My First Kingy

stricko4

Hi Guys I started fishing about 3 years ago. Not long after I started venturing down to some of the harbours LB spots after work on Friday arvo’s. On my first visit to Clifton it was mid summer & packed out. I did meet 2 blokes though that were quite helpful & friendly. Since that day we have shared a friendship & fishing exploits and yesterday it was with the help of those 2 mates I managed to land my first kingy. Typical of many guys fishing these areas I’ve hooked my fair share but have been busted off one way or another. Well yesterday after seeing Justin lose 3 good fish around the pylons I hooked a very nice fish indeed. Instantly we knew it was a kingy & a damn good one too. Justin & Mike pulled in lines left & right to give me my best chance possible to land that holy grace of Sydney Harbour. My braid tangles twice before we could get all the lines in & these mates didn’t think twice, cutting their lines in the hope that I could land what I’d waited so long for. For a kingy it was a pretty clean fight his first couple of strong runs he heading straight out …. You beauty. After probably 10 minutes & 2 missed net shots I eventually pointed his head into the net only to see it wasn’t big enough to safely lift the exhausted fish up onto the deck. Another net instantly appeared to cover the arse end of this whopper & with the help of my 2 mates he was lifted clear of the water & deposited onto the jetty. Hi 5’s & woo hooo’s were the order of the day. We all knew this was a good fish & when I finally found a tape he went 91cm. Now that’s what I call a great first kingy & I couldn’t have done it without the help of those 2 mates I met 3 years ago.

Tackle used was:

Rod – Nitro Magnum Butt 7’6”

Reel – Okuma patriot bait runner 3000

Line – 15lb Suffix braid with jinkai 40lb fluro leader

Bait – live garfish (thanks Mike)

post-2119-127630397762_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingys what kingys?

Congrats mate, you must be very happy. Good effort landing that size kingy on 15lb. You cant count yourself very lucky indeed... most people first kingys are usually rats. Cant wait to see the pic.

great fish mate well done landing that sucker from a wharf, i know how dirty and hard these fish fight and you are one lucky man to land that on 15lb gear around the pylons. good onya buddy and il bet now your hanging for more kingies, a 91cm might take a while to beat.

Great effort mate. As others have said even more so on 15lb line. I have seen plenty of smaller Kings than yours lost on much heavier tackle!

Sounds like there are a few bigger models around at the moment - maybe you will beat your PB quicker than most people think, although i would suggest that you upgrade you line and leader significantly, as 9 times out of 10 you probably wouldn't have landed the one you got.

Good luck!

SWEET!

Thats one helluva kingie for LB, puts may people I know who catch em regularly to shame

Funny my mate landed an 82cm one from Parra River earlier this year on 10lb mainline with 12lb leader, same setup as you got only he was using 2-4kg bream gear, and he nearly got spooled on the 4 runs it took.

NO WONDER YOU ARE STOKED!- I would be too :yahoo:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great fish there mate. Any chance you can let us know how you rigged out the garfish as a live bait? Is it similar to the way you rig up a yellow tail? Hook thorugh the mouth of the fish or a hook just in front of the dorsal fin?

Thanks

Anthony