13 Foot Fibreglass Savage Boat

brettmann86

Hey Raiders,

i just managed to pick up a 13foot savage fobreglass boat as a project picked it up for an unbeleivable $51 no trailer though so no real biggie i'll work on that lol...

now just curious guys what size engine will i need to motor this thing along??

i don't have a boat licence so i'm just curious will i get away with a motor under 10hp or will i have to bite the bullet and get a licence and go with a bigger motor??

only want to do inshore fishing in it, just around pittwater and in the bay and possibly the harbour so just thought i'd ask people with more knowledge than myself

Mate my grandfather had a 14 foot tiller steer with a 6HP on the back and it got us to where we needed no problems...

BUT if you want to get there and back faster then go get a 25 or 30HP, your boat would take likely a MAX of 30 anyhow...

I reckon bite the bullet and get a 30HP tiller steer then you can add the bits and pieces like sounder, GPS, you can also get portable nav lights that have suction caps and are easy to use and aid when out @ night.

If you want a few contacts I know a few guys who make custom rod holders and stuff like that for boats... flick me a PM I'll send you their details... for a trip out on it when its up and runnin biggrin2.gif

Anthony

:)

are you sure??

Mate he is spot-on... Here's the link to Maritime Services Website re: licensing...

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/boatingsafety.html

I quote from this site:

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence."

SO, technically you can have the worlds fastest and biggesty boat- and as long as you drive it @ less then 10 knots you DONT need a license...

Anthony

I agree also,

the other thing is staying under 1o knots is hard when you know you have a boat capable of going faster the temptation will always be there

good luck,

Regards,

Nathan

Nath you took the words right out of my mouth, I didnt want to insinuate that because one has more "power" you have to use it though, lol

... Still I totally agree

GET A LICENSE WILL SAVE YOU IN THE FUTURE!

Anthony

I was told by the water police on Sydney harbour last summer that my son could drive my boat as long as he didn't go over 10 knots as he didn't have a licence. Its still a good idea to get a licence though as it opens up a lot of options when you are looking to power your boat. The fibreglass savage is e heavy boat and would need a decent motor to get it onto the plane so you would have to have a licence unless you intend putting everywhere pushing a lot of water and using twice as much fuel compared to being up on top of the water.

Regards Jeff

I was told by the water police on Sydney harbour last summer that my son could drive my boat as long as he didn't go over 10 knots as he didn't have a licence. Its still a good idea to get a licence though as it opens up a lot of options when you are looking to power your boat. The fibreglass savage is e heavy boat and would need a decent motor to get it onto the plane so you would have to have a licence unless you intend putting everywhere pushing a lot of water and using twice as much fuel compared to being up on top of the water.

Regards Jeff

Thanks Guys,

greatly appreciate all the advice and after sitting down working it out i think i'll go with about a 30hp motor and just bite the bullet and get a licence,

boats got a little work to be done to it before i'm happy with it cause i'm kind of a perfectionist lol :biggrin2: i'll have it up and running by january but till then it's time to get my handyman thinking hat on and get the new toy looking A1!!!

you can still have a larger motor with no lincence,you just cant go over 10 knots.

That must be a new law,when did that come in.

Mate I would get a license,with a fibreglass boat and

depending what pitch you have on prop,you could be doing more

than 10 knot by the time she planes.It's no hassle getting

license Brett.

Cheers Rick.

Edited by rickb

THATS THE ONE MATE JUST GET THE LICENCE AS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN FOR A LIFE TIME OF BOATING AND THE LICENCE IS THE WAY,IT ALSO TEACHES YOU WHILST READING ABOUT IT THE THINGS THAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW EVEN AT SLOW SPEED,BETTER TO BE SAFE ,i HAVE A SAVAGE 1/2 CABIN 15 FOOT MYSELF AND YES THE ARE HEAVY AND THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE FEELING OF GETTING UP ON THE PLANE.HAVE FUN BUD AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROJECT