Prawns....raw Or Cooked?

Catchin Jack

Hi Raiders,

Was around a friends place today and the topic of using cooked prawns for bait is quite good. Once while fishing off a beach on the Central Coast an older guy came up and gave me a cooked prawn and told me to give it a go as the pillies and squid wasn't getting touched. So I put on this cooked prawn and within minutes it's getting hit like there's no tomorrow. I've never used cooked ones again but am thinking of trying it again when I take the boat out next to see how it goes.

Be interesting to hear other views on this and feedback on success with cooked prawns or even if you tried both ways...which do you prefer?

Look forward to the replies.

Cheers,

Leo

Edited by Fezza

Hi fezza, just like tangled said,if they don't work you can always

eat the bait.

I have used them with success,but like everything else,some days they will eat anything.

But nothing like a good size prawn from the GULF.

Cheers Rick.

I use them all the time and find them equal to green prawns. Will be using them tomorrow on the bay along with whitebait green prawns(marinated)

and slimey mackeral and squid.

I buy green banana prawns from markets and lightly cook them in garlic.

DONT GO WITH OUT THEM.

Hi Leo, use whatever bait you have available. No one can tell you that one sort of bait will or will not work. You only have to read some of the post on here to see that at one time or other someone has caught fish on some of the most unusual baits around.

Regards Jeff

Hi Raiders,

Was around a friends place today and the topic of using cooked prawns for bait is quite good. Once while fishing off a beach on the Central Coast an older guy came up and gave me a cooked prawn and told me to give it a go as the pillies and squid wasn't getting touched. So I put on this cooked prawn and within minutes it's getting hit like there's no tomorrow. I've never used cooked ones again but am thinking of trying it again when I take the boat out next to see how it goes.

Be interesting to hear other views on this and feedback on success with cooked prawns or even if you tried both ways...which do you prefer?

Look forward to the replies.

Cheers,

Leo

I prefer cooked,got 2 kgs for $15.00 yesterday.Much better than frozen servo prawns.I find that they stay on the hook better,cast better,don't turn black after a couple of hours,can be refrozen with out falling apart,and you have something to chomp on through out the day..

Growing up near a river that holds plenty of trout we would use cooked prawns for them and done real well they even out fished the garden worms by far and they were better to carry than live yabbies. We never tried them raw on the trout as i think the red colour helped in the clear water.