Galvanic Corrosion

njg02

I have a stainless anchor light pole at about 1000mm tall on the cabin of my glass boat and want to extend it to about 1300mm to clear my rack. If I can't find stainless, 19-20mm dia, would it be better to use aluminium or galvanised steel riveted to the base? Properly treated. I don't want to have to wire up another on top of the rack if I can help it.

Thanks

Neil

I have a stainless anchor light pole at about 1000mm tall on the cabin of my glass boat and want to extend it to about 1300mm to clear my rack. If I can't find stainless, 19-20mm dia, would it be better to use aluminium or galvanised steel riveted to the base? Properly treated. I don't want to have to wire up another on top of the rack if I can help it.

Thanks

Neil

njg02 It's unlikely you will be able to find 19 - 20 mm gal tube. Tube of that size is normally zinc plated which is not very resistant to salt water.

I needed 19mm for mine , was only able to find 20mm aluminium . I thought , 1mm should not make too muuch difference. WRONG.

It took me ages to reduce the size from 20 to 19mm especially working with 1mm thick tube.

Eventually got the job done.

Gary mentioned the OD but also check the ID required to ensure the plug socket fits inside the tube.

I later fitted a light to the top of the rocket launcher with the cables inside the RL tube. It's not a big job or expensive , all up , about $50.

If interested , PM me for details

Geoff

The light folds down so it will fit under the car port.

post-731-049873300 1283678856_thumb.jpg