Line Colours For Saltwater Applications

wannabefisho

G'Day Everyone,

After thinking about line colours for some time and thought I'd share some of my findings with you all.

Light V's Dark Colours:

I am "'led" to belive that the flouro colours are better for chucking lures around as hi-vis colours are easier for the angler to see on the water, making it better to visually see the strikes... the darker colours again Im led to believe make for better when bottom bouncing, live baiting and trolling.

Personally I use both green and flouro yellow when im fishin and the fish dont seem to care too much, but I use a long piece of flourocarbon leader of about a rod length depending on where I am and the water clarity in a general area- the murkier the water I use a short leader and when its gin clear I make it longer, up to 1 and a half rod lengths in rivers and 1m to 1.5m from the surf and rocks.

HOWEVER...- Visual location of the line above waterline is one thing, but remember that as the depth of water increases then the original colour changes as it gets deeper.

This Started to make me think about where and how deep I fish and the science behind it that comes into play!!!

The Science part:

Water selectively scatters and absorbs certain wavelengths of visible light. The long wavelengths of the light spectrum—red, yellow, and orange—can penetrate to approximately 15, 30, and 50 meters (49, 98, and 164 feet), respectively, while the short wavelengths of the light spectrum—violet, blue and green—can penetrate further, to the lower limits of the euphotic zone. Blue penetrates the deepest, which is why deep, clear ocean water and some tropical water appear to be blue most of the time. Moreover, clearer waters have fewer particles to affect the transmission of light, and scattering by the water itself controls color. Water in shallow coastal areas tends to contain a greater amount of particles that scatter or absorb light wavelengths differently, which is why sea water close to shore may appear more green or brown in color.

Taken from http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-...the-Ocean.html

*** Just for anyone interested in the way light (colours and spectrums) are absorbed and refracted in marine environments- this might explain who some colours lines (including mono and braid) work better than others at certain depths and using different techniques.

Tight lines

Anthony

I always wondered about the light spectum as I know when I have been diving at about 20m all you see are shades of grey unless you introduce a light such as a torch then you see colour. I guess i just thought fish see colour or shades of grey different to us.