Blood N Bone As Burley

spaners

Evening all.

Thinking of using blood n bone in the burley instead of Tuna oil{T/oil $10.00 p/lt--Blood n bone powder $20.00 for 20kgs.Any one used this stuff apart from in the garden,if so how did it go.I know all the dogs in my area love,it sure does stink.

Regards Stu.

Hey Stu,

yes it does work! my father put me onto years ago... they used to use it back in the day and i started using it quite reguarly..

and it works like no-body's business mix it up with a bit of soaked bread and you've got yourself one of the cheapest forms of berley going!!

Is this stuff bought from garden centre's thats sold as fertiliser? Is it the pure stuff or is 90% ok?

Hey mate, you can get the powder, or liquid at most any nursery, and some places like bunnings etc too.

The liquid one is good too, you can mix a cap full in 9 litres of water, and then soak bread in the water..

I'll have to try blood and bone; chicken layer pellets are pretty good too. They contain cereal, animal protein and bone in a handy little pellet that sinks as it breaks up. Used pellets many a time for very good result.

Cheers

Jiggy

I'll have to try blood and bone; chicken layer pellets are pretty good too. They contain cereal, animal protein and bone in a handy little pellet that sinks as it breaks up. Used pellets many a time for very good result.

Cheers

Jiggy

Thanks for the feedback.I was thinking along the lines of soaking chicken pellets in a blood n bone soup mix and freezing it.

Regards Stu.

Hey Stu, that mixture you are going to make up,

my cattle dog would go ape shit over that,He loves fish,

I have to tie him up when I use blood and bone,If I leave the lid off my soaked chicken

pellets,He cleans them up to. Thats got to be a good omen

for you all the ingredients he likes and your feeding it to his favourite meal.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards Rick.

Edited by rickb

Thanks for the feedback.I was thinking along the lines of soaking chicken pellets in a blood n bone soup mix and freezing it.

Regards Stu.

That sounds pretty cool. What you may want to do is let the pellets soak enough in the mix until they start to break up, then freeze them. When you stick them in your burley bucket then you'll get a fine stream of mixture as the block melts. This could be good in low flow areas but not so good where there is a lot of current or depth? Maybe mix it, up some soaked and some not, so they travel a bit before breaking up? What do you think?

Gee I like these sorts of experiments!

Cheers

Jiggy

That sounds pretty cool. What you may want to do is let the pellets soak enough in the mix until they start to break up, then freeze them. When you stick them in your burley bucket then you'll get a fine stream of mixture as the block melts. This could be good in low flow areas but not so good where there is a lot of current or depth? Maybe mix it, up some soaked and some not, so they travel a bit before breaking up? What do you think?

Gee I like these sorts of experiments!

Cheers

Jiggy

"Gee I like these kinds of experiments"

HAHA Couldn't agree more...

I'll be mixing and freezing different make ups this weekend for sure. Mrs will be happy when she asks whats in those containers in the freezer....

Edited by BreamChaser

Hey Stu, that mixture you are going to make up,

my cattle dog would go ape shit over that,He loves fish,

I have to tie him up when I use blood and bone,If I leave the lid off my soaked chicken

pellets,He cleans them up to. Thats got to be a good omen

for you all the ingredients he likes and your feeding it to his favourite meal.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards Rick.

I know what you mean,my Boxer goes off when I use blood n bone in the garden.I also have to watch her when I defrost a block of Pillies as she tends to eat them frozen.Mmmm frozen pillie ice blocks!Good for the summer.

Well the great thing bout using that stuff as burley is i can actually still feel weight in my wallet after i've bought it all....

40kg blood and bone = $35.99

30kg chook pellets = $24.75

2 bags of day old bread = $6.00

mix it up with some water and whatever else scraps you have and you'll have enough berley to have the fish steaming all the way from costa rica.....

MUCH cheaper than pilchards and tuna oil....

plus if you get the powder blood and bone you can keep your burley out of the freezer for months at a time to make room for all the big cracking big fish you'll catch....

that post the other day about keeping fish in one area with constant burley.. if i had to try it i'd use that beacause bang for your buck it's ten times cheaper than anything else