Tying Knots In 200Lb Mono

brettmann86

Hey Raiders,

i generally use 200lb mono as a shock leader when chasing noah's just a curious question as i generally just crimp it, how or can you tie knots in this stuff as it's like whipper snipper cable?

excuse me if it's a dumb question but yeah i've just always crimped it and had no problems but i'm always keen on learning new stuff

Cheers Brett

Hey Raiders,

i generally use 200lb mono as a shock leader when chasing noah's just a curious question as i generally just crimp it, how or can you tie knots in this stuff as it's like whipper snipper cable?

excuse me if it's a dumb question but yeah i've just always crimped it and had no problems but i'm always keen on learning new stuff

Cheers Brett

You can try 10 half hitch on the knot it's really strong.

i used to know a guy who lives in the gold coast and uses plenty of heavy line....anything over 100lb is crimped as its easier and it also tests better for lines >130lb. if u REALLY wanna do a knot then i heard lots of ppl talk about the trilene knot. quick google search brings this up for you:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5687408_tie-thick-monofilament-fishing-lines.html

stefan

The most simple yet reliable knot...........even in heavy mono's like 200lb.........3 turn Uni-knot.

Make sure you use pliers to cinch it down tight.

As a general rule........more turns in your uni-knot when the line is lighter.....less turns when the line is really heavy. :) 3 turns is plenty strong for heavy mono's....any more turns and the knot won't close properly.

Cheers,

Wacko

If I were you I'd keep on keepin' on. Keep crimping it, but if you must tie a knot the only 1 to use (and I think the only 1 you could physically tie) is as said above the uni. No disrespect intended but the trilene knot is a light line (under 20lb) knot, similar to a locked bloodknot.

cheers

You have to use supple lines and not FC if you want to tie it well, 3 turn uni as Jack said would be my choice.

I have tied this well with twin 80lb twisty's to 200lb supple bite leaders and it ties neat with heaps of strength, great for popping or jigging.

G