Overhead Advice

patchy

Hey guys just bought a cheap temporary rod (Melaluka Mark II) and need advice on a budget overhead to suit, i will mainly use them off the rocks around jervis bay, and occasionally in a boat. price limit around 120-150 the cheaper the better. these are both temporary so i am just looking for something to keep me busy for the time being.

any advice is much appreciated. ta.

G/day Patchy,

myself overhead reels are on their own,in the last 40 years

have only had one other reel.

seeing as its only tempory online shop has some very good jap reels well inside your range.

cheers Rick.

G/day Patchy,

myself overhead reels are on their own,in the last 40 years

have only had one other reel.

seeing as its only tempory online shop has some very good jap reels well inside your range.

cheers Rick.

If its temp, look up some reels on online shop.... Around $50 you'll pick one up....new

I would go to the local tackle store in your area and take the rod so the staff can help match something up and you get to support the local tackle store industry , to many people are buying gear online in my opinion and if it keeps going this way then in years to come we won't have that many actual tackle stores left . When going to tackle stores you can often get a lot of tips and helpful info that these online stores don't provide . Sure occasionally I will get something online that I can't buy here in Aus but the rest I buy from Real Tackle stores, and when you get to know the staff they will often give you some good tips on whats biting at that moment , how they are being caught and they will have a variety of tactics for you to try.

:au:

I would go to the local tackle store in your area and take the rod so the staff can help match something up and you get to support the local tackle store industry , to many people are buying gear online in my opinion and if it keeps going this way then in years to come we won't have that many actual tackle stores left . When going to tackle stores you can often get a lot of tips and helpful info that these online stores don't provide . Sure occasionally I will get something online that I can't buy here in Aus but the rest I buy from Real Tackle stores, and when you get to know the staff they will often give you some good tips on whats biting at that moment , how they are being caught and they will have a variety of tactics for you to try.

:au:

Alot of the guys that sell tackle online are actually tackle stores.. If you want a cheap temporary reel or rod, online is the way to go.. If you want a decent long term reel, then sure... go to the store and get some advice....

seem to have some extra cash come my way after deciding not to buy a car after losing my licence. so i can put some more cash into buying an overhead. any one know of any specific reels they can tel me about for a price range of 250 to use mostly off the rocks and occasionly off a boat. thanks.

You need to tell as bit on how you intend to use the outfit. Eg are you casting with it? Spinning or bait fishing? What lure or sinker weights? What size/ species of fish? What line weight? It's not possible to recommend a reel without this information.

mate im just starting on overheads so not too sure, probably send out live bait on them, trolling every now and then when on a boat, and casting bait off rocks.

Overheads will only cast a bait with a substantial sized sinker eg 3 or 4oz. This makes them good for casting a snapper bait out 80-100m with a heavy lead, but not much use for general bait fishing off the rocks. As mentioned the Toriums and Saltists are a good choice. You could also look at the Okuma MagSystem overheads. They have a magnetic anti-backlash system which is quite effective and they are quite a bit cheapers as well. The MS-30CS is a handy size.

Overheads will only cast a bait with a substantial sized sinker eg 3 or 4oz. This makes them good for casting a snapper bait out 80-100m with a heavy lead, but not much use for general bait fishing off the rocks. As mentioned the Toriums and Saltists are a good choice. You could also look at the Okuma MagSystem overheads. They have a magnetic anti-backlash system which is quite effective and they are quite a bit cheapers as well. The MS-30CS is a handy size.

in that case, probably wont be casting, mostly sending out live bait, is there something for light to medium game fishing? or is this question in the wrong section?

TLD 15 or 20.

Great for trolling and sending livies down deep. Lever drag graphite and reasonably bullet proof.

Used them for years on small yellowfin,albacore and kingies in NZ. Straylined for big snapper on the deeper reefs with no problem.

If casting wind just take care and use a small amount of thumb pressure or drag.

Cheers Rowan

cant go past the abu 7000

peter 1fishing1.gif

Make that X 3 for me, I have used Overheads since I was 12 and I ONLY use ABU's for casting- top reels (I have 2 X 7000's- a 7000i and a 7000C3), I have tried multipe times to get my TLD25 to cast but its a pain in the butt, lol

I started using the old Daiwa Millionaire 6H on a 6 foot UglyStick baitcasting rod and interchangeable handle to a double handed baitcaster an I reckon I could cast it as far if not further then I could cast my 450 Alvey @ the time which was matched to a much longer rod and same line class.

I use my 7000's on every charter and they are a very capable reel for most pelagics you are likely to encounter in your area, and is quite versatile reel for Snapper, Mowies and other reefies on the South Coast, have caught Tuna and other stuff trolling on charters handles them no problems.

I have never found the level wind to cause friction as discussed in another post- quite the contrary- I reckon its better at time to have a levelwind on your reel- esp for novices who arent used to laying down the line properly while fightin a fish of any size- seen many of my mates try them on charters to end up going back to Alvey Snapper Reels and spin gear... something you just gotta get used to I suppose.

However, casting with overheads takes practice, practice, practice... I hope you have a big vacant lot or park near you.... go there with some casting plugs, learn how to thumb the spool and once you master that you can tackle the bigger things like distance and accuracy.

