Hot Blackfish Session

rickster

After managing to get some weed Saturday morning off the rocks, my mate Steve and I decided to hit the harbour around Pyrmont for a fish in the arvo. Steve got there a bit earlier than I did, he'd had a few downs but only 1 in the bag. I joined him around 12.30pm and after pumping the burley into, the action soon started. Over the next few hours the fishing was constant. I reckon that the longest we went without getting downs was about 15-20 minutes. We packed up and left them still biting around 4.00pm. By this time we had two swimmers fairly full of good solid blackies. Ended up with 25 in total plus a few dropped pretending to be Popeyes and trying to lift them rather than netting. Steve beat me again :ranting2: nothing unusual there, but there's always the luderick challenge. Wait, I just remembered. Apparently some unknown person has sent Steves wife an invitation to a bogus wedding, to which she accepted almost immediately. Who would do such a thing????? Your guess is as good as mine. By my reckoning, by the time he realises that he's been had, we'll all be swapping yarns about our exploits. Headed back to the same spot on Sunday and arranged for marley (Gav) and his dad Dan to join us. Nowhere nearly as thick as they were the day before but between about 6 of us we still managed over 20 fish plus had a lot of laughs. A bit disappointed in the weather though because it actually stopped drizzling for about 10 minutes :badmood: . Enclosed photo of Saturdays catch.

Cheers

Rick

post-11436-127474255398_thumb.jpg

Very impressive. Could I bother you two question;

1) What weight leader did you use?

2) What was the length from the float?

3) What bait did you use?

I usually target snapper and kings from boat around the heads etc, however, taken a likeing to city fishing!

Thanks for your kind input mentor

Craig

Very impressive. Could I bother you two question;

1) What weight leader did you use?

2) What was the length from the float?

3) What bait did you use?

I usually target snapper and kings from boat around the heads etc, however, taken a likeing to city fishing!

Thanks for your kind input mentor

Craig

Hi Craig,

The rig is fairly simple but also fairly important.

First you obviously use a running float. Under the float I have my first swivel but NO lead. Then a bit more of your main line of approx.350mm with a sufficient barrel sinker running down to a second swivel. This help as you flick out as the weight of the barrel sinker goes out first and causes less tangles. Then a leader of about 2kg, flourocarbon is a must. We use green weed from the rocks as hard to find in normal places at the moment, but also did get a couple on saturday on the cabbage.

Hope this helps,

Rick

The other good thing about that rig is that if the Surgeons are around and they bust you up, you can normally salvage your float as they only take your rig from the swivel which is holding the barrel sinker. Would you agree with this Rick?

I have only fished still water a few times for the blackies and I am picking up a little more each trip out - it is very different from fishing for them where you have a "drift"

Thanks for the day out Rick - hopefully the next time around we can order some sunshine

Gav

The other good thing about that rig is that if the Surgeons are around and they bust you up, you can normally salvage your float as they only take your rig from the swivel which is holding the barrel sinker. Would you agree with this Rick?

I have only fished still water a few times for the blackies and I am picking up a little more each trip out - it is very different from fishing for them where you have a "drift"

Thanks for the day out Rick - hopefully the next time around we can order some sunshine

Gav

That's probably what should happen every time but I've still had to net floats out of the harbour. On that, that's why I was so suprised the time Cremorne Wharf sank. I reckon it had enough floats underneath it to stay afloat forever and that's just with Royces, his dads and mine!

Geez Rick, you're just about 'un-backable' for the Great Blackie Challenge as it is! :biggrin2: Yet another impressive haul of quality blackies :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Not even slightly concerned about who gets the most fish. Were probably only having some good days because these are spots we've fished a fair bit and know them so well. Just wanna have a fun day, lots of laughs and a chance to meet other raiders. I think the hardest part will be getting the weed but happy to share some if I can find enough.

Rick

Well done Rick! Top fishing sessions!!! Gee they are fun, eh? Nothing like poling them in, every cast!! When are you coming up to Forster to try & tempt our 50cm+ specimens? I see them all the time hanging around the lease poles!! :biggrin2: Very difficult to tempt onto a line, let alone land, tho!! :1yikes:

Cheerio

Roberta

I must get into it again soon! They are running on the wall just now - jewies too!

Great to see you doing well.

Sea has been to big to get out to usual rock spots, this weekend does not look any better.

Weed is hard and unpredictable at the moment.

Looks like you having fun.

Centrepin