Middle Harbour Snapper

zen801

Hi Raiders,

Went out this morning and fished all the usual spots in MH. Not much doing except for yakkas etc.

Got bored so headed out to Grotto point, Dobroyd and middle Head. Picked up a big cuttle fish but lost it due to idiot in an enormous cruiser almost swamping my boat. At Dobroyd got sharked. Know it was a shark because it went off and bit thru 60lb mono trace.

Stayed way too long as needed the head space - life can really stick it in sometimes. Achieved that and after picking up about 10 undersize flatties drifting decided to head home. Cruised back into MH and decided to give one last spot a go for 30 min. Had out 3 rods. One with pillie, one with live yakka and last one on 55lb braid and 35 lb mono with yakka fillet.

After getting the wind up from wifey cleaned up, brought up first two rods, kept cleaning up, almost finished, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz my rod with yakka fillet goes off. Took drag went on a mad run and at first thought i had a good keeper kingie, Fight goes on and i am now thinking this is a jew, another run and all i know is i got a good fish but i am not gonna call it.

Get it to the side of the boat and saw this 70cm snapper, started shaking, he was green and off he went again. Took me 4 attempts to net him. Pull him in and drop him out of net onto the floor of boat and he spits the hook out of his mouth ( thankyou God)

I think he is about 3kg - dunno!!! He was fat and healthy and a huge amount of meat has come out of him.

Dude day turns good on last bait of the day. Man i was blown out by this fish - awesome.

Cheers all.

post-2060-127468893626_thumb.jpg

post-2060-127468895468_thumb.jpg

post-2060-127468898036_thumb.jpg

What an excellent post and a great way to finish the day - congratulations :thumbup: . I would not have thought a snapper of that size would have been that far up the Harbour.

Yeah agree,

I have heard whisper and rumours for years that occasionally big ones are caught. I have always wonered why we have never got a really big one. Took me 12 years of fishing MH to come up with the goods.

I am still buzzed out and after i got it i was like shaking for an hour.

cheers

Cracker fish Mike,

Great stuff. :thumbup: That would be magnificent on the BBQ. Good on you for getting out. I reckon this week would be prime jewie time too with the full moon coming and a nice dose of fresh in the system.

Awesome red mate! welldone! Proves the point again, wild weather brings the big fish into the harbour, but in MH where you normally fish, that's definatly a 1/10yrs catch. Congrats

Louis

Hi louis,

Yeah its funny you say that (1/10yrs catch) because i totally agree and i said it to some one else earlier tonight. Morning fish and throughout the day today was very average but by late in the arvo it was starting to feel very fishy. Water was a bit stirred up with rubbish, weed drift wood etc. Water in places slightly discoloured with suspended particle matter. HMMMMM. Tide running in and sun setting. Tonight would have been a big chance for jews in MH.

Cheers

hey that jew is the wrong colour!!! and I thought i did well getting one 30cm last week!!!! oooHHHyeah!!!!!

AWESOME!

Did you get that at your jew spot mike or was it on a floating bait meant for a king?

who needs jew when you can catch big snapper .... In the words of rex mossop... IM FLABERGASTED!

pete

Man that's a cracker for inside the Harbour.

Well done on a great fish.

The water does look the goods at the moment. I think with the currents now pushing in close again things look promising with this bit of swell thats predicted. It should really get things fired up and get rid of the hot ball sitting just off Sydney.

With the Kings gone out of the Harbour and squid every where, goes to show what good bait can bring in when conditions are right.

Anyone remember seeing the pictures of massive reds caught at Sow and Pigs in the early 1900's printed in a fishing mag a few years back? Some of them had to give the metre mark a crack! :1yikes:

Greg

hey that jew is the wrong colour!!! and I thought i did well getting one 30cm last week!!!! oooHHHyeah!!!!!

AWESOME!

Did you get that at your jew spot mike or was it on a floating bait meant for a king?

who needs jew when you can catch big snapper .... In the words of rex mossop... IM FLABERGASTED!

pete

Hi Pete,

Yeah mate i was looking for silver over the side and got red. Mate it wasnt a jew spot but more of a kingie highway. It was the edge of a channel in about 40ft. Rig was a running sinker with leader about 50cm. The sinker was heavy as earlier i had a livie on this rig. I actually targeted jews seriously yesterday during daylight for the first time in ages as the last few months just been targeting kings. I thought i needed to lift my game with kings this season so put in the effort there. Got results but nothing huge. Mate if i was really serious i would be out there this arvo and hit the same spot/time etc then move over to target jews tonight. Problem is its wet and cold. Someone on FR should get a nice big jew if they get out there in MH or main Harbour over the next 2 days.

Hi Pete,

Yeah mate i was looking for silver over the side and got red. Mate it wasnt a jew spot but more of a kingie highway. It was the edge of a channel in about 40ft. Rig was a running sinker with leader about 50cm. The sinker was heavy as earlier i had a livie on this rig. I actually targeted jews seriously yesterday during daylight for the first time in ages as the last few months just been targeting kings. I thought i needed to lift my game with kings this season so put in the effort there. Got results but nothing huge. Mate if i was really serious i would be out there this arvo and hit the same spot/time etc then move over to target jews tonight. Problem is its wet and cold. Someone on FR should get a nice big jew if they get out there in MH or main Harbour over the next 2 days.

Mate

you need to harden up,havent you the canopy now - suck it up and get out there :074: you have just proved and wittnessed first hand what a change in conditions can produce.

Twin 1

Edited by twin1

Mate

you need to harden up,havent you the canopy now - suck it up and get out there :074: you have just proved and wittnessed first hand what a change in conditions can produce.

Twin 1

Hi Marcel,

Its funny you say that as my other mate says the same. Yeah i got a roof now so the only other excuse i got is i am almost 50 and that is also a lame excuse :thumbup:

Cheers