Just an idea of how long it might take to master- When I first started it took me 6 weeks of casting 4 hours a day out the front of my house on a vacant strip of land, just to get to a point where I could cast without any backlash (not distance or accurate castying either).

With that being said- if you are doing more live baiting and ballooning then a TLD would be better- but it depends on what you are using it for, unfortunately its hard to get an overhead with the best of both for game fishing/livebaiting and casting ability- and if they are they cost a lot more than your budget in many cases.

Just be prepared to lose lots of line to backlash if you attempt to cast and also be prepared to learn to lay line on properly- if you persist you will get iot down pat but its not going to be an overnight thing- takes more time than I reckon its worth these days- if I was starting out live baiting and the like I'd just go straight for a 12000 baitrunner for more practical, less moving parts, lighter, easier to cast when you need it.

What else is there to say really- do your homework before you buy-

I know a guy who just bought a Shimano Calcutta and he tried using it casting plugs @ Barra in the top end every day for 6 months- seriously he did. Every week he had to respool the braid on the reel so we went through around $800- in braid before he sold a near new reel for $200- out of sheer frustration!

Would hate to hear that happening to another person- what a waste of time and $$$, he's now gone back to conventional spin gear and reckons the rewards are 1000% on the overhead!

Anyway good luck with it

Tight lines

Anthony

smile.gif

Make that X 3 for me, I have used Overheads since I was 12 and I ONLY use ABU's for casting- top reels (I have 2 X 7000's- a 7000i and a 7000C3), I have tried multipe times to get my TLD25 to cast but its a pain in the butt, lol

I started using the old Daiwa Millionaire 6H on a 6 foot UglyStick baitcasting rod and interchangeable handle to a double handed baitcaster an I reckon I could cast it as far if not further then I could cast my 450 Alvey @ the time which was matched to a much longer rod and same line class.

I use my 7000's on every charter and they are a very capable reel for most pelagics you are likely to encounter in your area, and is quite versatile reel for Snapper, Mowies and other reefies on the South Coast, have caught Tuna and other stuff trolling on charters handles them no problems.

I have never found the level wind to cause friction as discussed in another post- quite the contrary- I reckon its better at time to have a levelwind on your reel- esp for novices who arent used to laying down the line properly while fightin a fish of any size- seen many of my mates try them on charters to end up going back to Alvey Snapper Reels and spin gear... something you just gotta get used to I suppose.

However, casting with overheads takes practice, practice, practice... I hope you have a big vacant lot or park near you.... go there with some casting plugs, learn how to thumb the spool and once you master that you can tackle the bigger things like distance and accuracy.

Just an idea of how long it might take to master- When I first started it took me 6 weeks of casting 4 hours a day out the front of my house on a vacant strip of land, just to get to a point where I could cast without any backlash (not distance or accurate castying either).

With that being said- if you are doing more live baiting and ballooning then a TLD would be better- but it depends on what you are using it for, unfortunately its hard to get an overhead with the best of both for game fishing/livebaiting and casting ability- and if they are they cost a lot more than your budget in many cases.

Just be prepared to lose lots of line to backlash if you attempt to cast and also be prepared to learn to lay line on properly- if you persist you will get iot down pat but its not going to be an overnight thing- takes more time than I reckon its worth these days- if I was starting out live baiting and the like I'd just go straight for a 12000 baitrunner for more practical, less moving parts, lighter, easier to cast when you need it.

What else is there to say really- do your homework before you buy-

I know a guy who just bought a Shimano Calcutta and he tried using it casting plugs @ Barra in the top end every day for 6 months- seriously he did. Every week he had to respool the braid on the reel so we went through around $800- in braid before he sold a near new reel for $200- out of sheer frustration!

Would hate to hear that happening to another person- what a waste of time and $$$, he's now gone back to conventional spin gear and reckons the rewards are 1000% on the overhead!

Anyway good luck with it

Tight lines

Anthony

smile.gif

thanks for that info mate, much appreciated, probably end up buying an overhead for balloons, livebait and trolling.

Sounds like casting is not an issue. A Shimano TLD would be a good choice for livebaiting - what size depends how ambitious you are. A TLD25 with 15kg line would probably the minimum suitable for the rocks of Jervis Bay. You could even go for a TLD50 with 24kg line. This is not overkill given the huge kingies found in that area as well as the chance of a marlin off the rocks. You might have to upgrade your rod though.

Sounds like casting is not an issue. A Shimano TLD would be a good choice for livebaiting - what size depends how ambitious you are. A TLD25 with 15kg line would probably the minimum suitable for the rocks of Jervis Bay. You could even go for a TLD50 with 24kg line. This is not overkill given the huge kingies found in that area as well as the chance of a marlin off the rocks. You might have to upgrade your rod though.

ye mate the tld 50 sounds good, the rod is not an issue as it is just temporary and i will be upgrading as soon as possible

ye mate the tld 50 sounds good, the rod is not an issue as it is just temporary and i will be upgrading as soon as possible

Yes you don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime because you are undergunned.

Edited by billfisher