Rod Breakages?

Golden Monk

Have noticed recently a few people have broken their rods, now my Bday is coming up and I will most likely get a new quality rod and reel of some sort.

So....was wondering If I got something with a very high modulus graphite count that had a rating of 2-4kg and caught something like a big kingy or trev on it, is it likely that the rod would snap? ie..like djmacs post, or would that have snapped due to the way the fish ws being fought, drag settings etc.

Don't want to get a hgh quality rod if its going to snap with a big by catch or something.

Thanks! :biggrin2:

I think Allen Glover may be able to help out with the most common causes of rod breakage. Overloading them ie bending past the 90 degree point is a common one

I have NEVER broken a rod on a fish yet & I don't muck about & use plenty of drag & very frequently get BIG round ray bycatch :1prop:

ive never broken a rod either.

the one in my post was a really old rod and hadnt been touched for probably 5 years

that with some 6 pound braid and a solid king caused the damaged

my equivalent rod to the one he was using was an ian miller live fibre rod and it has no trouble against that sized fish (just takes u a while)

you get what you pay for a i guess too. the more you spend the better the rod will be but even the cheapo rods ive had i havent broken one!

Ahh, Great!, Thanks Guys...

I was beginning to think just stick with the cheap $100 or so rods.

My confidence has been restored, as I have never had a very high modulus rod before was a bit worried about getting one if they were going to break easily.

Guest bluecod
It's not all bad when you break a high quality rod, it means you get to buy a new one.  :biggrin2:

45043[/snapback]

Swoffa,

You and my wife have a lot in common - the only difference is that she prefers shoes :risata::risata:

Guest bluecod
Or maybe he's calling his wife a bloke...  :1prop:

45136[/snapback]

:074::074::074:

Hope she doesn't see this thread :wife::wife: [emoticon for run like hell]

If she breaks a part off her shoe she retaliates by buying two more pairs. Imelda Marcos was an amateur compared to my missus

Guest bluecod
:biggrin2: Bluecod, If ever our wives got to know each other and went shopping together, we would never be able to afford to go fishing again. Ben.

45157[/snapback]

:074::074:

Ben, The trick is to spend all your money on fishing gear and beat them to it :risata:

So far so good Allen, while chasing luderick with live shrimp i landed a 46cm EP and got totally smoked by another,still got brused knuckles from from the centerpin . :thumbup:

cheers

Mick

46106[/snapback]

Well thats a positive test!! did you like the action, is it what you expected ?

Edited by allen glover

Got to agree with Ken, and say that I have never broken a rod on a fish. Seen them shattered by overhead fans, snapped tips from car doors, seen them run over, watched incredulously as a mate snapped an original 10kg Ugly Stick by jerking it hard to try and get off a snag...but never ever on a fish...

Bit like Jethro, I use and perhabs abuse them by throwing them around a bit but never a breakage. Biggest issue that I have (especially with the single foot runners such as those on light spin gear), is that the leader knot causes some damage and I'm forever replacing runners.

Any thoughts ..... Jethro your a breamo....do you use wind on leaders or what...How do you prevent this damage? (I'm using 2kg fireline with 4-6kg Maxima trace, - the Rod is a Loomis GL3 matched with a Shimano Sustain 2000.).

Guest bluecod
I'm not Jethro, but I'll offer my 2 cents...

Your GL3 has alconite guides so they shouldn't damage that easily.

What knot are you tying?  A well tied albright won't cause any damage to the guides...

Maybe some decent flourocarbon leader will help also, the mono you're using could be to thick. 4-8lb leader is ample for most breaming situations.

What do you mean by wind-ons? Generally, the leader shouldn't be long enough to actually wind on to the spool before casting.

Hope that helps.  :biggrin2:

46225[/snapback]

Deckie3 generally ties the ever reliable Granny Knot :risata::risata:

Actually he can tie one of the sweetest plaits you'll come across when fishing heavy gear :thumbup:

I'm not Jethro, but I'll offer my 2 cents...

Your GL3 has alconite guides so they shouldn't damage that easily.

What knot are you tying?  A well tied albright won't cause any damage to the guides...

Maybe some decent flourocarbon leader will help also, the mono you're using could be to thick. 4-8lb leader is ample for most breaming situations.

What do you mean by wind-ons? Generally, the leader shouldn't be long enough to actually wind on to the spool before casting.

Hope that helps.  :biggrin2:

46225[/snapback]

Thanks Swoffa

I'm using a good albright, 600-700mm of 8-10lb (sometimes 12lb) trace....its not damage to the guide per sae...the action of the knot going through the guides stresses the top 3 runners. Being of a light single foot design the runner actually starts bending and eventually the foot stresses, cracks and breaks (I do fish this gear hard and regularly)....... its the action of the knot hitting the small guides on the cast that causes the problems .................. I'm a lure caster and this exascerbates the problem!!!!

Standard runners would solve the issue, except that its at the expense of a stiffer rod and more difficulty in casting the like of Minn minns, unweighted plastics etc etc

thanks for reply though

Thanks Swoffa

I'm using a good albright, 600-700mm of 8-10lb (sometimes 12lb) trace....its not damage to the guide per sae...the action of the knot going through the guides stresses the top 3 runners. Being of a light single foot design the runner actually starts bending and eventually the foot stresses, cracks and breaks (I do fish this gear hard and regularly)....... its the action of the knot hitting the small guides on the cast that causes the problems .................. I'm a lure caster and this exascerbates the problem!!!!

Standard runners would solve the issue, except that its at the expense of a stiffer rod and more difficulty in casting the like of Minn minns, unweighted plastics etc etc

thanks for reply though

46236[/snapback]

Run bigger guides near the tip or use low profile single foots insead. Cant bend them.

How old is the rod? Earlier loomis's have proprietory guides on them.

Edited by allen glover

Run bigger guides near the tip  or use low profile single foots insead. Cant bend them.

How old is the rod? Earlier loomis's have prorietory guides on them.

46244[/snapback]

Cheers Allen,

Thats another good thought re low profile.....I'm of the opinion of using bigger diameter guides...... The rod is 2 yrs old...the latest similar GLX 3's have the same issue

I think you can come up with all these U-beaut leader knots but we need to remember that most of the time they need to be rigged quickly and in situ, no time for lovely Stren tapered and glued knots.

I feel worried that I might be the only one with this issue so I'm naturally looking at what I'm tieing and what I'm doing.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Well thats a positive test!! did you like the action, is it what you expected ?

46126[/snapback]

G'day Allen, yeah the action is good, it loades up niceley and has plenty left in the butt . I was not not quite sure what to expect, but after a couple off sessions i think it suits my style niceley. It was eyes closed fingers crossed before the leader popped on the pylon,but so far so good.

thanks again

Mick