Bull Sharks

brettmann86

Hey raiders,

as some of you know i love my LB shark fishing.. it's a bit out of season but still can be productive if you put the work in..

just curious if anyone's had any recent reports of bulls still being in the parra river, wouldn't mind giving them a crack got a couple budding young shark fisho's that wanna have a winter sesh and just thought it might be bout time to see where if anywhere they're hiding... anyone heard where they are or know of any spots up there that pose a better than none chance??

i know a few were hiding round banjo patterson reserve and there's been sparce reports of occasional encounters just wanna get a feel so i can get the newbies in the thick of the action and try show them that estuary sharking is different than beaching them....

cheers in advance fella's tight lines

Hi mate.

I would give clarks pt a go my dad go's down there fishing for jews and he has been bitten clean off on 60lb leader the last 2 weekends in a row.berly hard and fish heavy u might be in with a chance. Hope that helps.

Ben

Thanks ben,

fishing heavy isn't a worry..

got a 24kg light game rod matched with a penn senator reel with 500yds of 80lb mono fixed to a purpose built steel trace which is 2m long with 500lb test 49strand steel cable with 2x 12/0 hooks usually use a whole dead mullet for bait fixed under a balloon.... might go give it a crack on saturday night.. see if i can't put some light on whats been stealing your dads rigs!!

good luck with the bulls in the river champ wouldnt mind joining u if u

need a deckie with experience ive been fishing for jew on the boat around the

abbotsford channel near cabbarita last 3 nights hookd a bull on the first night on 10kg

playd him 4 a about 5 mins and he popped me my mate got close the same night further down

the river they seem to b around. good luck

Hey Brett, send me a PM on where you heading I might stop by for a few hours Sat night and drop a live with ya for a Jew, not sure though as my Mrs and both kids are sick as dogs ATM but hopefully I can get out Friday nite for a Bream stomp and trap some poddy's keep em alive overnight till saturday.

I'll bring the Jew gear with me and some Bream gears just in case its lookin like donut time- I'll be heading back up Broken Bay next weekend after new moon so you should some with see if we can berley up a monster- they are still around I know a few lads have been SMOKED on light gear chasing Taylor and Sambo's off the beach and I know you love some sand action.

Rather than talk about it lets make it happen Im keen as but I must admit Im a little undergunned, but thats half the fun, lol

Chat lets this week mate

Anthony

:)

Hey guys,

whether i go out this weekend will be definately dependant on the weather and if the missus will let me out to play.. and i always take out the spin gear with me as i'm sure most sharks are female cause they're always fashionably late to the party but always make a grand entrance!!

anthony i am shooting you over a PM now. hopefully we'll set something up soon,

as for spots at the moment i was asking about the bulls cause they are one hell of a worthy opponent and some of the bigger models pushing 300kg's, around banjo patterson reserve from all the available info i can gather they are in that general area a fair bit, i'm very keen to get in there and see what can be bought up..

as i said guys any info of them up the river is appreciated.

check out this link

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/336320/Sydneys-bull-shark-secrets-on-show.pdf

A few things in articles on the net.

-By now you would have heard that the Parramatta River is becoming a Mecca for hungry sharks. Concord and Ryde Sailing Club, in the upper reaches of the Parramatta River, has been gripped by shark fever following the recent attack on a kayaker not far from our course area. As Moth Class Captain of CRSC, I offer the following - so rest easy.

-BULL sharks regularly leave Sydney Harbour to take quick tours of the city's famed Eastern Suburbs beaches, a tagging program unlocking the secret life of the feared predators has revealed.

-A 35-year-old man has had a harrowing encounter with a shark while paddling a kayak in the habor waters just a few kilometers west of downtown Sydney. The man was in in his kayak Thursday evening near the Cabarita Marina in the Parramatta River when the shark struck. He was thrown into the water by the impact and then hit in the chest by the shark, which then began circling him as he swam for help.

-They would then often vanish, presumably staying well out to sea, before another quick return voyage along the Eastern Suburbs and back to the Harbour.They can swim long distances quickly, with a 2.5m specimen detected off South West Rocks on the state's Mid-North Coast on January 20 this year swimming back to Sydney - a distance of about 500km - in just four days.

Seems like around there are a few around every now and again which dont stay in the one place very long. As long as your persistent and do the right things I am sure you will eventually get one but it seems like they move around alot so it may take a few outings to catch one. I am guessing that around ryde and Cabarita would be good as there are plenty of mullet around at the moment in the upper reaches of parra river and I am sure that would bring some traffic up and down the river. Good luck.

Mate the Piers on the west side of the bridge are loaded with them, one problem is landing them though, so unless u can find a way to lift them 2m up i would try around the cooks river ;)

Cheers,

SL,

Got a call from a mate fishing cabarita wharf early hours of this morning who got absolutely smoked on his Jew gear got spooled in a minute flat plus a bent eye on his rod so I'll take that as a bull, so they are deffinately there keep the info coming guys the dates set for next Friday night we are hitting up banjo Patterson reserve so keep the info. Coming guys

Edited by brettmann

Got a call from a mate fishing cabarita wharf early hours of this morning who got absolutely smoked on his Jew gear got spooled in a minute flat plus a bent eye on his rod so I'll take that as a bull, so they are deffinately there keep the info coming guys the dates set for next Friday night we are hitting up banjo Patterson reserve so keep the info. Coming guys

Brett, I have info from a good source on this site that the new moon phase is the go for the Bull's, (ie. this week and next week)

After this moon phase they move out into the main harbour and offshore in search and prey on the Taylor and Salmon schools on the beches and big headlands where deep water is in close.

