Botany Trevs

Sorry about the late post, this is from the weekend....

What a fantastic day saturday arvo was. For the middle of winter the conditions could not have been any better for a nice afternoon yak with some of my good buddies. Luderick Luke had told of some monster trevally in Botany Bay that he'd been stirring up on blades, so our mission was set to find some of these thumpers. Myself, Luke, Craigtempo and a visiting friend Lindo met up at the local tackleshop to beef up our arsenal of lures. I would have liked to have beefed up my line class too when I realised I'd only taken my 2 Symetres loaded with 4lb braid. Luke had been smashed up on his 8lb setup a few days previous, so I was expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

We set out and I couldn't help throwing some plastics at the moored boats and was onto a bream first cast. As I yelled out to Craig that I was on he yelled back the same! I was feeling confident of a good session. We came across a boat fishing with plastics and I watched wincing as one of their lines peeled off at a blistering rate of knots straight into a bridge pylon. Not the first time it had happened to them either. My confidence kind of wavered as I looked at the silly string coiled around my spool. I flicked the blades around for a bit, but nothing was happening for me yet. Feeling like it would be better time spent flicking for bream, I went back to that. I came across Craig fishing a wall so I joined him and threw some gulps at it but nothing much was happening there either. Luke then came to join us, and in true Luke style first cast into the area we were fishing and he's on, loudly exclaiming his excitement as he pulls up a beeeeea-uty of a bream over the 35 mark. To add insult to injury, a few more casts later he flicked his magical blade along the wall further down and pulls up a BIGGER Bream!!

post-4457-127917569647_thumb.jpg

post-4457-12791757058_thumb.jpg

What a big gob! Same with the fish!

The plastics were promptly stored away for the duration of the afternoon, and we headed towards another spot were Luke fancied a chance at these big trevs. After about 10 minutes of flicking, Luke's on AGAIN!! "Time for you to go home now mate" I yelled at him as he pulls in a nice example of the target species. Nice, but a far cry from the thumpers we were promised. Shortly after that, it was my turn. Some nice weight was circling under the yak, but it was not to be, as he spat and bolted. Craig and Lindo shortly after, had a double hookup of some absolutely monster whiting. I've never seen them so huge. I was feeling a bit left out, but I eventually got the monkey off my back with a trev around the same size as Lukes and a comp legal breambo.

post-4457-127917571731_thumb.jpg

Things got quiet and we decided to move spots with about an hour of sunlight left. Things really fired up at our new location under a bridge. I was almost immediately onto another 2 smaller trevs and it was who else but Luke who bagged the first AND the 2nd thumper of the evening, both around the 50cm mark. We scored a few more as the sun dropped. The secret seemed to be lots of fast little twitches followed by a pause, and the Trevs would even pick up the lure whilst it was sitting on the bottom doing nothing. Things eventually slowed so I tried a faster retrieve going buzz-stop-buzz-stop-buzz-stop etc and the first attempt was slammed hard. I felt some heavy weight, a few tail beats and then vvvzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now I'm in trouble... I called it for a king, but in hindsight a king probably would have managed to ping me on the pylon, the crafty buggers they are. This thing went hard, but I managed to steer him away from the structure with the help of the waters current and wear him out in safer territory. Trying to net a big angry fish prematurely is a waste of time, but thinking logically with the dose of adrenaline I'd just received was not an easy task. Neither is using a net the same size as the fish. After some more clumsy fumbles with the net, and some more beating and thrashing from the fish he begrudgingly flopped into my grasp. On the lie detector, and whatdyaknow I managed to beat Lukes PB of the day by a MASSIVE 2cm!

post-4457-127917572837_thumb.jpg

We didn't find the Big BIG fella that Luke scored last time which was on the 60 mark but I wasnt complaining as you can see from the smile on face. Great end a beautiful day on the water.

post-4457-127917574243_thumb.jpg

Edited by yakfishing

Outstanding post and great fishing :thumbup: . I am glad someone got onto decent fish on Saturday as they weren't biting in the Georges River on Saturday :thumbdown: . Those Trevs must have really tested your light tackle and got your heart pumping.

Hey Tristan,

Excellent report mate.

What an awesome arvo hey!

Big Gob hey, I'll remember that one mate for my next report. Oh that scream of yours after that big trevor you landed.

Well my mum could do better then that.haha

Welldone to Lyndo and Craig on those awesome winter whiting.

cheers

L.L

great report

its good to see there is fish around to be caught in winter

i personally fail too many times and now im waiting for summer

what bridges are those?

would that happen to be the cooks river?

cheers

Way to go boys!! WHat an awesome session there! Well done on the blades & those nice breambos, Luke - great Trev, Tristan!! Glad to see Craig mixing it up with you, too!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Yeah it was a fantastic session and unfortunately we left with the fish still biting [ getting to dark ]. there were many double hookups .luke even managed to hook and land a tyre ................ it put up a good fight to :1prop::1prop:

conditions were perfect and i was in the company of some good blokes .

i had my first fish on a blade .... 75mm snapper .put up a hell of a fight NOT . :1prop: but then i hooked a very decent whiting on the blades .

so i guess they do work :1prop:

anyway it was a great session and i look forward to the next one .

craig

oh and no matter how hard i tried i coulnd mannage a travely :mad3:

Edited by craigtempo