Fromelles France 19 July 10 Part 1

Floating_Medic

Hi folks,

I only recently got back from a trip to France with work to participate in the re-internment of 2 WW1 soldiers. One in Fromelles and one in Prowse Point, Belgium.

Here are a few pics of the trip.

This is the spot just next to Pheasant wood where the 250 British and Australian soldiers were discovered.

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

If you enlarge this picture, you can read the history behind the Fromelles cemetery.

037-1.jpg

038.jpg

The cemetery before it was open to the public. I was one of the first Australian soldiers to view it.

041.jpg

Me at the entrance to the cemetery.

042.jpg

A billboard in the town of Fromelles to remind the people that live there about the history and what the Brits and Aussies did for them against the oncoming enemy. Australia lost over 5000 troops in less than 24 hours in the battle of Fromelles. Our greatest loss in such a short time in Australian war history. Some of the men that went over the trenches were only 16 years old!

044.jpg

More to follow in parts 2,3 and 4

It must have been very moving Floating_Medic to be part of the events as well as a great honour. I understand your pride in your uniform and heritage that represents a long history of Australian servicemen and servicewoman. :thumbup:

My grandfather served in France in WWI. One day I would like to visit some of the memorials to Aussie diggers that you mention.

We should be grateful for all men and women who served their country in the past, as well as those (such as yourself) who serve today. Your posts are a fitting tribute.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Thanks Floating Medic - what an incredibly moving & eloquent series of posts. My Grand mother lost 2 brothers in France in WW1. Pretty well every family in Australia either lost or closely knew someone who died in that war.

What an amazing honour to be a part of the Australian Army Participation in the internment of the latest Diggers who's remains were only discovered recently.

Also incredible that, nearly 100 years later, that the town still remembers and honours the War Dead from Australia.

Thanks

Roberta

It must have been very moving Floating_Medic to be part of the events as well as a great honour. I understand your pride in your uniform and heritage that represents a long history of Australian servicemen and servicewoman. :thumbup:

My grandfather served in France in WWI. One day I would like to visit some of the memorials to Aussie diggers that you mention.

We should be grateful for all men and women who served their country in the past, as well as those (such as yourself) who serve today. Your posts are a fitting tribute.

Cheers

Peter

My Grandfather also served in France in WW1 & WW2 - couldn't have said it better myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Peter

Thanks heaps Peter, it means alot to me mate.

Hope this post finds you well.

Alan.