5kg range.

A couple of pics.

post-8087-127363944152_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127363946054_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127363949673_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127363951618_thumb.jpg

That is what you call some fat kings... Nice effort mate that would have been allot of fun...

If only i could cast from my house to NZ... Hahaha

Edited by SquidKing Combo

Thanks for all your posts. I am still smiling.

tonyt - did my shoulder earlier in the year and finished physio a few weeks before the trip. Everything was in order thankfully.

Dogtooth - enjoy your trip and given you have already had great success in Australia with big kings i am expecting some rippers from you.

Welsh Dave - Russel is a great spot and i was often wishing for flat water . . .