Harbour Blackies With Roosterman (Steve)

wannabefisho

This morning was an early start for me- I had organised to meet Steve (roosterman), Simon (framedtrash) and Alex in the harbour for a luderick session.

After getting there and clambering down the rock wall we berleyed and deployed our flotilla of floats and fresh green weed...

It was real low tide when we arrived and as I never rigged up floats I was under instruction from Steve on how to do it- after watching eagerly I tentatively ties on my float and size 8 hook with a few splitshots and did a test cast- PERFECT!

More instruction on tying on weed and I was nearly set to go- after watching Steve for a few casts I was then "ready".

Some more berley was deployed and we got a few "downs" and my second cast I actually hooked up after a tentative take from a reasonable fish- I played him all the way to the kelp bed only a few feet in front of me- whereby I did the most STUPID thing I could have done and tried reeling her in, and I pulled the hooks
1badmood.gif

I rigged up another bait and cast out again- and I only had to wait a few seconds and I was ON again- to a better fish this time- I actually took my time and low and behold I saw a good fish emerge from the kelp, I was SO cheering with excitement, then my knot failed...
ranting2.gif

Seem there is going to be one fat blackie running around with some nice green jewellery attached to his lips.

Time went on and the wind came up, Simon was on next and got a legal fish on 6lb gear, then Alex got a legal too, then Simon stole the show with a top 40cm+ model from the wharf that he had to walk back to the stones for netting.

I was waiting for Steve's "rooster float" to go down and DOWN it went, in a hurry!

and a few minutes later up came another legal blackie to add to the bag... By this stage I was still fishless and wasnt getting any downs but I tried harder in very windy conditions- but my braid kept flapping and wrapping around Alex's gear and we both got pretty frustrated!

Steve finally netted another 2 and I called it quits to come home- a good decision as the wind and rain setin not long afterwards on my way back to Lane Cove

Was a great day learning about blackies, rigging up and tying off green weed, something I havent done in many many years and I learned a few valuable lessons for the future.

Thanks again Steve for a top morning, I learned a lot and know next time what not to do, but its all part of the learning process and you are a good guide and instructor
thumbup.gif

Tight lines

Anthony

smile.gif

Bad luck Anthony, on dropping your good fish!! Unfortunately, that tends to happen when you are learning ...... and even later on, when you think you know what you are doing! :wacko: You have been taught by 'the master' so will have a fair idea of rigging & how deep to fish etc! Now it is just a matter of getting out there again & giving it another go!!

Good luck & well done on the boys for bringing home the blackies, still one of the best eating fish in the sea (and the most fun to catch!!!)

Cheers

Roberta

Well done fellas and thanks Steve for taking the time and effort to show new fishos the ropes.

Steve you will now have a new MENTOR signature below your name,congratulations.

Cheers Stewy

as Anthony said it was a great day out

thanks to Steve's and Alex's advise i got my first blackie

i was fishing with my little 7 foot plastics rod with a little 2500 reel but it seemed to do the job ok

going to try to hold off the temptation to go and buy another new combo for a fishing for blackies

well at least for a while

thanks again Steve looking forward to getting into some of the larger models

heres a pic of the catch

post-9349-128186493851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Framedtrash

Thanks Roberta for the encouragement, I was a bit dirty on myself for dropping the fish- but like I said it was a lesson learned...

Hopefully I'll get out there either next weekend with Steve again or maybe a midweek solo bash now I know the spot at least and I know where I can pickup some weed now, and having basic knowledge of the rigs and methods its just about practice, practice, practice...

I'll definitely persist with this its great fun and they sure put up a good fight for their size.

Will let everyone know once I get another session up my sleeve hopefully I can bag that first blackie.

We did see some big boils in close to where we were and a big school of whitebait going bananas in close but couldnt see what was chasing it, it disapprared pretty quickly too- might have been a school of kingies or something- sure made a heap of noise splashing around the surface.

cannot wait till next time

Anthony

:)

well it was an eventfull day and conditions were far from ideal especially for 2 blacky virgins...

started at sunup and after some tutoring from me and Alex on rigs and baits and advise on where to target the flotilla was deployed and bombarded with burly...

Anth was first to get some action as he said earlier and being all revved up and excited unfortunately hook pulled as net was getting ready...unlucky mate happens to everyone at times...

the downs were sporadic throughout the day and as i was turned getting another deployment of burly alex calls yr down and as i turn line pulls tight as it was like a rocket , woohooo ...

unfortunately this was a good fish and he already had a headstart..... he buried me deap into the kelp and after all my cunning tricks to get him out i was lucky to get float back but no fish...

oh well.. had to redo my rig as it was damaged... i rigged back up then had to fiddle for quiet a while to get it right with strong winds...

it seemed like it was going to be one of those days,murphy was going to visit me regularily ...

meanwhile anth and simon managed to hook up a couple more times with simon getting fish of the day,low 40's was netted... woooohoooo...

well done mate...

well i get rig good and into em i go and nice keeper then another one shade smaller than simons is netted...

anth loses his second one then soon after i get a ripper down and play it out and try explaining soft hands, lead fish etc,etc then bugger,pulled hook...like i said happens to everyone guys...

anyway we all had sporadic action and tally for the day was 3 for me and 3 lost,simon 2,alex 1 and Anth the consolation of me promising to get him onto some soon at another easier location...

thx for the company guys and considering the gear and conditions ya did pretty good...i enjoyed it..

special thx to Alex who was going to provide weed as i was originally not able to get time to gather some but eventually found heaps friday night... also thx for that fish too.....

when cleaning the 4 fish there was only 2 that had good amount of burly in them 3 were males in milt and one female in roe...

i think they were roaming around alot and not wanting to stay even though plenty burly was used at times..

Thx Stewy & Roberta for the compliment and i love seeing new guys experience the joys of blacky fishing and especially when its sooo cheap to do and not too difficult to get a feed...

forgot to get location shots but heres a couple of pics...

cheers....steve.....

post-2219-128187221667_thumb.jpg

post-2219-128187222405_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman