Braid Air Knots! Thinking Of Going Back To Mono

hooklineandsinker

hey raiders

well on my past few outings of tossing lures off the stones one of which was today wind was blowing quite a bit i got an air knot the braid is rovex varios braid its not stiff like some other braids but i get an air knot at least once an outing todays was about 15 metres from the leader

the rod is a penn big game surf 10 footer , reel is saltist 4500 i doubt its the rod or reel unless the line is not rifling though the guides correctly as the rod has 6 guides including the tip im thinking its could be the braid but its brand new its 30lb by the way im seriously thinking of trying a high end mono line

also i use a slim beauty as my leader knot

any thought raiders

cheers mick

G'day Mick. There are a couple of things that might be causing the problem.

Before you give up on braid, it might be because your spool is over-full. Make sure you've got at least 2-3mm clearance from the top of the spool and if not maybe strip a bit of line off. The knots are caused by loose loops of line coming off the spool and it's more likely when the spool is too full.

Also, try winding the line back on under a little pressure periodically just holding it between your fingers after your cast. If it's only happening once an outing, maybe do it once every half hour. Loosly wrapped braid is also often the culprit.

Good luck. Slinky

When this is happening it is often because the angler is winding on a loop or bit of loose line , this usually happens when winding up the slack just after your cast has landed , the small loop will be wound on and then you are winding the rest of your line over it , then next time you cast as the line comes of the spool it grabs that loop and you know have 3 strands of braid coming off your reel at once . Loose line being wound on can have a similar effect , usually a couple feet of loose line will come off the spool all at once and tangel as it leaves the spool instead of coming off in single wraps.

Do what slinky said , grab your line and put a little tension on it as you start to retreive your slack , and this should all but eliminate your problem .

Good luck and don't give up on the braid just yet .

Edited by Dan BUBBA Frost

I concur with the guys on this one.

I used to get heaps of knots but as soon as I stripped some line off the spool, all came good. Well I didn't actually strip it off, a few of the knots were un-doable so I had to cut them out. I now leave about 3 to 4mm gap when spooling up new braid.

i'll definitely give the line some tension periodically before retrieving im quite sure my spool has the correct amount on line on it but heres a pic any how (note) theres 60lb jinki leader on there too

post-9942-127771269425_thumb.jpg

and thanks heaps fellas for your quick replies

cheers mick

Edited by hooklineandsinker

when casting with braid and weigths over 50 grams you have a few other reason that wind knots occur ,the 2 main reason are hitting the cast late ,this means that you are trying to hard late in the cast ,keep the cast smoth . the other one that comes in to play is the way the line shots thru the guides ,there is a point on your rod that is chocking your cast ,this is where the line is sloowed down as it trys to get thru the guides ,with weight still pulling hard at the beging of the cast the loops are coming of the spool to fast to get thru the guide .this is where the wind knot comes from as a loop catchs the guide as it trys to get thru the guide , one other that dose make things worst is with the saltis is that the roller on the bail arm sticks abit if not mantained ,this will put more line twist ,2 hours spinning heaps of twist plenty of wind knots .

56 grams in full flight

URL=http://img155.imageshack.us/i/leigh1.jpg/]leigh1.jpg[/url]

havent had fireline braid long myself but i reckon it may be preventative of knots to pull out 70ish metres and wind it back in between thumb and finger hoplding with as much pressure as possible to get line twist out.untwistind moo or fluro line can be a common occurence as well as braid for me when winding spinning baits in when not getting fish to take them.who didnt get knots in the days before braid? i used to with mono.still do.

fireline braid is flatter rather than round and if i look in the light i can see the twists easily so check it out,a lot of the bottom priced range braids are flat too.oh and while im winding it back in i run it through a weight in a bucket of fresh water when at home as taking the salt off while not using it lengthens its life.

stripping it on the beach or running it out of the boat while moving saves time....against a big knot..., as well as line and prevents frustration.i often adjust placement of my soft plastics to prevent soft plastics from spinning as all the cast and retrieving create a big twist and knot and they do spin until adjusted every time.also hard bodies dont always crank straight.i keep an eye on that too.

this is number one aspect of knots for me,and proven to me,as twist of spinning bait was the first lesson i learned versus knots.i respect what others have said here but my routine takes all of my head space and spare fishing time as its been kind to me.

when casting with braid and weigths over 50 grams you have a few other reason that wind knots occur ,the 2 main reason are hitting the cast late ,this means that you are trying to hard late in the cast ,keep the cast smoth . the other one that comes in to play is the way the line shots thru the guides ,there is a point on your rod that is chocking your cast ,this is where the line is sloowed down as it trys to get thru the guides ,with weight still pulling hard at the beging of the cast the loops are coming of the spool to fast to get thru the guide .this is where the wind knot comes from as a loop catchs the guide as it trys to get thru the guide , one other that dose make things worst is with the saltis is that the roller on the bail arm sticks abit if not mantained ,this will put more line twist ,2 hours spinning heaps of twist plenty of wind knots .

56 grams in full flight

URL=http://img155.imageshack.us/i/leigh1.jpg/]leigh1.jpg[/url]

yeh the line roller on saltist the bearing /bushing is just plastic they should have had the decency to install a ball bearing for the price that they go for the one extra bearing would cost to diawa what about a $2 installed really disappointed when i opened it up

also i was casting 80 grams too the line had got caught on the guides now and again but im tieing a slim beauty on the leader which is small

i will take on board all comments and preventative measures and look at that video thanks fellas

cheers mick

Edited by hooklineandsinker