Weed, (Lack Of).

justinp

Hi folks, has anyone else noticed the decline over the last three years of quality weed growing in and around the parra river area, I started blackie fishing three years ago and quite often would just leave home rod and bucket in hand knowing that where I will be going will have enough weed to have a session or two, then over the last few years the weed is getting more and more scarce, Im a gladesville local so I dont see the point of driving all the way north to locate weed or cabbage off the rocks and then coming back to fish my favourite locations, and the weed from the platforms does not always work in the rivers no matter how hard you berley, seems to me there is a supply of good weed somewhere, so today having a bit of time off work decided to go foraging, I went to every location that has produced for me in the past but alas no luck, hardly enough for even a bait or two, so Id like to know what others are doing in this regard are you travelling further afar to locate weed, Im not after your spots, (unless of course you decide to divulge that information freely :074: )cheers one frustrated fisho.

I can remember when Rhodes park in Brays bay used to have acres of weed growing in it...just used to walk along and pick it up at low tide. I haven't been there for years but it might be worth a look.

If all else fails you can use freshwater weed. I've caught fish in your area using weed collected from creeks in western Sydney....you still might need to travel to get it though.

Cheers,

Smitty...

Unfortunately councils are spraying and killing off a lot of the weed at many locations. With more people around these days doing their nature thing and exploring their wonderful water ways.,'I am afraid councils are receiving complaints about the grimy weed growing in their nature wonderlands.

So when you go to your favourite spots to grab your weed don.t be surprised to find that the local council has responded to a resident or greenies complaint.

Cheers BARTranting2.gif

P.S

Re Justin P comment about divulging our favourite spots for weed. It is frustrating to watch some people turn up and wipe out the weed .If they would just take enough for their days outing it would be great.That is the main reason fellow fisho's keep their spots to themselves.

Cheers again'ranting2.gif

BART

Edited by bart

don't really know the area you speak of, but over the years Ive noticed no growth at all to massive growths ! more of a local conditions thing in estuarine systems then anything else in my opinion! that's why i always hit the ocean rocks for good weed then take it to the river, once you find a good stop i rarely share as it will be stripped with in days!!! good luck phill

Evening all,

When I was a kid and fished with Dad, he used to be able to get from Wharf Rd at Rydalmere. Not a chance these days.

I'm on the road everyday with work and am always on the lookout for some green weed, but I gotta tell you it's hard to find. Being west based for work doesn't help!!

Last outing I got a mates mate to grab me some from down Woolongong way and even then he said it was sparse.

If you've got a spot hang onto it, it's like gold these days.

Cheers Jed. :biggrin2:

HI ALL

I have been looking for weeks from south of Coledale to Bondi & west to Bankstown with only enough weed for one session so Victor may be you would like to point us in

the direction of a little .I have found this year to be harder for weed than the past few years so any help would be grateful .

Regards Bob

HI ALL

I have been looking for weeks from south of Coledale to Bondi & west to Bankstown with only enough weed for one session so Victor may be you would like to point us in

the direction of a little .I have found this year to be harder for weed than the past few years so any help would be grateful .

Regards Bob

No offence Bob but sorry mate i aint gonna say where my weed spots are on a public site or even pm them to you as certain ppl still can read them. Its worth more then gold to me. But the thing i will say is look out of the circle and be prepared to get dirty to get it. Even brown weed works well as long as you berely with it

No offence Bob but sorry mate i aint gonna say where my weed spots are on a public site or even pm them to you as certain ppl still can read them. Its worth more then gold to me. But the thing i will say is look out of the circle and be prepared to get dirty to get it. Even brown weed works well as long as you berely with it

I would like to know who the "certain people who can read them" are ranting2.gif .

If you are referring to the integrity of myself or swordie then you can shove it where the sun don't shine. Keep your weed comments to yourself if it means that much to you.

We might even organise a guided bus tour to all the weed spots from Tweed Heads to Green Cape (including Nimbin) thumbup.gif The cost will be a lazy million bucks because its GOLD, GOLD, GOLD 074.gif

Seriously, as jew chaser says go to the ocean and look at dead low on the rock platform to find patches of weed.

mrsswordie

Exactly right about the rocks. It's called exploring. Once you find an area where it does grow, feel confident that it will grow there on a regular basis, big seas permitting. This time of the year is best and by the way, it loves rain so should be like carpet in certain places in the next couple of weeks. It's all we're using at the moment and getting fish all the way up to Gladesville on it. I think the biggest problem with weed trying to grow up the parra river is the bloody river cats. Watch what happens to the shoreline as one of those goes past.

Rick

I think people are getting a bit carried away here, yes we all know exploring is the way to go, nobody is after other peoples spots, I was just commenting about the lack of weed and possible causes in the last few years espescially in the parra, which used to produce some of the best weed available, I was only after other peoples thoughts and opinions, not starting a war over who has the best or who knows where to find it, we all know how to find weed it just seems to be getting harder, cheers Justin.

Gday Justin

Went looking the other day to and nothing.....

The rocks that uusally has it was under 3ft of white water, the "other" rocks the rain had washed it out and was scattered all over the rocks just under the road down. To much work to sort the decent stuff.

Heaps is starting to grow there and the rain and salty swells should get it kicking along over the next couple of weeks.

G

Gday Justin

Went looking the other day to and nothing.....

The rocks that uusally has it was under 3ft of white water, the "other" rocks the rain had washed it out and was scattered all over the rocks just under the road down. To much work to sort the decent stuff.

Heaps is starting to grow there and the rain and salty swells should get it kicking along over the next couple of weeks.

G

Thats the stuff I used the other week with no success, burleyed hard with it as well, need to find some of that good stuff again eh.

Long bay has it on both sides of the bay, the rocks at kurnell are covered in the stuff, The rocks around Cronulla, shark island to shelly beach are also covered in it. The further your prepared to walk the more there is....

Any fresh water drain meeting salt water is also worth a look, even found great weed in open storm water drains....

Certainly not a lack of it?

Certainly not a lack of it?

Was referring to the Parra river area mainly and the nuisance of having to travel compared with 3-4 yrs ago.

Yeh I know where your coming from, Councils have screwed it up mate, they spray all my local creeks now. Takes me nearly 2hours return trip for a good weed source for me.

Sometimes i dont mind the travel and a litle bit of exploring, found plenty of good areas for a fish that way too...

Sorry was'nt having a crack at you with the(certainly not a lack of it), but was just giving you a couple areas where i know it is abundance