My First Southern Bluefin Tuna

Croydon

Hi folks,

Well after a few very uneventful trips lately we decided to head out yesterday on a mate's 40ft Blackwatch and see if we could locate some of the Bluefin that have been turning up around Bermagui. We left 7.30am from Batemans Bay and headed for Tuross Canyons. The water was around 19 degrees and looking good. As the day went on the weather just got better and better.

post-4525-127837281052_thumb.jpg

We trolled a spread of lures south east until we ended up in over 1000 fathoms between Tuross and Narooma. We'd come across a number of long lines in the water and just after lunch, we trolled past one of them, when the short rigger goes off. It had a 7" pink skirted lure on and just got smashed. The 37kg shimano started to scream and then the long corner goes off. There was a small JB dingo in a saurie pattern on that one and it also got smashed. Double hook up, you beauty. With only 3 on board and 6 lines in the water, it was madness but a hell of a lot of fun.

I was the smart one, grabbed the rod on the right rigger and jumped in the chair. My poor mate had to man handle the 37kg bent butt rod without a chair or gimball. Lucky he's a big boy. After a fantastic 20 minute fight and a few screaming runs, both fish hit the deck and to say the boys were happy is an understatement. Check these out...

post-4525-127837327328_thumb.jpg

My first Bluefin and I was loving it.

post-4525-127837335098_thumb.jpg

post-4525-127837336666_thumb.jpg

After clearing the decks, cleaning the mess and setting the lures we headed back to try and find the school. But as luck would have it we just couldn't find them. To tell the truth I wasn't too worried, we'd had a ball and more than enough fish for a massive family/friends feast. On heading home we got the guys to open the weigh station and put them on the lie detector. We'd called them for around 60kg but we were wrong. Just!

Mine went 53.9Kg..........

post-4525-127837354318_thumb.jpg

My mates was a paltry 48.6Kg (just kidding)

post-4525-127837355712_thumb.jpg

What a fantastic day and a fantastic first. Looks like the fish are heading north from Bermi and I can't wait to get back out there.......

Dave

Nice work Dave ! Good to see Blocker getting onto a fish as well !

Yeah we had a good day, I think Blocka was pretty stoked. Not happy about missing out on the chair though. His manhood will be a little sore for a while..........

As for their fight, I thought they went pretty well and seeing as I've never caught a yellowfin I don't have much to compare it to!! Hope this changes soon.

Dave

good work there fellas definatly a good day out there and good fish

as well better than sitting at the office oozing at the mouth over the photos

ive caught all species of tuna and i think dogtooth definately the hardest fight

with yellowfin coming a close second.

Congrats on the 1st & p.b SBT Dave. :yahoo:

It would have been mayhem for sure with the double hookup.

They are both very nice fish & a great reward for your efforts.

Hope you crack your big y/fin as well soon.

Cheers,

Grant.

awsome report sounds like u guys had a ball could imagine the mayhem of pulln the lines in and hoping the fish are still on.. well done on the 2x keg blue fin only a fish i could dream of catching! :thumbup:

48kg SBT on 37kg bent butt stand up with no gimble i hope he wasnt planning on having kids some time soon,top effort.

Yes lucky Blocka is such a big bugger!! Glad I jumped in the chair.......

For those heading down, there have been some consistent reports coming in from Bermagui, out past the northern and southern sea mounts. The day we fished we heard a guy on the radio who was cubing south of the southern sea mount, he hooked 3 fish for the day and at one stage said he had about 300 fish under his boat! Not sure if this is a little fishermans lie or just a bloody great day, who knows. All fish have been caught a long way out so take care and good luck..........

Dave

Dogtooth are not actually a Tuna, more like a giant bonito so you can't really make a direct comparison with the Tuna family.

good work there fellas definatly a good day out there and good fish

as well better than sitting at the office oozing at the mouth over the photos

ive caught all species of tuna and i think dogtooth definately the hardest fight

with yellowfin coming a close second.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...