There are loads of Mullet moved back up the reaches of Parra and Lane Cove Rivers I see them every time I fish Lane Cove River but they arent as thick as when they are in spawning mode- but they are there...

Hey are you referring to next friday (16th July) if you are then I'll meet you there @ Banjo Patterson with my gear, I'll have a load of fresh mullet and Slimeys I collect them from Woy Woy co-op early next week.

Keep posting updates to this as I am peachy keen to come along and have a crack with ya.

Cheers mate for oganising this, going to be a cracking evening- I'll make sure Im prepared I think the TLD and game rod will be coming out of retirement, I might even see if I can rip my mates row boat so we can row the baits out as opposed to floating them out under balloons.

Anthony

:)

Hey Anthony,

very interesting stuff bout the moon phases, I can't argue as my best sharking nights have been just before or after the full, cheers for that little nugget!

And yes I am referring to the 16th and yeah banjo Patterson reserve at gladesville is the place gimme a call on Saturday and we'll tee it up I'll have my big penn senator 9/0 out so it'll be on for the big boys!

Well everything is in the works for friday night... burley organised, bait organised, rigs already made up, location scouted and sussed out, my gear is ready to rock and i've got 4 days till we're actually fishing!!! i thinks there will be another record button under my name soon enough... :thumbup:

keep an eye out for the report by myself or wannabefisho, this plan is not going to fail.. if we dont catch a bull shark i'm not coming home!!!!!! :mad3:

hi brett

i might see you there if i can get some mates to come. is banjo patterson reseve not far of victoria road. if so i know the one, do you fish off the warf or land base.

cheers matt

Well everything is in the works for friday night... burley organised, bait organised, rigs already made up, location scouted and sussed out, my gear is ready to rock and i've got 4 days till we're actually fishing!!! i thinks there will be another record button under my name soon enough... :thumbup:

keep an eye out for the report by myself or wannabefisho, this plan is not going to fail.. if we dont catch a bull shark i'm not coming home!!!!!! :mad3:

Dont worry Brett, we will be onto em mate! There is no such thing as failure, just donuts... and if I have it my way we will in the very least get some fishies!

Am going up to Woy Woy to source some fresh slimeys Thursday/Friday and a big arse bottle of tuna oil to add for the berley trail-

Im gettin my gear ready tomoz I hope its all good, Jew gear with 50lb braid and 80lb wind on mono leader and TLD25 with 20kg rod and 15kg IGFA mono- I'll probably get spooled if anything, lol.

There's a 12:30AM high tide so it looks if you guys get there around 7 and I get there about 8pm it should give us around 7 hours to play hard ball with some nice Noah's.

So we are all ready to go and Im AMPED! :yahoo:

See ya Friday night...

Anthony

hey mate, i used to live in gladesville not too far from banjo. i have a tinny that me and a mate used to take out every weekend and it was very common for us to see bullsharks on the water, usually just the fin cruisin by but just a couple of months ago we saw a shark come out of the water to take a sea gull off the surface, so therye definatly there.

hope this helps,

James

Brett, I have it on good advice that you need to go to the abbotoir or a big butcher and get yourself some cow blood. My brother in laws uncle used to fish for sharks and swears that a cup full of the blood in the water every 15min depending on the flow will bring any shark around in your vicinity. I know of a butcher in pendle hill which is prob the biggest in syd. I think if you get your hands on the blood your chances will increase ten fold from a wise mans knowledge. I will call them tomorrow and email you what I can get for you. If it is also possible I will bring my light tackle and come have a fish some time fri night. Cheers Andrew.

there have done tests on sharks regarding blood in the water

the sharks responded best to prawn blood and other fish blood

human and other mammal's got a response but nothing compared to the animals shark actually feed on

Thats SO true Simon, I saw the same doco a few months back- thats why I reckon Tuna Oil is going to bring the goods home for us.

Tuna Blood, Squid ink, Prawn blood and fish blood are natural attractants whereas cow blood wont get as much of a response.

As long as we have lots of fresh frames that are nice n juicy we should be in with a chance regardless.

Cheers

Anthony

Hey guys,

yeah it's all set for friday night, we've organised some cow's blood that'll be fresh on friday normally wouldn't use it or if i do only a small amount but seeing as how there will not be any swimmers around a little mixed into the burley shouldn't hurt.. i'm taking out my penn senator 9/0 spooled with 540yds of 80lb igfa mono i'll be using a 2 metre 600lb wire trace with the bait suspended about a metre under the surface with a balloon and the rod with be a 24kg game rod so i'll be set for whatever chooses to turn up.. but i'll also take my spin gear and have a throw to see what other yummies are hanging around. we've got burley organised and tackle and the entire night to sit back and wait :biggrin2: so untill i either hook a bull shark or the river cat i'm not going home ha ha ha :1prop: but with all the reports that have been coming in and the area we've chosen to fish we should be right in the thick of the action so hopefully all the moons align and the fishing gods are happy to let this plan work out or else the :wife: in all her infinate glory will have me yet again by the short and curlys saying i again came home for a doughnut :1badmood:

well hopefully you guys will keep any little info you got coming and again anyone who wants to come along feel free... always need an extra gaff man :tease:

there have done tests on sharks regarding blood in the water

the sharks responded best to prawn blood and other fish blood

That is true but try getting your hands on 10 litres of the stuff. Cows blood is easy and will only add to your berley and geting lots is easier. Obviously it is not the only thing you should use, but blood is the best option, better than tuna oil so maybe hit the fish markets on friday to see if anyone has any for you. I am sure with all the fish they gut and bleed there you will find something. Just means a bit of extra prep. Good luck